2nd Platoon, June 6th 1944

Lt Dick Winters undertook a reconnaissance at about 0830, after which he collected a team of 12 men from his own and other companies. Beyond knowledge of the general location of the gun emplacements south of Le Grand Chemin and without information of the other side of the hedgerow, Winters' team attacked Brécourt Manor, located three miles southwest of Utah Beach and north of the village of Sainte-Marie-du-Mont. There he discovered No. 6 Battery of the 90th Artillery Regiment, consisting of four 105mm howitzers connected by trenches and defended by a company of soldiers.

Pictures of the tree line in the grounds today

image.jpg

image.jpg

Map of the Gun position.

image.jpg

Unfortunately my only reference was the Band of Brothers series, as the chap that owns the manor doesn't let visitors into the field.

image.png

image.png

My build to capture the break in and the first Gun.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 17

12 hours ago, Johnny Tip said:

Wow, very fine gun emplacement. Do you have some more/closer pics of the Easy men? 

Thanks Johnny,

here are some close ups, I used figures out of both Dragon kits 6010 and 6148. The figures were painted in Vallejo 103 Germ.c. Beige, with the webbing done in Khaki and the 101st patches were decals off the net.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Interesting little scene that you've produced there Ozzy, and well executed.

John.

Thanks John, something I’ve been wanting to build for a while. Been saving it for the D-Day build.

3 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

Nice!  Lovely detail, from the corrugated iron trench sides right down to the Screaming Eagle patches.

Which one is Lieutenant Winters?!

Thanks Sanfrandragon, he’s the chap standing up calling the chap crawling into the trench.

• Like 1

Wow Clive,

You've completed more figures and dios in the past couple of months than I have in total in 5 years!

And I am noticing a theme here..... BoB. The best series ever to have been on TV. I can't remember the name of the place, but I'm still waiting for your depiction of the panzer hiding around the corner of a manor, where the British Sherman Commander (or was it a Cromwell) said 'If I can't see him, I can't bloody shoot him can I?'

But back to this dio. It's brilliant. I love it.  I can picture the scene in BoB right now. Of course, it'only gives the merest hint of the real thing.  Those were some very brave men.

A couple of questions ... the yellow flowers in the grass and the bushes. What are they made from? The bushes look suspiciously like they are made from fishing line.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Badder said:

... BoB. The best series ever to have been on TV. I can't remember the name of the place, but I'm still waiting for your depiction of the panzer hiding around the corner of a manor, where the British Sherman Commander (or was it a Cromwell) said 'If I can't see him, I can't bloody shoot him can I?'

Ooh yes, would take up some room, but otherwise should be possible as master box has those Easy tank riders (only mislabeled "France" as I think it was Veghel)... 

I'd also like to know about the bushes! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Badder said:

Wow Clive,

You've completed more figures and dios in the past couple of months than I have in total in 5 years!

And I am noticing a theme here..... BoB. The best series ever to have been on TV. I can't remember the name of the place, but I'm still waiting for your depiction of the panzer hiding around the corner of a manor, where the British Sherman Commander (or was it a Cromwell) said 'If I can't see him, I can't bloody shoot him can I?'

But back to this dio. It's brilliant. I love it.  I can picture the scene in BoB right now. Of course, it'only gives the merest hint of the real thing.  Those were some very brave men.

A couple of questions ... the yellow flowers in the grass and the bushes. What are they made from? The bushes look suspiciously like they are made from fishing line.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder,

That's my yearly limit otherwise I would run out of shelf space, yes I must get back to my other BoB scene it's still packed in the box from when we moved. I will probably get it out November time once I've finished the miniart tram, I used a Ammo Mig grass Matt, Summer meadow. The flecks of white and yellow came already on, I can take no credit for the trees and bush as I got them off a chap called Anthony Reeves who runs a company Called Treemendus. He does all the various bits,  I think it's definitely I will have a go at in the future.

8 hours ago, Johnny Tip said:

Ooh yes, would take up some room, but otherwise should be possible as master box has those Easy tank riders (only mislabeled "France" as I think it was Veghel)... 

I'd also like to know about the bushes! 

Thanks Johnny,

i have put the link to the WiP of said Dio, as mentioned in the thread it would be a modular build.

Hi Ozzy. As I said in your build thread - I think this is utterly superb. One of your best scenes so far!! Your attention to the details means you have really captured the atmosphere of the moment. Great modelling!! I like the extra photos too. Very well done. :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ozzy. As I said in your build thread - I think this is utterly superb. One of your best scenes so far!! Your attention to the details means you have really captured the atmosphere of the moment. Great modelling!! I like the extra photos too. Very well done. :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

I'm really pleased with the way it's turned out, the figure kits I got really worked well with the scene I wanted to create. Not sure what I'm going to do next? Got a Normandy Firefly in a sunken road as an idea.

4 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Hope you don't mind me putting this on Ozzy but along with Badders suggestion this could be a great little dio...

Definitely Vince, I've not seen many red telephone boxes on Britmodeller.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Definitely Vince, I've not seen many red telephone boxes on Britmodeller.

😁

There's so many great scenes in films that would make great dioramas. I think one of the best is a scene from The Battle of Britain where a very young Ian McShane leaves a house via a near fully-glazed door with a push-button doorbell, and beside it an outside electric light and nearby plastic guttering.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1