Caudron C-714R Racer...just because.

Though I'd dip my toes into a resin kit build, haven't done that in a very long time. I recently purchased a number of Caudron racers from Dujin and thought I'd start off by looking into the 714R.

First of all...

20190823-153846-1.jpg

...the box, looks innocent enough. Open the box, open the box!

20190823-154124-1.jpg

A PE fret, a vac canopy and some nicely printed decals...looking good.

20190823-154411-1.jpg

Aaahhhhh!!! I dare not look too closely at the moment but it looks like I've got my work cut here with lots of cleaning.

20190823-154036-1.jpg

And three pages of stuff that only a Google translator will be able to decipher.

Am I put off, nah, just a flesh wound, modellers are made from this stuff.

You can all have a laugh now. 

Stuart

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Courageous said:

Thanks for the support guys. :rofl:

I have another four Caudron racers by Dujin but I'll have to space them out or I'll be committed into some institution :mental:.

Stuart

If you need some translation, ask me.

Patrick from across the Channel.

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2019 at 5:28 PM, Moa said:

Mine came with anti-depressants and aspirin, did yours? or do you have one of the old releases that came with the rope?

Mine came with a loaded revolver :suicide:

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd do a little investigation into this resin kit. and separated the parts from the bucket of flash.

20191014-124250-1.jpg

Fuselage halves, main wing and a horizontal stabilizers.

20191014-124455-1.jpg

That is some warpage on the fuselage rear section, not to sure how I'm going to sort this.

20191014-124517-1.jpg

Main wing with wheel wells full of c**p, will have to be very careful here.

20191014-124257-1.jpg

Smaller parts; wheels with legs, wheel covers, integral cockpit, I/P and a prop, that's 11 parts in all...

20191014-124608-1.jpg

...and these are meant to be wheels with their legs.

I can safely say that this is the worst kit I've ever encountered and is going to give me much pain and anxiety. If I can wrestle the main parts into submission, I may have to scratch parts like the wheels, undercarriage, wheel well covers, etc. Have I met my match here...time will tell.

Stuart

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, roadrunner said:

very courageous...

...or very stupid. I have seen you WiP (2017) but I seem to have trouble seeing all your images at the moment.

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

use it as a template to make a new one.

Nice idea but with a number of Dujin racers in the stash, I need to tame these beasties...looks like my bottle of Jameson's might take a hit.

Stuart

7 hours ago, Courageous said:

Main wing with wheel wells full of c**p, will have to be very careful here.

Those delicious bubbles you also see in the general area are the result of the French recipe for resin, which includes Champagne*. Always the gourmands, the French!

*Appellation d'origine contrôlée (AOC, not to be confused with my hero AOC, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez)

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Word of warning on these type of resin kits.

The temptation is to sand the fuselage halves flat so the tail and nose meet up again, however this usually lends to an unintentional wasp waisted fuselage.  Heat is what is needed, but what type?

Boil them!  Give them a good bath in a nice rolling boil for about 5 minutes.  Use a big enough pot so they don't get crowded and use tongs to keep them off the bottom.  They generally tend to float about in the bubbles anyway, so it's not too hard.

When they's good and warm throughout, lift out with tongs, flex them a bit more they need to go (over-correct), and then plunge them into a sink of cold water to set them.  If they don't look good after the cool down, boil them again!

A hair dryer is usually what works better on thin things, but it will never get the internal thickness of this resin up high enough to get it to stay where you want it.  Boiling will.

And you get to enjoy all those lovely resin vapors again!  They are part of the bubbles after all!

• Like 2

A Bain Marie, which is a pan full of hot water, with an inner bowl which does not contact the bottom of the pan, is a way of  transferring the heat of the pan water to the liquid in the bowl, in which is immersed the resin parts.  This is the way you melt chocolate, without it burning on the pan bottom.   Polyurethane resin has a heat deflection temperature of around about 50 deg.

An alternative way is to strap the resin fuselage either side of a thin piece of metal such as a small steel rule or a thin large nail file or flat knife blade and immerse that into the water. allow to heat and then run under cold water. This gives you a constant centre line.

John

• Like 4

Stuart,

Those Sabre kits on your shelves are beginning to look better and better, aren't they? Seriously, I would never even think about trying something this demanding- you have my admiration and support. Reminds me of an old vintage Strombecker kit- take the block of balsa out of the box and carve away everything that doesn't look like the airplane on the box art! 

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks @Bronzemeister and @John Aero for your'boiling' support. I did spend a little time on Youtube watching the boiling/ heating process. Will be an interesting process, what could possibly go wrong 🚑.

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Those Sabre kits on your shelves are beginning to look better and better,

Where is your sense of adventure. :rofl:

My dear @Moa, I think you're enjoying with my situation a little too much...boiling, pitchforks, acid. Are a you the Witchfinder General reincarnate? 

Stuart

• Haha 1

Oh wow - build your own kit, eh?  :DI'm never gonna complain again if I need to do little puttying & sanding on a plastic kit - that clump of resin looks scary!

I'm following another thread of a resin kit - which seems to be in the nicer end of resin kits. This on the other hand - seems to be on the other end of the spectrum? I think I need to follow both threads before I dive into building my first resin kit.

• Like 1

Actually (much as I hate to admit it) monty python were wrong the Spanish Inquisition made very long appointments so everybody expected the Spanish Inquisition.

i had a Pegasus ‘kit’ in my stash, I gave it away on the basis that it probably will be easier to scratch the subject than beat the alleged kit into submission 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Well here I am, thought I'd better get my butt in gear with this, this....thing.

20191202-124621-1.jpg

Not very much here. The floor and seat are moulded as one piece and so just need to be painted. The floor was wood I believe, so had a coat of Vallejo Iragi Sand as a base and then had a thin layer of burnt Umber oil paint. Seat was painted Aluminium. The kit PE belts were painted Khaki with silver metalwork. Control stick is a short length of aluminium tubing.

20191203-125424-1.jpg

The floor/seat part was CA'd into the fuselage half and the halves were CA'd together and now being restrained by a number gutsy clamps. It will not beat me...I hope.

Stuart

• Like 7

Aahhh... and I thought my S6B was trixey!

I have a CMR Spitfire 24 lurking unfinished somewhere, I swore off resin after that.

I think it's already been said above somewhere, but you're very Courageous!

Best of luck with the rest of the build Stuart.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Johnson said:

I swore off resin

As I have indicated earlier, this is the worst kit ever that I've worked on but short of scratch building one, I believe their is no other option, so you've just got to get stuck in if you want one.

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

doesn't look like a Sabre

You're right but you need little demons like this to sharpen your skills don't you? I'm hoping that in the end, I will prevail and produce something worth looking at.

Clamps off a little later and we'll see how much work has got to be done on the seem and stuff, a lot I should imagine.

Thanks guys.

Stuart

• Like 1