Flycatcher question. What are these stripes on the lower wings?

Junchan

This is a well known photo of Flycatcher S1280 aboard HMS Glorious in which there were two stripes on inboard of the lower wings, between flaps and wing trailing edges (marked with a red circle).

0000251.jpg

Silver Wings provides PE parts of their excellent 1/32 scale kit, but nothing is mentioned in the instruction book.

0000251_3.jpg

Here is another photo of a Flycatcher which was not installed with the stripes.

0000251_2.jpg

Does anybody know what is a purpose of the stripes?  My guess is that the stripes secure the flaps in up position while the planes are on board.

Will appreciate any information.

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

From the photo of the real aircraft, I'd guess that they're control surface gust locks, to stop the ailerons 'flapping in the breeze'. But I could be wrong, and sadly I'm 1000km away from any references that I have. Hopefully someone who actually knows will chime in shortly.

45 minutes ago, Junchan said:

Thanks guys.

I also think that they're a kind of control surface locks, but wonder how they block the flaps go down.

Any idea?

Jun in Tokyo

One on the top of the wing, one on the bottom. locks the hinge and prevents the control surface moving up or down.

Selwyn

• Like 1

IIRC the ailerons on the upper and lower wings on the Flycatcher could be deflected 10 degrees down and used as flaps for landings or take-offs, so it didn't really have a separate flap assembly per se. @Selwyn, if that's correct, would there still be aileron function with them deflected down? I'm guessing maybe normal aileron function would still be available when the "down" setting is selected, but would return to the 10 degree down position when aileron up/down deflection was not required? Just curious!

Mike

1 minute ago, 72modeler said:

IIRC the ailerons on the upper and lower wings on the Flycatcher could be deflected 10 degrees down and used as flaps for landings or take-offs, so it didn't really have a separate flap assembly per se. @Selwyn, if that's correct, would there still be aileron function with them deflected down? I'm guessing maybe normal aileron function would still be available when the "down" setting is selected, but would return to the 10 degree down position when aileron up/down deflection was not required? Just curious!

Mike

Sorry I don't have any knowledge of how the control surfaces operated in flight. All I know is that on the deck the control surfaces were locked by the strips  shown  so they could not move  in any way ensuring that they did not flap around in the wind and get damaged.  The locking strips were probably positioned right next to the cockpit so the pilot could clearly see if they were still fitted, because  trying to fly with locked controls is not a great idea!

Selwyn

15 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Mike

Yes, your memory serves correctly. The Flycatcher incorporated the Fairey patent camber changing gear with full-span flaps on both upper and lower wings. The flaps can be lowered up to 8 degrees and the outer sections function also as ailerons.

The Swordfish also adopted the similar control system and both ailerons can be lowered at 8 degrees to work as the flaps. I don't have the Pilot's Notes for Flycatcher, but in the Swordfish manual, it is said that the control surfaces are locked in the neutral positions by locking the control column and rudder bar with the three locking stays, there are no description about the "Locking Plates" on the wings.

I checked the Flycatcher articles in "Fairey Aircraft since 1915", "Profile Publications 56", "Air Enthusiast 36" and "Aeroplane Monthly Jan. 2014", but none of them mentioned about the "Locking Plates".

Jun in Tokyo

If the top and bottom are both in full span 8 degs flap mode … What happens to  airleron control or does the 8 degs of flap become the new  neutral and still have aileron movement around that new position ?

Thanks, Graham and Jun- that's what I was thinking, as you still had to have some semblance of aileron function for roll control, especially when coming aboard the carrier. Very similar to the system used on many Luftwaffe aircraft, where the ailerons drooped when the flaps were extended. Since the ailerons/flaps  on the top and bottom wings are linked on the Flycatcher, the two locks on the lower wings would  keep the upper ailerons/flaps from movement, as well as be visible to the pilot from the cockpit that the locks were engaged.  Another modeling mystery solved! 👍

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text