1/48 ESCI Cessna 172P

Been bashing away on this. It's a model of the aircraft I did my Private Pilot Licence test in about ten years ago. At the time it was owned by Aero Dynamic Flight Academy after they bought it from the Scout Association (hence the colour scheme). Decals are all custom designed and printed by me on my inkjet.

51923505365_45038ff0a2_b.jpg51922974158_f01f032a40_b.jpg51922974108_091ec135a0_b.jpg51922974068_596833d484_b.jpg

51922973758_3c901cf586_b.jpg

I did a fair bit of detail work on the interior, too

51922878741_7eace4e68d_b.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Got my instrument rating in the 172 and have always loved that plane.  You have done her proud with this model, including the oil and exhaust stains on the underside of the cowl streaked back - perfect touch!  The interior including the instrument panel is superb.

• Like 1

Thanks. I have two Minicraft Piper Cherokee 140s I'm going to convert into the PA-28R Arrow II used to fly extensively out of Maroochydore. Should be a nice challenge...

Nice build of a classic type. I really must build one sometime. It's a pity there aren't more models of civil aircraft out there.

I have several hundred hours on 172s, like Harold55. I passed my Instrument rating in one and my CPL. Both quite stressful moments!!! 

But the light aircraft I'd like to to see modelled is the one I have most hours in. An Australian aeroplane indeed. The Gippsland Airvan. 

Doubt that will ever happen. 😔

• 1 month later...

Thanks. They're left-overs from my Tamiya Lancaster detail set perched on 0.3 mm wire for the shafts. I also used leftover bits from the set to make the seatbelt buckles.

• 8 months later...

Some more WIP photos:

51923213369_697a54cf02_b.jpg

Brass forward spar and carbon fibre rear to keep the wings straight.

51921905877_be1deefcc7_b.jpg

Wire inserts for main gear due to the added weight.

51923505105_0e82c44f2a_b.jpg

Weight hidden everywhere and even with the solid brass front spar it only just sits nose-heavy.

Back to the Enterprise...

• Like 1

Beautifully built Cessna 172. I have a few hours in those myself, but that's been some years ago. A sweet airplane to fly. I'm very impressed with your instrument panel and cabin work. As mentioned earlier, oil and exhaust stains on the underside are a nice touch. Light planes are often kept in near immaculate condition but there's no avoiding those stains and they're a pain to clean off.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, chaps.

On 7/1/2020 at 3:47 AM, bigbadbadge said:

This is lovely, great work, the interior looks fantastic.

I spent a fair bit of time on the interior thinking it'd be fairly prominent but, as it turns out, there isn't much able to be seen. The instrument panel was built from scratch using the kit part as a template for shape. It's brass sheets, holes punched/cut for the instruments and painted to suit. Airscale and kit decals were used for the instruments, with a drop of Future for the lenses. The throttle, mixture and carburettor heat controls are 0.3 mm wire with leftovers from my 1/48 Lancaster etch set for knobs. Seat buckles and door handles (in and outside) are cut from metal etch frets.

On 6/30/2020 at 10:29 PM, SAT69 said:

As mentioned earlier, oil and exhaust stains on the underside are a nice touch. Light planes are often kept in near immaculate condition but there's no avoiding those stains and they're a pain to clean off.

Yes, I was lucky enough to have a good shot of the underside of the aeroplane showing its stains, so I was keen to reproduce that. Here it is (by David M Sergeant):

51942812871_514e7265c4_b.jpg

Decals designed and printed by me on my inkjet printer. Fuel caps punched from brass and painted red. Custom antenna fit and handles, steps, exhaust pipe etc from brass wire/etch. One of my favourite models in the cabinet at the moment.

• Thanks 1