Zis-5 truck 1/35

Ted

Hah, thanks Brad and Jinxman.

I worked on the undercarriage for a couple hours last night. The kit is well designed with lots of locating holes and pips but all of the holes are too small and have to be reamed out.

There is a minimum of part cleanup getting done and none of the sinkholes or ejection pin marks are getting any attention at all at this stage. Saving that for the visible parts.

SeKC0mjzdEEmIlOnObmS_hP5HPgsEFJRtgybkvJw

7Wk6Z-_WvNR2ZFjyl3OGQfBeQyk6-Kn1SfcvxOcp

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ted said:

There is a minimum of part cleanup getting done and none of the sinkholes or ejection pin marks are getting any attention at all at this stage. Saving that for the visible parts.

Odd how this never gets a mention in any of the magazine reviews.... Nice start and I like your choice. Quite ambitious.

3 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Odd how this never gets a mention in any of the magazine reviews.... Nice start and I like your choice. Quite ambitious.

Yes, this kit is not great. The detail is great and maybe it's accurate, I wouldn't know, but there are many sinkmarks and some mold misalignment. And check out the flashing, the wheel on the left has been cleaned up.

Lyrzp3PMsf5-522uD-EuSGZQl3ZWY4X3WmpCI4as

And this part doesn't fit

zcEBHTRuNU2X6JDl8_Z3foHHWCwADdRg8U4sNQic

So I cut off the hooks and glued them on once the panel was fitted.

tLVxLJB3enUEXrlZdZRaxiMV7Qn-PaTMIuYXeZhh

I sanded off some of the squiggly wood grain on the box. Top one has been sanded, bottom one is as molded.

wIlp1CZ0NJn5LsiqQnAzgBInfWmW6tRnQP97DFWA

Here it sits after my first 12 hr allotment. So far I've spent four hours on it and think I've finished the bulk of the fiddly assembly. The next challenge will be fitting the bonnet and cab. 😐

WrmZ-X2hagpQlY6xZnoQU1K6oqke_fljzxmysQcz

• Like 6

Thanks, the undercarriage of trucks always seems to take the most time and fiddling.

Started wrastling the body into place. 😬

vzE6wT_YED-q5YqqcqJsKzkOj3vyvGcdaNdvhueY

• Like 4

Phew, got some paint on. Coat of Tamiya black, Tamiya light grey highlight, and Vallejo cam.  olive green. Soon I'll finish assembly, coat it with future and then decals. I'll try dry fitting the windshields and back window to see if they can go on at the very end.

wSW3CYXSgzgWkqpXoJ7LbIrkQUr6KtnUUQRn-phw

7jHhav6RISfpn21pNW3jizcev3HjbkOiFuQ-S7KM

oqwddL0oqtRy3DHRQMbqaGqvjntaD3hUnLJifiey

• Like 2

Alrighty then, let's say this is complete. Much as I'd like to weather it I have to make dinner for board games night at our place tonight. Luckily only the doors had to be decalled so I glossed, decalled, glossed, and flat coated them separately before installing them on the truck. I'm really happy with the pre-shading/highlight results. First time I tried that and it worked out better than I thought it would.

Thanks to you all for making my first blitzbuild so fun and stressful. Including waiting for paint to dry I probably have about 12 hours into this kit.

x6UuCSO6-cwwyiug76zkMV9ExNn0ZeHQKJpo5AEw

Edited by Ted
  • Like 4