“A Typhoon with bite!” - Hawker Typhoon IB 245 Sqn Jun45

This was built as part of the "Sharks Mouth GB", and as per usual for me I wanted to do a scheme that was a bit different. A Hawker Typhoon with a Sharks Mouth certainly fitted the brief!

She's a full resin model 1/32nd from MDC with a few extras and corrections. I do have to she wasn’t one of the easier builds I had. Right from the start she had some serious issues with warpage in the wings, fuselage, control surfaces, cockpit internals….pretty much varying degrees of all over the place. The second one of these I have was a little bit better and for a while I was planning to build that one instead. But hey what’s life without a challenge!

This was the wing after heat treatment to remove the major warping, it still needed quite a bit of sanding, re-filling and profiling correct the shape.

IMG_2847-L.jpg

Unfortunately the decal set also caused issues as they did not want to conform at all with the complex shape of the radiator opening. They just fell apart even with decal solution. So I was forced to do these by hand…..well masking and airbrush. In the end I probably should have done the whole lot with masks and saved myself a lot of headaches.

In the end she was done and I’m pretty happy with the results considering. The next project (in the future) will be bulding the 2ndone with some bit from the old Revell model to build one of the 3 “Car Door” Typhoons the RAAF tested in the Middle East. 

Model: MDC 1/32ndHawker Typhoon IB

Paint: Tamiya & Mr Hobby Acrylics with Mr Paint & SMS lacquers, Model Master Metalizer Lacquer

Extras:

AML – Camouflage Painting Masks

Aviaeology – Shark Mouth Typhoon Decals

Special Hobby – RP-3 60lb SAP/HE Rockets

Squadron - Canopy

thank you for looking and please enjoy.

IMG_3364-XL.jpg

IMG_3369-XL.jpg

IMG_3373-XL.jpg

IMG_3376-XL.jpg

IMG_3377-XL.jpg

IMG_3378-XL.jpg

IMG_3380-XL.jpg

IMG_3384-XL.jpg

...and one of her siblings.

IMG_3387-XL.jpg

IMG_3391-XL.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good model Rich as I would expect from you. I wasn't aware the RAAF tested them in the desert. I have read it was Churchill that sent them to be tested it the desert. However,  it would make sense the RAAF did the testing considering the decals come from Red Roo. My desert Typhoon is real close to finishing. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Good model Rich as I would expect from you. I wasn't aware the RAAF tested them in the desert. I have read it was Churchill that sent them to be tested it the desert. However,  it would make sense the RAAF did the testing considering the decals come from Red Roo. My desert Typhoon is real close to finishing. 

I didn't know anything about this until I was going through the ADF-Serials website a found the listing for the Typhoon. I have seen the profile pictures before but hadn't realised they were RAAF evaluation aircraft. It would be a fun and interesting project to do one of these aircraft. 

http://adf-serials.com.au/typhoon.htm

http://adf-serials.com/research/Typhoon.pdf

plus there are some great photo's in here.

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/451-Typhoon