Matchbox/Revell 1/32 Spitfire Mk 22/24

Wow! Just came across this thread, and it's a masterclass in improving and correcting an old kit. OK...maybe a masterclass in stubbornness too. 🙂 I love your solution for the horizontal stabilizers. I just filled your profile with likes.

You've combined using aftermarket improvements (that are sometimes not such a good fit either) and good old-fashioned modelling techniques. What you've done is brilliant, and should also help others wanting to build the kit to a better standard. I'm one of them, I have the Matchbox kit and plan to convert it to a Seafire 47. This will be a great help in correcting a lot of faults in the kit. I bought the Iconicair nose correction, which is hollow, and hopefully easier to work with. I also have the Freightdog Seafire 47 conversion, the Master cannon barrels, Mastercaster interior set and a box full of 1/32 Spitfire spare bits. 

I'll definitely be following this, it'll be a guide for my attempt...after I finish the 1/24 Mustang. I'll let you do all the hard work first. 😉

Richard

• Like 2

Good to see the wings on Robin and as John said really starting to look the part now.   Good luck with the Milliputtery ahead too.  As Richard said I also have one to convert to a Seafire 47, but have the AA productions conversion,  so I can wait for both of you to finish yours !!!

Great work Robin

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for the motivation guys. If I was to summarize my life in one sentence it would be. “Robin finds brick walls and bashes his head against them until they fall over, even if he could walk around the wall.” I have stacks of near perfect kits I could build instead, but I keep falling for these. It won’t be perfect, but it will be as perfect as I can get it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to use the kit carb intake, but the Grey Matter one has a better shape. It’s not hollow though. The Mk22 had an intake shutter, normally closed on the ground to pass the air through a filter, so, I get to hollow it out and block it again... -don’t worry about the state of the fuselage skin, it will get better. Much sanding to go!

D268B071-619B-4E75-83E4-FF57B08EBEEE

• Like 3

Hard to tell how I am doing, I know there are some small flaws, but I am just working on shape at the moment. So when in doubt, throw some primer at it. Not too bad, but the top of the leading edge needs to be thickened. Couldn’t get a photo to show it. The Spitfire wing maintains its profile until it gets to the fuselage, then gets covered by a fairing. The graceful lines are what we love about the aircraft, but straight lines are few and far between!

EC496502-B244-428F-9D02-6140F59A8235

B85F8703-9337-4222-AF78-573E8B262365

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

This arrived today, very well packaged. Another new item. Once I am done I should add up what this little project has cost...... In any case, support the small cottage industries if you can. Not ready for them yet, but getting there, I am done the major sanding and filling, scribing and mounting the stabs next.

FB421224-0811-493E-B61F-1D2AE39FE2EA

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hollowed out the carb intake. The carb had a door that was closed on the ground which forced the air up and through a filter in the fairing, so if you look in, all you see is a slightly bent piece of aluminum. It only took as long as New York City Serenade to hollow it out with my Dremel tool and some careful carving. Door was added using some card. I hollowed out some of the fuselage because from certain angles you could see the air had nowhere to go. I Painted it black, the door aluminum and the intake trunk Medium Sea Grey before installing the intake. 

EA265C42-90A7-486A-BAF9-0B51B5911C26

78BE91D6-3D16-453D-AAEC-AFD5357528A8 420C0FA6-D2C6-497E-8ED3-233EA6E0D299

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Things have been happening on this beast, most of which involves filler, sanding and priming. I did manage to fit the carb intake and horizontal stabs. Getting the elevators to fit is an ongoing trial. The leading edge of the fin seems a little thin, I might bulk it up a bit. Dark spots are my favourite filler for building up leading edges-gap filling superglue.

A2614061-5AC7-48B0-90F7-AFB8D15889D4

528AC6E0-280A-4E5B-8F4F-108969F9856B

• Like 10

• 6 months later...

Scribing, scribing. After endless rounds of filler and priming I am scribing. These photo’s show my method. I use dividers to measure from a known point on my blown up 1/32 drawings. I then twist the one end to give a mark. Dymo tape is used to give me a guide. I use a dental tool. When the tape loses it stick, I use Tamiya tape to extend it’s usefulness. Some parts I am scribing though plastic, filler, primer or superglue, all of which take to scribing differently-what fun!

Once I have scribed the whole thing, I will prime-again. Once I am happy with that, I can rivet it. I had previously riveted parts of it, but most of them have disappeared….. The theory is the panel lines and rivets will only be noticed when you really look for them as most of the real one is flush riveted. 

AE641720-614D-4F0D-B5BE-7DEC0E4199DC

742B04EB-0CF6-4DCE-AFD9-AAB31D0FFFE5

650B7812-D025-4E17-92C5-DE904C475A9E

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Cannons! Radiators! More putty! The cannons I thought would be easy-nope. Fairing them in neatly is a chore, same for the radiators. A sane modeller would have just glued them onto the wings, I just had to duplicate the ramps. I also discovered my wing fairings were too shallow at the leading edge root, leading to a gull wing effect, more putty…….

The black radiator is Matchboxes idea of the sizes the radiators. I guess they forgot their tape measure that day!

10FAB637-3D8C-4450-994D-16FBC3C8033C

50EC1CE1-F961-4B20-91E4-0667ADD5A569

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Collin said:

This kit defeated me twice.  It's a great subject in 1/32.  Glad to see you wrestling this to ground.

Cheers

Collin

If anyone is crazy enough to follow me, don’t. Just build it out of the box and get on with the rest of your life.😁

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

If anyone is crazy enough to follow me, don’t. Just build it out of the box and get on with the rest of your life.😁

Crikey  I have this in the stash.🤪

Great job on the radiators and fairing in those cannons.  Soon be painting time :whistle:

Looks wonderful 

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would take a break from clouds of sanding dust on the wing roots and do something simple, the propeller. Guided by fasterry’s info I quickly came to two conclusions. First, I have no propeller decals. Sending some cash to Hannants solved that. Secondly, neither Grey Matter or Matchbox have the blades quite right, Matchbox is better at the root, so I decided to use them. I was going to ignore the slightly small diameter, but as I fixed the tips, the error headed for 4mm. So I have added some card to the roots, I suspect I will need a second layer before I am done as the tips still aren’t quite right. Note how closely I have followed the airfoil shape.😁 They Grey Matter spinner looks much better, the Matchbox one appears a little pudgy.

E06B1446-57F8-4195-8B54-452A4750F3DD

22288F23-A153-462C-8C41-9E50E1986B9C

Edited by Robin-42
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

Well, at least one part is finished, like everything else, it took more work than I thought. Shape of the blades is not 100% accurate, but at least it is a scale 11’ diameter. The scheme I am doing suggested Roundel Blue for the spinner, so that is what it is.

3D3BFCAE-F0D7-447D-9AE7-20E72DBF0ABD

• Like 8