Talbot Lago Record 1950, 1:24 scale, by Heller

Evening, Gentlemen :)

Having heard siren songs, I've begun to clean up the wrecked body, and to fix the cracks.

Cleaning it's easy, repairing cracks not too difficult, but the issue is that the repairs are very fragile !

As soon as I handle a bit too hardly the body, the windshield framing cracks again, in the way I predicted, pity ☹️

So, I'll continue to try to work on it, to see if I can get an acceptable stuff after priming, painting, sanding and polishing, but without having too much illusions...

49215338137_f639f57ac5_c.jpg

49215106936_f9ffeb1817_c.jpg   49214625688_7d7374d199_c.jpg

And, since I don't now where this venture will lead me, I've polished the painted body with Tamiya compounds.

Let's see the result by yourselves:

49215687462_9d8de69b61_c.jpg   49214972468_427c8a3fcb_c.jpg

49215686787_a78db4b3fe_c.jpg   49214972048_383e78eb9a_c.jpg

Stay tuned for new steps 😎

• Like 5

Thierry - a groove cut into the windscreen frame behind the break and some wire glued into it should reinforce it enough to repair and paint. But I have to ask - how many bodies do you want? 🙂

Cheers Jo

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

Thierry - a groove cut into the windscreen frame behind the break and some wire glued into it should reinforce it enough to repair and paint. But I have to ask - how many bodies do you want? 🙂

Cheers Jo

I'd thought to intend that solution, but, behind the frame, there is already a groove, in which the windscreen will be stuck later on, and the plastic here is very thin and very brittle.

It remains very few place and material to try to cut a groove, even if it is very thin and shallow, so I prefer abstain !

On the pictures below you can see what I mean. I've put some liquid white primer where the cracks are situated, and you can see them, magnifying the photos.

At the moment the repairs seem beefy, but I'll have to be extremely cautious while sanding or polishing

49217340263_c28cd7ac87_c.jpg   49217821826_fab4559d1d_c.jpg

Thanks for any critics and advices :)

PS: How many bodies ?...two of course, one for the busy days, and another for special occasions 😜

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 2

Morning, Gentlemen :)

A little progress today on the bonnets.

The hinges have been stuck in place, not without some difficulties.

Finally, the solution to do it has been:

- first: stick the hinges on the bonnets with Micro liquid tape. That allowed to reposition the hinges on the bonnets, if necessary , before the final glueing .

- Then, I've cut out of a thick styrene sheet, 2 strips, which I've glued with CA gel from the inside of the bonnets, astride on each half-bonnet and half-hinge.

49221857632_cd3f7286a5_c.jpg

Of course, at this stage of the building, it remains a lot of work to do on the inside, particularly to thin, if possible, the strips, and then paint the inside of bonnets

The final result for the outside of the bonnets is showed on the pictures below.

As I think that some of you will have a careful, not to say inquisitive look at this, I have to say that I'm not totally satisfied because it remains a defect, impossible to fix without destroying all the assembly and the paint !

Indeed, if you look at the front of the bonnets, you'll see that the right half-bonnet isn't there so closed to the hinge, that the left half-bonnet 😯

Hopefully, I can live with it 🙄 (My name isn't Vatel, and I've not planed, at the moment, to commit a suicide 😎 )

49221634261_cf34f47c7c_c.jpg   49221857547_3bf7567554_c.jpg

Of course, the hinges work, and the bonnets will be opening....If I find a way to attach correctly this set on the main body....and that's not a given !

49221857557_612d223918_c.jpg

Stay tuned if you like and thanks for watching :)

• Like 4

Afternoon guys :)

Dry fit of the bonnets on the body after a little surgery...they seem to be rather flush with it.

A bit of work remains for the inside, and I'm thinking about a retaining system when half-bonnet is open....

49222721211_681464539d_c.jpg

49222945922_d426c4313d_c.jpg   49222731421_f7ece53147_c.jpg

The same preparatory surgery has been made on my "wrecked" body, which is on the bench for sanding and preparing the priming. At the moment, nothing broken :)

Thanks for watching :)

• Like 6

AndThis is a victory Thierry. Bravo !

It's too early to claim victory...I still have a long way to go ...

1/ for attaching the bonnets:

- Cutting out the front end of the part which is supposed to be the hinges; at this end is the decorative emblem, that doesn't exist on the real car in the Museum

- In this front end has to  be attached the piano wire situated at the front of the hinges , and I think I'll thread a tiny hole in it, through which the wire will go.

The purpose is that when opening a half-bonnet, the other half wouldn't separate from the body

2/ to enhance and paint the inside of the bonnets, without wasting or spoiling the outside

3/ to make, if possible, a retaining system for each Half-bonnet, in order to avoid that, once a half-bonnet is opened, the other half-bonnet would  lift up (what occurs actually !)

And each of these steps is a challenge :)

• Like 1

Good evening, Gentlemen :)

Second (wrecked) body repaired and first layer of Alclad Grey Primer and Filler sprayed. At the moment, no damage on this brittle plastic :)

The hinges for opening trunk lid has been re-made and glued in place.

Remains to do the retaining system for the lid.

Have had a dry fit on the chassis, and I've to say that, if the bonnets wouldn't have been finished in French Blue, I would frankly be hesitating between a blue body and a grey body.

That reminds me of the color of Peter Falk's Peugeot 403 in the television series "Colombo" 😉, which I was an unconditional fan.

49234733838_9f86df4a68_c.jpg

49235430572_3ec72df884_c.jpg   49235203441_c7ea4e07e1_c.jpg

49235203371_a6f35c4a11_c.jpg   49235203426_d238d82603_c.jpg

Now, 3000 grit sanding stage of the primer, then second layer of primer, the 3000-4000-600 sanding before French blue spraying.

I've bought another can of Tamiya TS10, but, I've planed not to use it as is to paint this body.

I'm going to decant the paint and to airbrush it, in order to save paint and have a better control of the painting job.

Stay tuned if you like :)

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

.... THAT...... is an impressive recovery 

You're spoilt for choice now 🤔

Precisely @rob Lyttle.

But, each following step on this body could result in a disaster, so don't sell the bear's skin before having caught it 🙄

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

That reminds me of the color of Peter Falk's Peugeot 403 in the television series "Colombo" 😉, which I was an unconditional fan.

Who didn't like Columbo … 

"Just one more question?"

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1

That is a very impressive recovery, fingers crossed the remaining steps go well.:like:

I do get where you're coming from with the idea of a primer coloured car - I keep wondering how it would look if I did one in clear coated grey primer so it's good to here I'm not the only one with such odd thoughts :)

• Like 1

Evening, Chaps :)

Second body primed and sanded, first layer, second to come, and retaining system of the opened trunk lid to install.

Then painting job with Tamiya lacquer TS10 decanted and sprayed with the airbrush, and then perhaps clear coating, perhaps not, but a lot of elbow grease to polish this body.

Meanwhile, some pictures of the actual state of my build:

49244527757_6f7c52218b_c.jpg

49244311696_997117bcb7_c.jpg

Still a lot of time and work to make it acceptable, particularly the inside of the bonnets 🤔

• Like 6

At the moment, having my grand-daughter Emma at home for one or two weeks, It's impossible to airbrush anything, due to the toxicity of paints and their vapors, so my build will stay in standby for some days.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking of the manner to improve the wheels :)

Have seen some Youtube videos showing how to make metal-tension spoked wheels, particularly on the Bentley 4.5 Blower 1:24, and some tutorials for ancient cars.

Nothing directly transferrable for my Lago Record, but very interesting and stimulating.

I hope you'll enjoy the following video, which shows the incredible skills of a great modeler, David Damek:

I wish you all a merry Christmas :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Evening, Gentlemen :)

Not a great progress today, but, my grand-daughter having leaved my house, it has allowed me to use my airbrush and paints.

So, I've put the second layer of grey primer on the body and trunk lid, sanded them 3000 grit, and re-install the retaining system for the lid when trunk's opened :)

49335146748_0227158e48_z.jpg

49335827287_2ae090cb54_z.jpg

49335827212_44265721ba_z.jpg

Then, after having masked the outer side of the bonnets and sanded their inner side, I've put on them two coats of grey primer.

49335612501_c1c2918dbb_z.jpg   49335146778_e09f9d5df5_z.jpg

Bonnets, trunk and body  are now ready to receive their 3-4 coats of French Blue.

I've decanted my spray can TS10  in a Tamiya mixing bottle, and it's ready to spray with my airbrush.

I do hope to control more precisely the painting job with it.

However, I'm waiting for the delivery of a paint booth that I've ordered yesterday on Amazon.fr, to do this job.

• Like 3

Evening Chaps

No progress on my build today due to a lot of administrative tasks I'd to achieve, and a huge reorganization of my workspace...

Indeed, as the days passed, it became a merry shambles  and I couldn't find a black cat in a coal cellar :)

So, as Santa Claus brought me from Poland a lot of boxes full of wooden stuffs, I've spent a lot of time to assemble a new organizer, signed by HobbyZone.

My bench isn't very large, 120 cm, so I've had to moderate my ambitions, but I've reached my goal.

And, as these HobbyZone elements  are modular, there's room to extend the storage place in the future.

I'm pretty happy and proud to show you some pictures of the result:

49352323431_d26a3fc144_c.jpg   49352323391_c76552c59b_c.jpg

49352323351_0f391764a2_c.jpg   49352323411_2f54c5bb39_c.jpg

49352529652_722da5648d_c.jpg   49352323391_c76552c59b_c.jpg

The body, trunk lid and bonnets are ready to be painted French Blue, as soon as I've assembled my painting booth:

49352529737_0cdf34ea48_c.jpg

Stay tuned if you like, and thanks for watching :)

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 7