Hkp 4B Swedish Navy Vertol

Vertol Hkp 4B

1 Helicopter Division, Swedish Navy, 1986

If anyone reading this was at the 1986 Middle Wallop air show, as I was, I’m sure you will remember these Swedish helicopters as stars of the show and rare beasts indeed in the UK.

IMG_2932

It sometimes takes a while for all the elements to come together to built a model and for me it was the recent availability of the Swedish camo colours from Hataka that completed the set. I have had the ‘Flying Colours / Aerodecals’ sheet for a long long time, kept in the equally old Hobbycraft Vertol 107 kit box waiting to go.

IMG_2929

If you like masking, then this is the model for you. If you don’t, sheer perseverance will get you there in the end – or at least that’s how it was for me. I thought the rotor blade camo might be the easy bit, but having to do it all 6 times extended the timescale beyond what I wanted – you can only do so much masking at a time.

The Hataka paints airbrushed beautifully and I would recommend them. Next time though I think I would spray the two greens and hand brush the brown and black to keep masking to a reasonable level.

IMG_2903

IMG_2926

IMG_2923

IMG_2921

IMG_2920

• Like 49
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Hello Chris such a lovely build, wich hataka paints did you use? The red or orange?

cheers, Jan

Red Line set. I suppose I had better do a Viggen while they're still fresh...bring out the masking tape

47 minutes ago, 3DStewart said:

Scale please?

1/72 - sorry, I usually include scale in the title but forgot this time

• Like 1

That's without a doubt the most stunning rendition of a Hkp 4 I've ever seen.

Superb in all respects, top tier modelling!

And yes, I also remember it being displayed… let's say, aggressively, at air shows. It's a scandal that the Hkp 4 was retired long before its time which left Sweden without a really competent sea rescue helicopter.

Kind regards,

Joachim

What a beautiful build.

I remember the 1986 Middle Wallop show. The Danish Air Force Hughes 500 with a big silver cardboard key stuck in it to wind it up, and what appeared to be the entire AAC advancing line abreast on the spectators.

I saw it in the flesh on Thursday. and it really is a beaut!!  Well done Chris!!! Suitably rewarded first in the friendly club level comp!!