Tim's Revell Lightning F6 - COMPLETED

theplasticsurgeon

Returning with this Revell Lightning.

IMG-20190824-190858.jpg

I didn't really believe it to be of Frog origin, having built their Hasegawa based kit.

Edited 25 Aug 2019  11:00  -  I've just noticed the Frog code F266 on the sprues.  What further confirmation is required.

Scalemates say this Lightning is Frog, and I've just compared the parts on RayS' thread - match.

IMG-20190824-191422.jpg

For which I've got these decals, XtraDecal X011-72.

IMG-20190824-190917.jpg

for this Scottish Air Force Lightning

IMG-20190824-190940.jpg

This kit was from a colleague,  he's just lost his father, for whom I had built some model Meteors, Harvards, and a Defiant.

This kit and a Matchbox Two-seater were in his effects.   I'm thinking of you John.

• Like 9

And now my previous form for Lightnings:- quite a lot to take into consideration

By kits.

Airfix 1/72 F1A.  5 Sqdn.   This model is kitchen foiled.
Airfix_LightningF1Aphoto3.jpg

Airfix 1/72 F3.   111 Sqdn
Airfix_LightningF3photo2.jpg

Airfix FSW what-if.
Airfix-Lightning-FSW-FS.jpg

Matchbox F2A, 92 Sqdn
Matchbox_LightningF2Astbd.jpg

Matchbox F2A with Airfix 19 Sqdn decals.

Matchbox-Lightning-F2-A-2.jpg

Matchbox F2A,  19 Sqdn.
Matchbox_LightningF2A_FS.jpg

Airfix F2A,  92 Sqdn.

Airfix_Lightning_F2A.jpg

Matchbox F6  23Sqdn
Matchbox_LightningF6_23Sqdn.jpg

Matchbox F6, with Hasegawa decals for 11 Sqdn flagship.
Matchbox-Lightning-Flag-Stbd.jpg

Matchbox F6, with Hasegawa decals for Lightning Training Flight.
Matchbox-Lightning-Grey-Stbd.jpg

Matchbox T55 - converted to an 11 Sqdn  T5.
Matchbox_LightningT5Stbd.jpg

Matchbox T55 - USAF what-if
Matchbox-Lightning-USAF.jpg
Same Matchbox T55 - US Navy what-if, same model as USAF, one side only per service.
Matchbox_LightningUSNavy2.jpg

Matchbox T55VG - FAA what-if
Matchbox-Lightning-VGphoto1.jpg

Matchbox-Lightning-VGphoto2.jpg

Hasegawa F6,   74 Sqdn
Hasegawa_LightningF6_74Sqdn.jpg

Revell F6, 23 Sqdn.
Revell_LightningF6.jpg

23 Squadron only operated NMF Lightnings, moving to Phantoms before camo was introduced.

This model represents the Lightning 25 year anniversary in 1979,  when Binbrook aircraft were repainted in former Lightning squadron colours.

Airfix 1/48 F3,  29 Sqdn.
Airfix-Lightning-F3-1.jpg

Airfix 1/48 F6,  56 Sqdn
Airfix-Lightning-F6-1.jpg

Airfix 1/48 F3 with Aeroclub T4 conversion applied.  19 Sqdn.

Airfix-Lightning-T4stbd.jpg

• Like 13

Crikey Tim that's an impressive collection of Lightning models.

This will be good, I am surprised at this kit being Frog based. You would have thought that it would be Matchbox origin. Well you certainly live and learn.

Good luck with your build

All the best

Chris

Hi Tim,

Well as somebody else said on another thread, you can't have too many Lightnings! Excellent collection. Did Hasgawa mould it and Frog distribute it, or was it the other way round - can't remember?

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Looks as if someone likes his Lightning’s and judging my that great collection certainly knows his craft. Although I’m not one for whiffery, those quirky conversions are really great and very eye catching. Well done and it would appear another Build List update will be required shortly. I’ll let the weekend finish for everyone,  then see what’s been done. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

I had to say I love those Lightning's!

Fantastic work, espacially with those converted "What If's". A swing wing Lightning? Who would have toughts on that?

Cheers / André

On 8/24/2019 at 9:25 PM, PeterB said:

Did Hasgawa mould it and Frog distribute it, or was it the other way round - can't remember?

It's a very large and difficult to navigate diagram on Scalemates,  which I'm assuming is accurate.

It appears that Hasegawa created a Lightning mould in 1967.  Issued by Frog once in 1968, and used by a lot of other kit manufacturers.

I seem to recall a model with very promenent belly-gun blisters - which I've not built. 

That mould was modified by Hasegawa in 1989, which I've built as 74 Sqdn RAF.

The modified kit was used by Revell from 2007 onwards, I've build this as 23 Squadron RAF.

A new FROG mould F266 was created in 1974.  Was it done from scratch, or related to previous - who knows???

This mould has also been boxed by Novo, Chematic, ZTS, and once by Revell in 1996 (This box).  I can't see a Hasegawa release though.

Subsequent Revell Lightnings are that 1989 modified Hasegawa mould, which appears to have no Frog DNA.

All very interesting, but totally academic to anyone wanting a GOOD big-belly Lightning. 

They've all been surpassed by Airfix - in everything except price.

• Like 1

The 1974 FROG Lightning (and their Phantom and Harrier, also issued that year) were pretty much copies of the Hasegawa kits, but have only been issued as FROG and FROGspawn kits, not as Hasegawas. As the information on the origin of the mould comes from a book co-written by FROG's head of R & D, I think we can take it as accurate.

Cockpit, seat and interior are drying in the sun.

A decision on finish has been made.

This build will be another thunderous launch like my Matchbox Gutersloh build - this time blasting off from Leuchars.

I've got an ancient IPMS article, describing NMF airbrushing very dilute (5%) Humbrol 11, thinned in lighter fluid.

Going to give that a try.

I've found a picture of an LTF Lightning F3, complete with pilot.  White dome and drab overalls, so mine is being prepared.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2019 at 1:12 PM, PeterB said:

Lighter fluid - well if it does not melt the plastic it will certainly "dry clean" it.  Good luck!

Pete

I use lighter fluid as airbrush thinner all the time, just not that dilute.

AND no matter how hard I've tried, I've never yet turned my airbrush into a flame-thrower 🔥

• Haha 1

Some paint manufacturers recommend using cellulose thinners for enamel - it does seem to work but whether or not it is better than white spirits I cannot say. I seem to recall reading that it can damage certain types of plastic so I have only used it once or twice. For some reason my local branch of Sainsbury don't sell either lighter fluid or even gas - but then they have stopped selling pipe tobacco as well - perhaps they think they are being environmentally friendly!

Edited by PeterB

Pilot and seat.

IMG-20190826-170802.jpg

Tim's details:

Thinly sliced Tamiya tape for harnesses/straps.

Twisted yellow+black threads, soaked in Klear, for face curtain handle.

Silver gelpen for visor, outlined in black.  Same for oxygen tube.

• Like 5

On 8/25/2019 at 2:24 PM, PeterB said:

Some paint manufacturers recommend using cellulose thinners for enamel - it does seem to work but whether or not it is better than white spirits I cannot say. I seem to recall reading that it can damage certain types of plastic so I have only used it once or twice. For some reason my local branch of Sainsbury don't sell either lighter fluid or even gas - but then they have stopped selling pipe tobacco as well - perhaps they think they are being environmentally friendly!

I've thinned enamel with cellulose for airbrushing - this also works well.

Evaporates so fast, it doesn't harm the plastic - well not in my experience.

It's that fast evaporation that I'm looking for.

I had a gallon tin of cellulose thinners, when I painted a kit-car in about 1990.  It's so corrosive it ate thru the bottom of the can.  Mine is now in glass bottles - clearly labeled as POISON.

• Like 1

I know that I'm going to be asked about the quality of this kit, - well here goes.

And comparised with others that I've built.

I'll edit in other thoughts as they emerge. 

Both-Lightnings-1.jpg

First raised detail, rather than recessed.  Frog looks slightly better here.

No cockpit to speak of, I've just added a scratched instrument panel and gunsight.

Better ailerons than than Matchbox.

APU is represented by a hole, rather than a blob on Matchbox.  We're missing the aft lip.

No jacks to hold the airbrakes open - just as well I've closed mine.

No hook. No belly guns.

Holes in upper wings for overwing tanks - I've filled those.  Position looks more accurate than Matchbox - which look too far out.

Better depiction of that dotted line area at the tail.  Simplified single piece jetpipes - BUT they don't fit properly.

I'm convinced that parts for the ventral strakes are wrong way around on instructions.

Both-Lightnings-2.jpg

So far this kit is on a par with Matchbox at best.  The Airfix F6 is just in a different league.

Both-Lightnings-3.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

I had a gallon tin of cellulose thinners, when I painted a kit-car in about 1990.  It's so corrosive it ate thru the bottom of the can.  Mine is now in glass bottles - clearly labeled as POISON.

You to, I had a gallon of the stuff in my garage on the floor. After a few months it not only ate through the can but melted a hole in the concrete due to galvanic reaction ? Weirdest thing Ive ever seen in my life, seeing a liquid eat and convert a metal tin. Then continuing into the concrete. 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hi TPS,

Looking very good, another great addition to your collection in progress.

I do love the Lightning, as do you judging by your collection! Sat in one last year at Bruntingthorpe at their fast taxi day.

Have you tried using Alclad’s NMF? I was thinking of using it for my Airfix F6 waiting in the queue.

Cheers,

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

Have you tried using Alclad’s NMF?

Have you also tried AK Interactive’s Extreme Metal range? They are enamels and you can spray them straight from the bottle after a quick but thorough shake. I found them so easy to use and give excellent results. 

Oh - sorry Tim, the Lightning’s looking great. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Looks like it's doing what Lightning's did best - heading for the sky!

18 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Not as bright as I'd hoped

I'm sure it will look fine once the decals are on.

Cheers,

I seem to remember Humbrol also do a "Chrome Silver" which might be brighter (can't find my paint list as my wife has just cleaned out my workspace/study). Recently bought a rattle can of Nissan Silver from Halfords as a lot of people seem to recommend it for NMF and I have a Mustang and B66 Destroyer, plus a couple of Migs waiting to be done soon - never been much good at silver finishes as I don't have the patience to do all the contrasting panels. All the Lightning builds I have seen recently seem to have a very bright nose ring. I saw a video on the Airfix web page a while back where they used their "rub and buff" type metallic range, but I am not sure if they still make them. Seemed to work quite well but I suspect you have to use a black or at least dark primer first as with Alclad. I may even try it sometime when am in the mood (if ever) as I have several tins somewhere.

Looks like it is going to be another nice build.

Cheers

Pete