Canadair CP-107 Argus conversion set

tnuag

Hopefully in June - two factors delayed it; covid-19 plus sheer volume, It has involved casting some 15,0000 individual resin parts and that takes a long time!

Edited by tnuag
spelling correction
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I would like to thank both Neil Gaunt and Mike Belcher for doing this conversion and decal set.  This is something I've wanted for a long time, and I'm waiting with baited breath!

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, tnuag said:

All's well here and on the final stages of packing all those parts. Not long to go now.

Glad to hear that all is well in these times! Thanks for doing this project, you have at least one Canadian who is holding his breath for this set!

Colin L.

• 2 weeks later...

ARGUS DELIVERED

I am pleased to say that the Argus conversion sets are now on their way to Hannants, so my project is complete

One interesting thing is that this year 3D printing became available and it is giving amazing results. So far as the Argus goes, many parts which were planned to be white metal castings are now supplied in four blocks of detail parts. Not only have they finer details, but we also supply many duplicate parts to allow for breakages or loosing them in the carpet!

Probably the most difficult part of the conversion will be reshaping the nacelles and reference to the many photos on the internet is important - much filler will probably be needed, but that is up to the individual.

This has been quite a project, and I hope modelers enjoy the results,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

OMISSION

I forgot to give the positions where the Britannia fuselage has to be cut when I wrote the instructions.

The forward cut is 11.4mm forward of the wing root leading edge.

The rear cut is 120mm aft of the forward cut,

Thus you use a 120mm length of the original Britannia fuselage.

I recently received my Argus conversion kit from Hannants and I have to say it looks very nice indeed. Very good resin moulding, with few if any bubbles. Good job, Neil! Now, I'm just waiting on my Britannia kit!

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

That is one possibility. Another is to produce some new aircraft kits with the high level of detail possible with 3D printing. We are also retooling many items of ground equipment for 3D printing.

Edited by tnuag
  • Like 3

On 02/10/2020 at 16:35, tnuag said:

We are packing the second batch of kits now.

Great news. Thank you.

I have posed this question before, in relation to RCAF Neptunes, but alas there has never been a definitive answer, So, just wondering, what is the current thinking regarding a suitable modelling paint match for Canadian Grey 501-109 which I believe is correct for the Argus?

I'll possibly post the question in the Aircraft, Cold War forum to get a wider audience if necessary.

Cheers. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 3:38 PM, tnuag said:

That is one possibility. Another is to produce some new aircraft kits with the high level of detail possible with 3D printing. We are also retooling many items of ground equipment for 3D printing.

HS-121 Trident 1, 2 and 3 ?

Thank you for the suggestion. All suggestions are welcome.

One beauty of CAD/CAM is that you can do literally anything which takes your fancy. You can also help friends - in the last few months I have done parts for Halifax and Hampden and am currently doing engines for a Do X....... We recently took delivery of a medium size printed with about six times the build volume of an Elegoo Mars and higher resolution, so larger models are planned - exciting times.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2020 at 2:31 PM, tnuag said:

Thank you for the suggestion. All suggestions are welcome.

One beauty of CAD/CAM is that you can do literally anything which takes your fancy. You can also help friends - in the last few months I have done parts for Halifax and Hampden and am currently doing engines for a Do X....... We recently took delivery of a medium size printed with about six times the build volume of an Elegoo Mars and higher resolution, so larger models are planned - exciting times.

The Hampden nacelles are very nice Neil, thanks :)

It's an interesting one Neil, personally speaking (and I realise a lot of this is personal views!), but I would more likely buy a complete kit than have to fork out for a quite expensive donor kit for your excellent and very comprehensive conversion.

With the Valiant B.2 it makes sense as the conversion is of an existing type with fairly limited parts, but the Argus is a much bigger project based on parts of a previous aircraft.

Keep up the great work, without people like yourself we modellers would really struggle to create the more off-beat types, I'm glad to hear that you are taking to 3D printing.

CAD and now 3D printing have changed everything. The big thing is the CAD program, which can be very expensive.

Also I got very tired of the Argus towards the end. That was due to the large number of resin castings (16,000 approximately).

• Like 3