Airfix Gosling/Widgeon 2010 boxing: transfers any good?

Seahawk

In 2010 Airfix reissued their old Gosling kit in the new red box with markings for the same FAA version as before plus a USCG Widgeon.  Are the transfers included in this boxing any good?  I have found myself buying several ancient Airfix fossils (eg Walrus) just for the decent transfers they include nowadays but I have this suspicion that the Gosling dates from the period pre Cartograph when Airfix were including poor quality transfers made in India that looked very thin and liable to disintegrate.  Would not want to waste my money on them.  Am I right in my suspicion?

3 hours ago, Seahawk said:

In 2010 Airfix reissued their old Gosling kit in the new red box with markings for the same FAA version as before plus a USCG Widgeon.  Are the transfers included in this boxing any good?  I have found myself buying several ancient Airfix fossils (eg Walrus) just for the decent transfers they include nowadays but I have this suspicion that the Gosling dates from the period pre Cartograph when Airfix were including poor quality transfers made in India that looked very thin and liable to disintegrate.  Would not want to waste my money on them.  Am I right in my suspicion?

To answer the OP properly. Caveat emptor

I once had a red box kit. I did not build it. I gave it to number 3 son. 

Anyways, afair the kit decals were fine, in register and looked well printed. But a friend who also bought a red box kit at about the same time said his decals were out of register.

On the basis of that I'd say; not to bother buying. But if you get the chance to get some free ones take the punt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmm.  I already have 1 Gosling so I know how poor it is (though ISTR Jen Wright tried tarting one up in Airfix Modelworld).  I will have no idea whether the transfers are on brown paper without breaking the seal on the box.  The transfers for the FAA version (the only subject of interest to me) are pretty anonymous anyway except for the propeller warning stripes.

I think you kind gentlemen have saved me some money.  Thanks, all.

Edited by Seahawk

3 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

I think you kind gentlemen have saved me some money.

Just to make sure you don't weaken a friend brought 9 Gnat kits to do the Red Arrows. Two sets of smeared decals and a deformed canopy. IIRC that was January this year.

I've taken to opening the box in the shop (or on the stand) to check after purchase but before leaving. Got to say the recent releases have been much better than before.

23 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Hmm.  I already have 1 Gosling so I know how poor it is (though ISTR Jen Wright tried tarting one up in Airfix Modelworld).  I will have no idea whether the transfers are on brown paper without breaking the seal on the box.  The transfers for the FAA version (the only subject of interest to me) are pretty anonymous anyway except for the propeller warning stripes.

I think you kind gentlemen have saved me some money.  Thanks, all.

Still, with a lot of efforts of course, some are doing  a nice model out of this kit:

what makes my hat off! 

Regards

J-W