RCAF 403rd Tomahawk Mk IIa

Beazer

48609259486_9e1f7fba15_b.jpg

48609407632_98f85fbc1e_b.jpg

48609259481_8853974567_b.jpg

My rendition of the P-40 will be the Airfix Tomahawk Kit done up in a Canadian scheme.

Got a bunch of goodies for it and decided the cockpit with decals will be ok.  No need for PE this go around.

The barrels are for a plan I have as a finishing touch.

• Like 3

48608899268_5c6d96c744_b.jpg

48609259466_9d2d67b0af_b.jpg

48609407477_fd769a1995_b.jpg

So before I really made a plan I had thought the interior would be interior green but I did a fair bit of reading to find that Curtiss made their own interior colour on earlier p-40’s such as this.  So I made my own colour as you can see in the comparison photos above.

Now, I’m in another dilemma after doing all that work.  This is a Canadian bird.  

With even more reading it’s said on British versions the interior was similar to their Own pale green interior colour.  Now I’m just trying to justify how a p-40 was sent to Canada without the cockpit being repainted to uk standards.  

Id like it to be correct but it’s either Curtiss green interior or the pale green raf interior.  I’m really torn.

Also the seat on the raf version was supposedly a darker green kind of like bronce green...

No idea what to do.

• Like 1

Good start Beazer,when I did a version of this kit and were looking for references I seem to recall the company making the seats made them

a darker shade of green than what we know as interior green.Personally I'd go for modellers choice!

• Like 1

When i came back to modeling one of my first builds was this RCAF P-40, though i used the Monogram kit in 1/48. m9rdggt.jpg

I only had rattle-cans at the time so the colors aren't a great match. 02H0Mur.jpg

And looking at it now i realize i forgot the fin flashes completely ? :rage:

Dennis

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Good start Beazer,when I did a version of this kit and were looking for references I seem to recall the company making the seats made them

a darker shade of green than what we know as interior green.Personally I'd go for modellers choice!

I’m tempted to get another kit and do a side by side and see which is better 😉

• Like 1

...and so I ordered another.  

I realized I had used the wrong seat (should be a square back) and wanted a replacement prop.

So when the replacement comes in I’m going to paint it up differently and make everything correct.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Beazer said:

Now, I’m in another dilemma after doing all that work.  This is a Canadian bird.  

With even more reading it’s said on British versions the interior was similar to their Own pale green interior colour.  Now I’m just trying to justify how a p-40 was sent to Canada without the cockpit being repainted to uk standards.  

Id like it to be correct but it’s either Curtiss green interior or the pale green raf interior.  I’m really torn.

Fighter from RCAF make my hard beats faster.   

Hi, RCAF get this fighters form RAF. THE British Purchasing Commission requested only one change to the fighters they bought, replacing main guns for 7.7 Browning. Everything ales was the same as in US fighters, that means the interior color was US standard.   Only French Purchasing Commission has requested different instruments, guns. The did paint their planes in France just after  reassembly. 

• Thanks 1

On 25/08/2019 at 03:39, Franz75 said:

Fighter from RCAF make my hard beats faster.   

Hi, RCAF get this fighters form RAF. THE British Purchasing Commission requested only one change to the fighters they bought, replacing main guns for 7.7 Browning. Everything ales was the same as in US fighters, that means the interior color was US standard.   Only French Purchasing Commission has requested different instruments, guns. The did paint their planes in France just after  reassembly. 

That’s awesome to hear.  I can continue with my plan as I have the Browning’s to install.

I think I may have time to figure out what to do with the other parts I ordered lol.

Lots more RCAF in the pipeline.  Need to find mossie Mk iv decals and beau mk vi 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

48704461261_0b8907ec8e_b.jpg

48704624637_1793ebd1b5_b.jpg

So some parts came in.  Always have something in the mail it seems.

Received the correct seats(square back w Sutton harness) and a resin prop .

Therefore I continued on and got the cockpit together and was able to test fit the fuselage and miscellaneous parts.

Ordered the right size drills to stick the Browning’s in and will be making some progress once some seam work and sanding is done.

Does anyone know if the black on these early schemes were a straight line down the middle to the wing, or were they more convex in their appearance as the Airfix scheme shows?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
48768091372_42e8edfbe1_b.jpg

Been lazy as of late,  but I added some PE gunsights and brass pitot and .303 gun barrels.  Finished off the Curtiss grey on the lower fuselage today and hopefully will get the black on and then finish underneath before beginning on the upper camouflage.

• Like 2

48778374168_d8f62b60a2_b.jpg

48778916132_0c24b373ac_b.jpg

Did the true Sky (Sky Type S)band and propeller hub.

Masked off the Curtiss grey lower colour and landing gear bay for the black.  I was going to wait for my BoB colour for the actual BS Black but instead thought I’d compare how the NATO black looks and if I don’t like it just highlight the panels.

Normally for this scheme the end of the black varies but on my decal sheet and some other sources it states to go centreline.  So I did some creative thinking and imagine it looks best likes this.

The landing gear wheel bays with the canvas will be painted appropriately but I’m debating between aluminum or Zinc Chromate Yellow for the area that isn’t covered with canvas.  I know the actual legs are aluminum but I believe the bay itself should be YZC.

• Like 4

Found these a while ago on a google search, these are the best four of the bunch. They're from an old Life magazine article at the factory. 
spacer.png

Best look is over the mechanic in white overalls in this photo. ⬇️ Look at the inner door. spacer.png

spacer.pngunder construction in these two. ⬆️spacer.png

I believe this area here, ⬆️ Is the wheel well area where the strut lays when stowed. The reinforcing plate near the knees is most likely for the strut’s mount. Hopefully these help a bit ? 

Dennis

• Like 3

48790491837_55d23ba103_b.jpg

48790491837_55d23ba103_b.jpg

48790491867_be0e62f65b_b.jpg

Got tagged with the flu so decided to power through and mask the camouflage patterns.

Had to use frisked, Tamiya tape and blue tack for the complex sections.

Layed down the Curtiss brown and should be able to finish masking the rest once the brown has cured.

Decided to just hand paint the interior sections once I’ve finished with the fuselage colours.

Going to be busy but now have three or four more models for GBs that I haven’t even dented.

• Like 3