As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

BIG X

Microsoft - 'home screen' - 'log in screen'

Hi Folks - just a 'one in a million' question - as anyone had this 'home / log in' picture turn up on their windows page today...

weird.jpg

...if so - please let me know - as it's basically the view out of my 'man cave' window - and I have all Location tracking software - TURNED OFF...

WEIRD 

Thanks - Steve

Steve, you're facing the wrong way mate. The computers behind you?

Seriously though, yes I've had it as a "home screen" recently. Mine changed to something else today though.

15 minutes ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Steve, you're facing the wrong way mate. The computers behind you?

Seriously though, yes I've had it as a "home screen" recently. Mine changed to something else today though.

Thanks Dave - I thought something 'sinister' was occurring - but it looks like part of my view is 'pretty' enough to make a Microsoft background.

The view from the cave is 'panoramic' to say the least - you should have seen it on fire last summer though...

thanks for the response - Steve 

It's possible Microsoft in it's latest update to windows 10 has changed a setting to use files from your pictures folder and if this is the case no location tracking software is required. Turning it off doesn't fully hide your location anyway as your IP address can be used to locate you.

Windows 10 updates are notorious for re-activating some of its embedded 'spy ware', a major upgrade has recently been distributed & I found things like Cortana switched back on - perhaps Microsoft can explain why it needs to link simultaneously to over 15  of it's servers if it's not spying & gathering data.

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 10:41, Circloy said:

It's possible Microsoft in it's latest update to windows 10 has changed a setting to use files from your pictures folder and if this is the case no location tracking software is required. Turning it off doesn't fully hide your location anyway as your IP address can be used to locate you.

Windows 10 updates are notorious for re-activating some of its embedded 'spy ware', a major upgrade has recently been distributed & I found things like Cortana switched back on - perhaps Microsoft can explain why it needs to link simultaneously to over 15  of it's servers if it's not spying & gathering data.

Bugga -they know where I live - it's a good job the moors normally catch fire - if they are up there then they'll have scorched butts :lol:

The lack of privacy and MS and their sense of entitlement to fiddle with my computer is what's making me hang onto W7.  You can turn things off that MS are snooping on you with, but as has already been said above they keep "accidentally" changing all your prefs back. :dull:

On 24/08/2019 at 10:41, Circloy said:

perhaps Microsoft can explain why it needs to link simultaneously to over 15  of it's servers if it's not spying & gathering data.

Can you black-hole those by changing your hosts file or blocking them on your router?  I know I've done something like that in the past for different software so it's not wasting my bandwidth on ads.  I really should fix up one of my RasPis to work as a Pihole. :hmmm:

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

The lack of privacy and MS and their sense of entitlement to fiddle with my computer is what's making me hang onto W7.  You can turn things off that MS are snooping on you with, but as has already been said above they keep "accidentally" changing all your prefs back. :dull:

Hi Mike - you'll notice I'm back 'on the air' - it's been a very 'traumatic' experience - but then I can be a 'drama queen' a times...

Did my IP details change - do you still recognise me as 'me'...  I am ME -trust me - could there be another...

22 minutes ago, Mike said:

Can you black-hole those by changing your hosts file or blocking them on your router?  I know I've done something like that in the past for different software so it's not wasting my bandwidth on ads.  I really should fix up one of my RasPis to work as a Pihole. :hmmm:

Well it is a pitty that they stop supporting W7 as of januari 2020..

Love what i have on this machine...

30 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Did my IP details change - do you still recognise me as 'me'...  I am ME -trust me - could there be another...

I can see your IP, and it doesn't look familiar.  I had noticed you posting, don't worry :)

12 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

Well it is a pitty that they stop supporting W7 as of januari 2020..

I wonder whether that might change... they extended XP IIRC, or was that just for corporates? I forget :blink: If I have to consider W10, I think I'll also consider Linux at the same time, and consider moving over.  I've just read an article that MS are incorporating a Linux Kernel in W10 soon, so that's a bit of a shock.  As some bright spark said in the comments, just remove the NT Kernel and everything will be cool :lol:  There's also Zorin OS, which endeavours to be as close to Windows in functionality as possible, while running on the Linux kernel.  I've been meaning to have a look over that, but never seem to have time :shrug:

What would Kernal Sanders make of it all...

38 minutes ago, Mike said:

If I have to consider W10, I think I'll also consider Linux at the same time, and consider moving over. 

I got annoyed with Microsoft thinking that they know best and that I didn't have any option about the software that's on MY computer. Avoiding Windows 10 is why I moved to Linux a few years ago. I tried Ubuntu first, but that felt a bit alien. Then I tried Mint (cinnamon) which is very close to Windows in day to day use. It isn't perfect but I've had a lot less problems with it than I had in the last couple of years of using Microsoft products. It doesn't seem to slow down over time as Windows does – I was having to re-build my PC every couple of years to speed it up again.

Some of the software has taken time to learn (like GIMP and Inkscape), but that's no different to swapping to a new application suite. LibreOffice is pretty much identical to the MS suite. And of course virtually everything you will ever need is free.

Don't forget you can install Linux alongside Windows and have the option to dual boot.

24 minutes ago, Gorby said:

It doesn't seem to slow down over time as Windows does – I was having to re-build my PC every couple of years to speed it up again.

At one time there was the alleged 'Microsoft - Intel' conspiricy whereby Intel would produce a faster processor, Microsoft would then eat up the extra power & more, needin a faster processor which Intel would oblige with which ...:hourglass:

So we've ended up with a situation a bit like central London which is now full of vehicles capable of much greater speeds than the horse & cart but travelling at the same average speed .

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Can you black-hole those by changing your hosts file or blocking them on your router?

I've started by removing the default settings in the firewall that allows them to pass through but as that too is a MS product router settings may be worth looking at.

2 hours ago, Circloy said:

I've started by removing the default settings in the firewall that allows them to pass through but as that too is a MS product router settings may be worth looking at.

I did a bit of digging while I was mooching round the internet, and for anyone that's tired of MS using you as a product, there's Spybot Anti-Beacon, which shuts all that crap down and allows you to fine tune what you allow out of the door and isn't loaded with spyware like some of these so-called privacy suites. 

One of the most irritating ones I saw was that MS can actually use your PC and your bandwidth that you pay for to provide others with MS updates in a Peer-to-peer network of their own.  So they're running a torrent of their updates and you can be sitting there doing your work or surfing, and some of your bandwidth will be being used by MS to facilitate and cheapen their update process.  It'll also be costing you more in the way of electricity (although not too much) due to the higher load on the CPU, which could otherwise be throttling back during quiet times.  To me that's theft, deftly buried in the settings to fool you into not looking for it, and with the settings distributed far-and-wide and the more privacy centred options in tiny fonts it's abundantly clear that they don't want you to find it either.

I've installed it on my W7 machine, and it's surprising how much data is being sent back to MS even on this older OS.  Worth a punt, especially if your internet isn't the quickest, you're on a metered plan, or you just resent having your personal data used and abused, while you help them defray update distribution costs. <_<

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Mike is that a one off license or do you need to buy it again next year?

11 minutes ago, perdu said:

Mike is that a one off license or do you need to buy it again next year?

I have a feeling it's a yearly sub, which seems fair as they have to react to all the bobbins that MS will try when enough people get wise to their data theft - let's call it that for want of a better word.  Just because we don't see what's being asked of us because it's so well buried or couched in such a way as to seem helpful, doesn't mean we've made an informed decision to accept this :poop: We're being hoodwinked on a massive scale.

I wonder how compromised their iteration of Linux will be?  I've a feeling that the NT codebase will slowly disappear into the background, and MS will become another player in the Linux flavour marketplace.  It's a lot easier to curate code written by other people than it is to write your own. :shrug:

I am surprised that the latest over-complex release hasn't killed my version of Win7 games

yet

It has stolen another 3gig of hard drive again

My wife enjoys playing the older version of Spider Solitaire, says it is far preferable to that in the Win10 games pack but so far each update has hidden the 7 software package

Irritating, overbearing tosh

37 minutes ago, perdu said:

it is far preferable to that in the Win10 games pack but so far each update has hidden the 7 software package

Games also reinstall themselves if you delete them - I guess MS don't get their fee if people aren't playing them or at least have them installed on the PC.  One of the videos I watched also showed how even with the protection software installed, new updates will mess with some of your data choices, or introduce options that weren't there, ticking them of course so they can extract the maximum data possible.  That's why you have to check after every update to ensure your choices haven't been subverted.  One such option is to collect "data from input devices", AKA your keyboard.  So all your banking and passwords are being collected by MS and who knows if they're being transmitted back to them in the clear?  It's more than a bit worrying if you look into it, and all it takes is one data breach at MS and that's all your private data out in the wild. :boom:

Incidentally, Firefox/Mozilla have a new feature on their browser that monitors whether your credentials may have been exposed by any data breaches in the past.  It's quite scary how many breaches there have been and yet we seldom hear about them.  Add to that the fact IE is a dead-beat, MS Edge will soon be running on Chrome code (and already sends all your data back to MS), that pretty soon Chrome will make much of your anti-advertising add-ins stop working, and there's one mainstream choice for browsing for me.  Firefox. (ignoring Safari, as I know diddly about it, and we've been talking PC in this thread) /tinfoil hat

I am a Firefox believer myself 'though it seems to get huge-er ever time it updates

I must get a look at my 'choices' now after seeing this Mike, a very useful heads-up

7 minutes ago, perdu said:

I must get a look at my 'choices' now after seeing this Mike, a very useful heads-up

You'll need a FF account to access it IIRC, but that brings with it the ability to link other devices and PCs so that your browsing experience and your shortcuts, toolbars and bookmarks are all waiting for you once you link that machine to your account.  Also handy when you get a new device, as there's none of that kerfuffle getting it how you want it and transferring bookmarks etc.  You just link it, log in and it populates everything ^_^ Mozilla have pinned their flag to privacy in a big way, and I trust them a lot more than MS, or Google.  There are other smaller browsers out there that might be keen on security/privacy, but I doubt they have the size and funding to be as good at is as FF is.

55 minutes ago, Circloy said:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

As in 'pawned' not ...

pwned is a common typo for "owned", and it caught on in the early internet leet-speak as I call it before we had BRB, LOL and TBH.  They also use words like pron for the obvious and l33t (as in leet - elite) and other such silliness.  Some of them linger on, others have gone the way of the dodo.

WHOA!!!  Microsoft are at it again - either I live in a very picturesque part of the world or they are definitely spying on me...

whoa.jpg

...this is 2 miles up the road from home - SPOOKY MKII

It's probably because it's picturesque,when it comes to landscapes i've seen a lot worse....

Edited by Vince1159

40 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

it's probably because it's picturesque,when it come to landscapes i've seen a lot worse....

It's not a bad place to live - when the flippin moors aren't on fire that is :lol: