Sherman Firefly 1c, Welded Hull.

8 hours ago, Ripaman said:

You just got to add some casting numbers now you mentioned it

Thanks Richard, Yes, it's on the to do list. I've got some Archer decals so will be doing that when I have some time. Not touched it for a couple of days as I've been charging round fixing up medical appointments for my wife and myself. I should have some "me" time later today.

John.

33 minutes ago, BlackMax12 said:

Never enough time to get the stuff done that needs doing

As is often said on your side of the pond, "ain't that the truth". Many thanks Lloyd. SWMBO will be watching a mindless soap opera tonight, so I'll get some time in my room.

John.

11 hours ago, Dads203 said:

John, just hurry up and give us another update ... we are waiting here matey ;)

withdrawl symptoms and all that :frantic:

Fear not Dan. Thanks to Corrie last night, I was able to finish the rear of the model. Photos taken and will be uploaded later when MS have completed their mega update. (I'm typing this on SWMBO's desktop).

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Two jobs that needed doing before proceeding any further were the drive sprockets and the idlers. When I added the transmission housing, I used the final drive plates from a kit with HVSS and not VVSS, so the stubs needed shortening. I used the sprockets and idlers from my original build. The sprockets fitted straight away, but I had to drill out the idlers to fit over the Tamiya axle stubs.

41516c58-73f7-4710-9e68-38d73e29b7f6.JPG

Back to the upper hull. First job was to drill the hole in the rear hull plate that Tamiya forgot for hand cranking the engine. Rear lights glued in place after adding some wiring. The gun crutch came from a Dragon Firefly kit. Something else that I salvaged from the original build was the mesh on the grouser intakes.

ecc871b4-4489-4352-a320-91fdcf844be1.JPG

ccbd9d4b-61c4-4509-8f34-b52abc9e2c5c.JPG 7b4f1990-29e6-4389-8a9c-2c6abac524f7.JPG

0c071e32-c125-42f6-b007-b6a5e69c3552.JPG

Unlike Firefly Vc’s, 1c’s couldn’t carry a stowage bin on the rear hull plate because of hand cranking the engine, but some did carry one on the top of the hull at the rear. They also had a first aid box on the rear hull plate, over to the left. I had both of these on an etched brass sheet from ET Models, but I prefer to use plastic card, so I took the dimensions from the etched sheet and built my own. The hinges are thin strip (20x10thou) and stretched sprue, and the fastenings are etched brass and pewter foil strip. The first aid box though was once again, salvaged from the old Firefly model.

d5fd9ec9-19d0-4979-b6f3-92b82f839028.JPG

I tried to salvage as many of the pioneer tools from the old build, along with the gun cleaning rods because they had etched straps on them.

7afbfd72-b695-4300-87e3-923f3b242446.JPG

7fbb96ad-1be1-4d87-a3a1-191259b51035.JPG

Final job at this point was to dd a couple of handles to the fire extinguishers (circled in red).

1fea29bd-4a25-4f6f-92cb-0e9fb44b9b06.JPG

As always, thanks for looking and any comments.

John.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Roger Newsome said:

This is seriously good modelling and even more impressive is the level of research.

Many thanks Roger. I like the research, but sometimes I over think it.

John.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

😋, thats my best modelling time too, 7-00 -8-30, smashing  job on the details john

Thanks Glynn. Yes, got quite a bit done last night. Just need to take some photos.

John.

• Like 1

A bit of work done last night. Applique armour added both side and to the front of the hoods.

b1fb23a9-5ba6-4639-81ed-181bc48a86b6.JPG

7be3ce9c-ea08-42b0-8228-9643a0226829.JPG

Weld beads added using Milliput. I also added the two hatch covers. For some weird reason, I couldn’t find the ones from the Tamiya kit so I had to adapt a pair from a Dragon kit. It just meant that the hinges had to be bent downwards a bit, and some plastic removed from inside the Tamiya hatches. Periscope guards glued in place and the grab handle replaced with brass wire.

a2e29593-589d-4354-b27d-1a87e32099e8.JPG

Not much to do now. Just the lights and brush guards and then some stowage.

Thanks for looking.

John.

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, BlackMax12 said:

Geez looks like you found some time. Looking pretty damned impressive. 

What is that angular thing on the right front with all of the weld beads around?

The grafted hatches look good. old Dragon to the rescue, lol.

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd. Many thanks. The angular thing was a lump of steel welded over the hull machine gun position, which was deleted on Fireflys, and the space used to store more ammo.

John.

Home straight now. I glued the headlamp brush guards from the Eduard M4 set using super glue gel. This had the bonus of filling in the holes that Tamiya give for gluing the plastic items in place. I added the sockets for the headlamp blanking plugs to the brush guards from plastic sprue.

Something that I did previously, but forgot to mention was the two front track guards. I used the kit items instead of etched brass as I prefer to use plastic when I can. By scraping the leading edge, the appearance can be improved a lot. I added the fixing strips to the insides against the housing, from thin card.

Something else that I used plastic for instead of etched brass were the attachment strips for the sand shields. I cut strips of 10thou card, 1.5mm wide and then drilled the fixing holes before gluing in place.

The headlamps will be fitted after painting as they already have the lenses glued on.

dc4998e5-6f8b-47da-92fc-0e87b8152a19.JPG

64ed1894-e4e8-4446-a5e1-e6c629479870.JPG

I had salvaged just about all of the stowage from the old build, so there was no reason not to use it on this one. It was a mixture of Accurate Armour, some items from the Tamiya kit and whatever I had to hand.

d6d5fc55-2cb4-4ace-92eb-6aab49e460c7.JPG

2bb78e69-75a5-4f65-bf85-cd8a1ecc480e.JPG

ae1eaa63-1ee2-4a27-a67c-b0ec1058cb2f.JPG

1df6899a-96f9-4fd7-9fff-a3f77de23053.JPG

Finally, and these are not fixed in place as they need to be removed for painting, the tracks. A lot of 1c’s were fitted with T48 rubber chevron tracks, and I found a set from a Dragon kit of T48’s with duckbills, from a M4(105mm) kit, but unfortunately, they appeared to be too long, so I reverted to the tracks in the Tamiya M4 kit. They are still pretty good.

b4753651-485c-4214-bca7-08c125824012.JPG

Once this was all in place, it was time to visit the paint shop. I’ll be back when I’ve something to show.

Progress on this may slow down considerably, as the T54/55 GB starts next week and I have a Tiran 4 to build.

Thanks for looking.

John.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Dads203 said:

That's looking sweet John, with a splash of paint it will really come alive mate :thumbsup:

Thanks Dan. Hopefully, I can start painting tomorrow. I want to get as much done before next weekend when the GB starts.

John.