Talbot Lago Record 1950, 1:24 scale, by Heller

• 2 weeks later...

Evening Chaps

Came back home yesterday after several days in Montreal for celebration of 30th birthday of my younger son.
Have had bad health issues there, with severe dental pain and a trigeminal neuralgia.

So, haven't be able to return to my medical office and have to stay relax at home, with dental and surgical cares !

Jet lag finished, so, just as a way to, pass the time and forget my jaws, have begun to spray the second body of this Talbot.

The spray booth is a real pleasure, and spraying the TS10 decanted in a little jar with my Tamiya airbrush has been very easy.

I've sprayed the two first very light coats (as a fog) on the trunk lid and the body, and the final coats on the inside of the bonnets .

24 hours drying before slightly wet sanding to remove the light imperfections and some dust on the bodying trunk lid, and then we'll be ready for 2 or 3 wet coats.

49456009091_cd907b390b_z.jpg   49456009151_bb52d8fc61_z.jpg

49456238257_afe234be84_c.jpg

49456238277_ba0b676db5_c.jpg

49455535678_22096c061c_c.jpg

49455535748_3df4a79d9a_c.jpg

Stay tuned if you like :)

• Like 6

Evening Gentlemen :)

The painting job is now achieved on this second body, and, even if I feel better with my airbrush to apply light or wet coats, this work has been VERY painful .

Indeed, after having painted the trunk lid and let it dry completely, I've noticed, while wet sanding it with 6000 mesh, wearing magnifying glasses, that cracks had appeared on the surface, and that they were very deep !

I haven't understood neither how nor why this happened, but it has been necessary to sand all the paint, and redo the job, starting from zero, with primer etc... TWICE !

Now the second wet coat has been sprayed and the result is rather good.

Surprisingly, 2 very very slight cracks reappeared, and I've neither the time nor the desire to redo it a fourth time ! What's more, this curious phenomenon could appear once more !

On the photos below, you could notice that these cracks are not visible... it's only under the reflection of a powerful light, and under some view angles, that you could see them.

49477978121_0338f8ee02_z.jpg   49478197787_f0c23ce238_z.jpg

It remains a very slight orange peel, which is strongly amplified by the lens of my iPhone. Nothing that can resist to a good polishing

The same thing for the body, particularly on the left side (fortunately, no cracks with that part, but several dust particles)

49477978171_49dfd01b64_c.jpg   49477495203_2b6f8d1d02_c.jpg

49478197942_1ed8ef5c99_c.jpg   49478197937_b084dbc6f1_c.jpg

49477978126_ec77001b6e_c.jpg   49477495173_f31ecac167_c.jpg

I'm going to let dry thoroughly all that stuff during at less 24 hours before sanding and polishing.

After that, I'll put the 2 decals, and at last......

In fact, I'm wondering wether I'm going to clear coat, or not ?

Many reasons:

1/ I've decanted my Mr Hobby Super Clear Can in a Tamiya cup. It's an excellent clear and it dries very quickly and, since my skills went up , using the airbrush, it would be easier to apply on this way

2/ The transparent perimeter of the decals is always too visible on a polished paint, if not clear coated

3/ the paint would be protected from time injuries, if clear coated

That said, I haven't taken any decision ! I need to sleep on it :)

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, CrazyCrank said:

That said, I haven't taken any decision ! I need to sleep on it :)

Thierry- regarding the recurring surface cracks-all I can think of is the kit's plastic is being attacked by the primers and top coats. Maybe it's the kit's age but I think the problem is the plastic not the paints or your preparation.

As a last-ditch try, I would take it down to bare plastic again - then airbrush several even light coats of Future(Pledge Floor Care now) on the bare plastic as a barrier.

Then- your usual prime/prep/paint methods.

Best luck if you try.

C

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Codger said:

Thierry- regarding the recurring surface cracks-all I can think of is the kit's plastic is being attacked by the primers and top coats. Maybe it's the kit's age but I think the problem is the plastic not the paints or your preparation.

As a last-ditch try, I would take it down to bare plastic again - then airbrush several even light coats of Future(Pledge Floor Care now) on the bare plastic as a barrier.

Then- your usual prime/prep/paint methods.

Best luck if you try.

C

Thanks Chase, but I will not try, I've sent too many time on the body, and I would like to finish this model as soon as possible now.. other funny or great projets to come !

Furthermore, the cracks appeared on the trunk lid, which is a part of the body that I cut off from, and so the same old plastic as the body. However, the body hasn't any crack !

Edited by CrazyCrank

Just now, CrazyCrank said:

Thanks Chase, but I will not try, I've sent too many time on the body, and I would like to finish this model as soon as possible now.. other funny or great projets to come !

Good reasons all. I hope the Bugatti is at the head of your list.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, I've partially redone the painting job for the trunk lid, because after polishing, the small cracks are more visible 🤨

And, after 5 or 6 light cross-lapped coats and 2 wet coats, and then sanding with Alclad Mesh 3600 - 4000 - 6000 - 8000 -10000 and 12000, and at last polishing with Tamiya compounds , I've got a good result

hereunder some pictures to show you what we can get, even before having sprayed the clear coats:

49543305411_c62a98f5df_c.jpg   49543305281_e3d66a54c2_c.jpg

49543305431_d800390bd3_c.jpg

And as an added bonus, you can see my face :)

Now, I'm going to to the same job on the body shell, then, I'll put the decals, and finally, probably somme layers of clear coat

Stay tuned if you like :)

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, Spiny said:

I'm not sure you need a clear coat on that - the shine on that is better than my finished paints.

I'll see if it needs it or not after I've put on the decals :)

Evening Gentlemen :)

Well, the body shell has been wet sanded with Alclad mesh 4000-6000-8000-10000-12000 grit, and then polished with Tamiya compound...coarse, fine and finish !

The result is far away better than what I hoped to get.... BUT, obviously , what had to happen finally happened : a crack appeared again on the windshield frame, while I was sanding the body.

Normally, I could be able to fix that issue without any visible damage.

49558770066_e2d9f28442_c.jpg   49559007197_6acaf5f636_c.jpg

49558770031_a665252bba_c.jpg   49558274068_2b237fcbbb_c.jpg

49558769911_82c9622e13_c.jpg

Now, I'll go putting decals on the trunk lid and grille surround .

Then, I'll see if I've to apply clear coat or not....obviously, if I do that, I'll have to sand and polish the varnish, and the windshield cracks could reappear !

What a dilemma 🙄

Stay tuned if you like and thanks for watching :)

• Like 4

The finish is looking fantastic Thierry! The crack in the windshield is of course very unfortunate, but I'm sure we'll be able to see through it and still like the model very much. Please don't consider stripping down the body again to fix the crack 🙂

• Like 2