P-40M/N Italieri +++FINISHED+++

GREG DESTEC

3 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

I haave narrowed it down to two options from the decal sheet. One being a sharkmouth 112 Squadron  ship based in Italy with overall green camo, or the RNZAF option of the well known Waipareta Wildcat.

My vote goes for the unique scheme of overall green. 

• Thanks 1

Looking good Greg. I have ordered the exhausts as well. I think I will avoid the brass gun fittings after my experience with the Typhoon. 

It made me make a bit of a mess of the build. Mind you it might be easier on this one. 

My vote is the RNZAF green one. That way we are doing what we did on the Pacific GB. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

looking good!

Those exhausts are a huge improvement and that Master set looks just like a scaled down version of mine, that ball sight but be tiny!!

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My vote goes for the unique scheme of overall green. 

43 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Looking good Greg. I have ordered the exhausts as well. I think I will avoid the brass gun fittings after my experience with the Typhoon. 

It made me make a bit of a mess of the build. Mind you it might be easier on this one. 

My vote is the RNZAF green one. That way we are doing what we did on the Pacific GB. 

Thanks Guys 👍

I'm pleased you like what I've done so far. Choosing which version to build is the hardest part. On one hand I always like to see a sharkmouth  on a P-40 but worth about the decals. On the other hand I don't have any RNZAF builds on the shelf and like the white ID bands. 

Decisions, decisions...😕

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Nice to see you are underway and with an excellent start Greg. And those exhausts do look superb! I'm looking forward to see more progress! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

Thanks for the kind comments mate 😀

I'm pleased you like it. 

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have been beavering away at this one in the background 😉

So hopefully will have some progress to show before the weekends out. I have decided to do an RAF machine from 112 squadron so will have the sharkmouth but not desert cammo. 

More soon.

Cheers Greg 😁

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Greg. Hope you are well. I'm just checking if you have managed to make any more progress on this?

Hope you have a good weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

I have indeed made progress but have been lax in posting pictures 😞

it's been a really nice build, and I've been enjoying it so much that my online time has been sporadic! 

will try and get some up over the weekend. Thanks for your interest mate 😃

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 1

Morning Folks!

Here are my latest photos on what has become a Kittyhawk III. 

I finally fitted the brass gun barrels, which were a bit tricky to align, close inspection may show one or two to be a bit squint but hay ho it was my first shot at using brass and resin and i am relatively pleased with the results. They are a bit pricy though but are an improvement on the kit parts. I have two more of these AMT kits issued by Italeri and have learned a few things from this build which will help with the next one. I may attempt scratch building the guns next time....

But on with this one in the meantime. Got the main colours brushed on and have added a couple of Humbrol clear coats for the decals. I am dreading the sharkmouth but its got to be done soon. Build wise there is only the centerline bomb to add the centre canopy section, radio mast and the ring and bead sight. I am hoping to have it completed by next weekend, famous last words....

TFL Cheers Greg

48813360566_ac48bc6332_z.jpg

48813009048_d31f45bf81_z.jpg

48813508247_222162a049_z.jpg

48813008858_f28bdc1849_z.jpg

• Like 5

21 hours ago, gingerbob said:

There's something funky with the port side exhausts- maybe first pair too high?

Yeah, on closer inspection I guess you're right 😣

My bad.....

9 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Sorry, I was hoping it could (can) be dealt with, not trying to pop your balloon!

No probs,

I had a bit of bother aligning the exhausts cos they come in pairs. Tricky when the superglue sets so quick. They are set solid so I will have to live with it.

Cheers Greg 👍

Hi Greg. Hope you are well. Good to see your progress photos. Your paintwork looks excellent and I wouldn't worry too much about the exhausts. Most of us wouldn't have noticed! And the gun barrels look very impressive. Looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Greg. Hope you are well. Good to see your progress photos. Your paintwork looks excellent and I wouldn't worry too much about the exhausts. Most of us wouldn't have noticed! And the gun barrels look very impressive. Looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Cheers Stix 😁

I'm still enjoying this build, and have got the main decals on now. 

I hope to get more done soon.

Cheers Greg 

• Like 1

............and i'm done!

I really enjoyed this build, and would recommend the kit despite its age, and lack of sharp detail. I think it looks the part when complete.

The additions of exhausts, gun barrels, gun sight, piot tube made a difference to the appearance of the kit. The cockpit could do with a little TLC too. 

Thanks to all for likes and comments, which are always appreciated.

Cheers and thanks for looking, Greg

48919032507_7557101a4c_z.jpg

48919032472_882d57a73b_z.jpg

48919032392_7c771818e0_z.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

Well done Greg. Looks like it has had a hard life, which these birds did. 

Thanks Greg,

I just finished reading the book Shark Squadron Pilot by Bert Horden, which covers 112's time in Italy and by his account the Kittyhawks were hard used in Spartan conditions so they would have been well used. 

Cheers Greg 👍