F-15C "Tigermeet 91" 840021 - Live After Death

Nearly 20 years ago I had won an Ebay auction that was including more than 100 scrap kits in 7 moving boxes. I have selected some of them as donors for my running and possible future projects and let the rest of them to go.

An old Monogram F-15C was also one of the kit I have reserved. I have first disassembled her into every possible  pieces carefully and stripped off the paint:

1.jpg

And then assembled her back as good as possible:

2.jpg

3.jpg

But this was around 10 years ago.

The airplane was waiting her destiny in the dark corner of the workbench till I have bought a Fujimi F-15 Tigermeet. But to me its marking was not accurate and I have decided to make my own decals and use this old kit to test my custom decals.

The aim is to build as accurate as the real one:

26267_1209775137.jpg

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
typo
  • Like 10

Studying all available limited reference pictures and with my best guesstimate I did the following 3 view drawings:

967.jpg

968.jpg

969.jpg

Please let  me know if you identified any mistake or have any comments to improve drawings.

Serkan

• Like 3

Here is the decal artwork I have done in 1/48 scale:

970.jpg

I always perform fit test using Orafoil paper mask on which I can print the artwork with laser printer. After then I can cut the making foil with plotter/cutter.

Here is the test result on Academy F-15E (Monogram kit was primed and was not ready for this test 🙂 )

971.jpg

972.jpg

955.jpg

The result seems really good to me.

Serkan

• Like 7

The old airplane has been primed, painted and finally coated with Future/Pledge:

956.jpg

957.jpg

Now she is ready to apply decals. The decals were printed  by HP252 laser printer and precuttet by Silhouette plotter/cutter:

958.jpg

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 6

The most exciting part: applying the decals...

959.jpg

With a correct lighting it can be easily seen how nice plotter/cutter did its job:

960.jpg

The rest of the decals were placed as well:

961.jpg

962.jpg

963.jpg

964.jpg

Some close nose shots:

973.jpg

974.jpg

The next steps  are to apply dull coat and to attach pylons and missiles.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 7

Excellent Job!,

Built this jet twice over the years..

First time using the Fujimi thick & nasty decals on a 1/48 Hasegawa kit as the trash can was the best place for the Fujimi plastic.

Second time in 1/32 using Tamiya kit with a mix of handmade masks for the stripes and a Astra decal sheet for everything else.

Love the fact you've not only breathed new life into a old kit.but you made you own decals:wub:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...