RCAF 403rd Tomahawk Mk IIa

Beazer

48835607076_a5d66c0b8b_b.jpg

Was able to sneak in some work to finish up the hawk.  I’ll be making exhaust stains next and then decalling.  I was going to try a gloss coat but may test the new stuff out first before committing.

• Like 4

48845482021_822497438e_b.jpg

48845115333_6d4c0d1f2d_b.jpg

48845482016_3952100a0b_b.jpg

Not exactly the most pleased with myself over my exhaust staining.  The Tamiya smoke and buff I have coupled with Vallejo's model air colours did not want to work with me this time.  I wanted to have a more transparent grey but it was just not in the cards I guess.  I’ll try another pass once the stencils are all on.

The Iliad decals surprisingly were cracking on the curves so I had to be very careful with my microsol.   Tomorrow I’ll finish the stencils and then start weathering her some more.  May end up just spraying the wing walk panels.

Oh yeah the British pitot tube flung off somewhere unto yonder.  I have the kit one so hopefully it works with the brass I have.

Almost. Done.

• Like 2

Well, looks like when I get home from work I’ll be doing those decals and the props then once it’s all dry I’ll flat coat it and that should be it for her. 

2 hours ago, Doccur said:

That looks gorgeous @Beazer! Excellent modelling! With regards the roundels we all have a brain fart sometimes 😂🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Cheers,

Ash

Tell me! More often as I get more old.

Chris

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Greg Law said:

You are doing real well with this. Does it have glass over the recesses behind the canopy or are waiting to do the flat coat?

Yes.

I know I will be touching up around the rails and cockpit, so the sliding canopy and rear glass will be one of the last items to put on.

I ordered another pitot tube as a replacement for the one I lost.  The air fix version didn’t cut it for me.  That should arrive here in a week and that will be the last thing to put on.

• Like 2

48883602133_636b23560b_b.jpg

48884316417_5504434f2a_b.jpg

I’ve had this happen before.  Everything fully cured but those bloody spider cracks.

only on the decals.  

Usually I spray another flat coat the next day and it clears up completely.  I’m flabbergasted what’s happening.

Am I maybe spraying too much?  I’m using rattlecan Tamiya clear flat.  

• Sad 4

The Tamiya rattle can flat clear coat is known to do this. I avoided Tamiya clear coats for along time until my LHS guy told me it was only the rattle can that caused this problem with decals. Mind you I did have a problem spraying there flat coat on my Me 262's. It went milky white. However that could be atmosphere related. 

Sorry for the bad news.

• Thanks 1

Well that's just terrible to hear.  That's my go to for flat/clear coats.

It may have been a temperature difference as were getting colder up here and I go into the garage to spray my rattlecans.  

Either way my next model I was going to test Microscales Micro Flat and now I'm really crossing my figures that it will give me a similar finish.

The cracks cleared up a little bit (enough for me to warrant not stripping the top and putting on new roundels).  Just waiting on the pitot tube and I'll post final photos here.

Beazer, do you warm up the spray cans before you use them? I read something years ago about sitting the cans in some warm water before you use them. I've only tried it on some Tamiya Grey Primer on a 1/72 kit. It did go on nicely.

Do Not use real hot water as it may cause the can to over pressure!

Chris

• Like 1

I agree with Chris... Having used Rattlecans for a few years before i got my new airbrushes. i found that setting the can in bath temperature water for about 5-10 minutes helped. I also learned to never spray in any air temperature below 60* as it caused issues while the paint was flying. It also will cause issue’s if the plastic is cold. In the end i found that i would wait till weather conditions were good to paint. Above 60*, low humidity, and warmed paint. I hope that helps ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Don’t know if this helps. 

I always warm warm up my rattle cans before spraying. I’ve had a similar problem with my decals wrinkling. I find this only happens if I’ve applied setting solution and it hasn’t dried off completely! Also, I did check on the can last week and it explicitly says on one of the varnishes to ‘Do not apply over decals’. 

Cheers 

Ash

Sorry to hear that,
It is important to put a clear coat of gloss paint, it helps to protect the surface much better. From your picture I can see that probably pain under the decals has reacted, not the decal.  

48940136526_bcc28aa2af_b.jpg

48940322637_717364ca3d_b.jpg

48940136596_31ce661d91_b.jpg

48940322672_6b256c6104_b.jpg

48940136601_9999867c4b_b.jpg

48940136586_e020700c34_b.jpg

48940322662_5dcc7d56ae_b.jpg

48940136726_eeea666c83_b.jpg

48940136521_1b6956bae2_b.jpg

I’m calling this finished.  Had a few hiccups but that happens.

Considering working on the backdrop so that it looks like an airfield at least.

What do you guys think?

• Like 8