Sherman Firefly 1c, Welded Hull.

13 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up John,

Well worth the wait for the update. Look forward to seeing some colour going on.

Regards,

Steve

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Well laden Sherman!

Looking forward to seeing it painted.

Great work.

Cheers

Darryl 

Thanks Steve. Thanks Darryl. The beauty of loading it up with loads of stowage, is that you can hide a lot of mistakes.

John.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

All that stowage is bringing a lot of life & character to your build John, I'm really looking forward to seeing the paint on it.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. I'm waiting for the wind to drop as I need to spray the Halfords grey primer outdoors as it stinks to high heaven.

John.

• Like 1

First job was to give it a coat of primer, using Halfords grey primer.

14fe02f6-21b4-4694-bfea-4307a71cd493.JPG

For the base colour, I used Vallejo’s UK Bronze Green set, from the Model Air series. This is a set of six 8 ml. Bottles, consisting of six different shades of green, one grey primer and one semi gloss varnish. I’ve only ever used the greens before and was happy with the result, but for some reason, the airbrush kept clogging this time. Maybe it’s because they are a few years old now, or maybe it’s just me. Anyway, the job’s done. I started off with and overall coat of the first green, which is No. 018 Black Green. This was followed by a misting of No. 250 Bronze Green. No. 252 First light was sprayed onto the centre of the panels and lastly No. 225 Light Green along the edges and also in the centre of the panels. The contrast is a bit stark at the moment, but with some washes, it should all tone down a bit (he said hopefully).

6a011689-540c-4517-b1da-bdfe8b6d508a.JPG

269d9c28-379f-42d5-9333-0da1969c0299.JPG

I know that it looks a bit greyish in the photos, but that's just the lighting.

Now all I need to do is search through my boxes for some suitable decals.

John.

• Like 15

Looking really good John, beats me how you chaps can paint all the extra bits of stowage etc in situ:hmmm:

Quite sure it'll tone down once its had its washes, filters, weathing etc. I tend to find the more contrst and the lighter it is to start the better, the clear coat and final matt always darkens more than I'd imagined.

Looking forward to the next installment. 

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

Quite sure it'll tone down once its had its washes, filters, weathing etc. I tend to find the more contrst and the lighter it is to start the better, the clear coat and final matt always darkens more than I'd imagined.

Many thanks Darryl. You're right. I learned a long time ago not to make the finish too dark as once the gloss coat an washes go on, it gets even darker.

John.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dads203 said:

Looking super John, nice modulation on the paint finish 👍

Thanks Dan. Reasonably happy with the paint finish, but the next one will be back to Tamiya paints.

John.

17 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Looks good!

Thanks Phil.

8 hours ago, bigfoot said:

Looking good John. Nice amount of stowage on that.  I’ve got that Vallejo set but never used it as I wasn’t sure the colours were right for WWII British tanks. Colour looks good on the firefly though.

Thanks BF. Yes, The colours come out OK, it was just that they seemed to be a bit gloopy after all this time. Back to Tamiya.

John.

On 07/10/2019 at 14:57, vaoinas said:

Looking very good! 

I like the grayish look of the olive drab.

Thanks a lot for the comments.

OK, decals are on, and there weren’t many of them. I began by giving the model a coat of gloss varnish. I tried a new (to me) product this time, namely Vallejo in an aerosol can. Jury is still out as it gives a nice glossy finish, but is a little on the thick side and I ended up with a slight orange peel effect.

a41ce3ca-79ef-4cc6-952b-6d6ddb254c32.JPG

The original 1c that I did some years ago, was a tank from the County of London Yeomanry, and the one that I picked out to do this time, was from the same unit, as shown as one of the options in the Tamiya 1/48th scale kit. I had a set of Star Decals which depicts a Vc from that unit, so I was able to use the AoS and Formation signs from that set, although looking at the Tamiya profile and comparing it with photos of other Fireflys, I got the impression that they were transposed, so I swapped them around. If I’m wrong somebody will point it out. Also, in the Tamiya profiles the AoS and Formation signs are on the appliqué armour plates in front of the hoods. I’ve got a load of stowage covering one of them up, so I reverted to the more usual place of either side of the transmission housing.

f1cba876-4fd9-4b0d-b1ae-f68b936230b1.JPG

The yellow squadron symbol on the side of the turret came from the Academy Stuart Honey, and the individual tank number, 4, came from an old Microscale set of US white letters and numbers, as did the tanks serial number. The left hand turret marking was cut down to fit behind the stowage. It’s now sealed in with a second coat of varnish ready for some washes.

f6ed2915-64de-4ffd-bf98-c2ee4ef1f6ee.JPG

Getting near to the finish now. Thanks for looking.

John.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up John 

Great finish on this. All falling together very nicely.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve, and thanks. I got some washes on this afternoon, so maybe I'll b able to go to work on it some more tomorrow.

John.

• Like 1

Looking good John, gloss coat has a real shine to it. I used to use the Humbrol acrylic clear aerosol cans but could never get a shine like that from them.

Sure the matt coat will level the orange peel out.

Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dads203 said:

John, that’s looking tops fella. Can’t wait to see more mate 👍

Looking good John, gloss coat has a real shine to it. I used to use the Humbrol acrylic clear aerosol cans but could never get a shine like that from them.

Sure the matt coat will level the orange peel out.

Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together. 

Thanks both. It's bucketing down outside, so I can't do any work in the garden, so I'll just have to go up to my modelling room:yahoo:

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1