GWH 1/48 P-61A Black Widow "Jukin Judy"

3 hours ago, DJJunis said:

Looking awesome Christer..one of my all time favorites and you're doing a great job! I don't have the GWH kit so this is a real treat to  see someone work on it. I have several of the original issue Monogram kits though and some of this may translate but if not it's no matter you're doign a great job.

All the Best!

Don

Thanks Don!

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Christer !!

Should I take a seat at the bar ?

I still have a Monogram one and a fancy decal sheet to go with it !!

I'll follow if you don't mind it !!

Sincerely.

CC

CC you're always welcome, and the bar is kind of empty so pick any sit you like!

Fancy decals and a Monogram kit sounds like an excuse to start it, doesn't it?

One of my favorite WWII planes, looks like you’ve gotten off to an excellent start! I really like the added detail you’re putting in. 

Question on the vents, would it make more sense to scratch-build those with strip styrene, rather than file and drill away? You won’t have much “stroke” when filing, and I feel like there may be high risk of breaking those thin vanes during the process. I’m not a master scratch builder by any means but it was a thought that had occurred to me. 

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words.

I thought about doing it that way, but decided against it. The reason is that it would be hard to get all the vanes in the correct position both span and chord wise, and with the correct spacing to each other. By using the kit parts, suitable welded with Tamiya Green Cap, I ensure the correct spacing. Off course, there isn't much space for the "strokes" for filing but of if I can manage a good chain drilling the clean up will be minimal.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a picture of my first attempt of hollowing out the inlets.

48760674773_b3529b69b6_o.jpg

The idea had some merit, but the end result was not really up to what I was aiming for. I didn't manage to get rid of all steps, and there were chips and nicks all over the place, and then I broke one vane off.

So in the end, id did exactly like @RadMax8 suggested and cut away the whole thing, and made new vanes from plasticard.

48854117413_9dcfe2bdaa_o.jpg

I think it's well worth the effort, and should've done this in the first place.

Oh well.

I spent some money on the penultimate Hannants order before Brexit to buy some more necessities.

48854671447_8365548f00_o.jpg

No more fancy stuff to be bought for this kit! From now on, everything will be scratchbuilt. Should be fun 😃

Also, I cut off the major part for the center fuselage.

48854671487_aa1b8ea1f8_o.jpg

Strewth! There's some good stuff in there, and I've not even started on the tiny bits!

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 6

43 minutes ago, Christer A said:

There's some good stuff in there, and I've not even started on the tiny bits!

Closing the fuselage parts will be tricky - take your time!
I really like your progress so far and will follow with interest.

Peter

• Thanks 1

Thanks Beazer and Peter!

Yeah, closing the fuselage will be interesting for sure, but I plan to tackle this like it was a Valom-kit, so there will be a lot of dry-fitting.

I saw your infill that you did Peter, but I must wonder if you ever finished it?

• Like 1

Show-off! 🤩

Ah! Now I understood how your page was setup, and found the other parts.

It looks absolutely brilliant!

Edit: how will you attach the landing gear, since you've closed both booms and fuselage?

Edited by Christer A

14 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Edit: how will you attach the landing gear, since you've closed both booms and fuselage?

Yepp... good question...

This is something I will sort out tomorrow evening..... 😎

I´ll keep you posted.....😉

It looks absolutely brilliant!

Thank you! Great to hear you like it

Edited by Knaupel
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Beazer said:

I’ve got a Revell Widow with every goodie crammed in and was thinking of that same scheme.  I’ll be following this with interest!

I've also got a "barely started" Monogram Widow, and the fancy decal sheet to do... Jukin' Judy!  My daughter approved of the mouth, so that settled it.  Plus for some reason I've always shunned the European Widow ("What is the flying speed of a..."), perhaps because I just associate them with the Pacific, but at the time I was contemplating this build I rather liked the notion of a black one with invasion stripes.

bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/7/2019 at 3:39 PM, Christer A said:

Installed the landing gear this evening. You only need a little pressure and it's slipping in.

• Like 2

On 07/10/2019 at 16:12, gingerbob said:

I've also got a "barely started" Monogram Widow, and the fancy decal sheet to do... Jukin' Judy!  My daughter approved of the mouth, so that settled it.  Plus for some reason I've always shunned the European Widow ("What is the flying speed of a..."), perhaps because I just associate them with the Pacific, but at the time I was contemplating this build I rather liked the notion of a black one with invasion stripes.

bob

"Barely started" to me sounds like you need to just start a WIP, and then we can cheer you on.

A dirty, black, striped P-61 with a big mouth was too much for me to say no to,!

On 07/10/2019 at 16:55, dominique17 said:

Nice one Dominique!

Is there a WIP somewhere?

22 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

@Christer A Well done on the vanes, I knew you had it in you😉

17 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Agreed! Nice work there on the vanes. Something to keep in mind.

Thanks guys!

14 hours ago, Knaupel said:

Installed the landing gear this evening. You only need a little pressure and it's slipping in.

Good news!

Installing the landing gear at this stage is major pain, so it's very good to know that it can be done later.

• Like 1

Thanks CR!

During the weekend I made a small start in the cockpit, but those pictures will come later.

However, during today's lunch walk I popped in to an Arts & Craft store nearby and found this:

2746_01.jpg?width=515&height=515&pad=tru

Spun Ø0,3 and Ø0,4mm tin wire. This stuff should be excellent for all kinds of hoses and stuff in the rather large and comfy cockpit.

Minimum quantity was 5 meters of each size, so now I'm set for life 😎

• Like 3

Despite lots of distractions from work and family the build goes on. Let's have a little look at the rear cockpit where the radio/radar-man is located.
48899189691_c47aa758ec_o.jpg

Oh dear. Those inserts weren't of Tamiya-fit quality so there is some nasty joins to deal with. I think I need to bring out some plastic sheet here and cut to shape. That also gives an opportunity to add some more missing ribs, but my Evergreen strips needs the exercise.

The GIB (Guy In Back) surely would like a floor, and here GWH provides! Same floor is also used a the gun bay roof for the not so fault-proof license-built Hispanos.

The small wall where the opening hatch is located was mostly flat, but looking over at MAAM this is not the case.

IMG_2655.jpg

I tried to replicate that accordingly

48898657583_387754455b_o.jpg
The hatch itself is a later project, but I realize some railings would be a nice add-on.

The GIB:s seat can swivel and also slide a bit back and forth, but GWH must've missed the C-C distance for the tracks because it doesn't match with the wheels /sliders on the seat part.

I guess I need to pry it off and cut it to match.

Moving forwards to the front cockpit I get this.
48898657653_13f424993e_o.jpg
Big gaps between nose gear bay and cockpit floor, without any fun stuff in between.
Well, we can't have that in an open cockpit, can we?

Swiftly (*) I started in on the plastic strips, cutting and filing and having a merry time. 
48898657503_b0566359bb_o.jpg
I might need to continue the detailing down into the gear bays now...

And then it's a slippery slope down to redoing the main gear bays too 🙄

(* it took a long time)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

It's time to have some more fun with the GiB:s stuff.

First up, this panel:

48999927287_a6fb7f83ba_o.jpg

It's not too bad, but it looks a bit baren't boned. I know that all this equipment looks very different on the B and C models, and when one trawls the net for suitable pictures it's a bit of a guesswork what it actually looks like. In the end, I just went for a busy look, and started to raid the spare box for suitable parts to use.

48999178918_e3033d1635_o.jpg

There are pieces of Mosquitos and Phantoms on there now.

Loose wires might not be proper, but it adds to the clutter...

Ok, the spirits were up after doing that panel, so I started then to dig into the gondola itself. The internal wing fillet piece was a poor fit, so I had to resort to adding some plastic sheet to cover it up, and add a few more ribs.

48999178993_22813de5b5_o.jpg

My stock of plastic sheet is just 0,25mm thick and I've learned the hard way not to use too much glue to attach it. This time it worked like a charm though.

A pair of entry handles was also added.

Then I was supposed to add an oxygen hose. But just adding that to the sidewall would've looked a bit strange so I added a few pipes and something that could look like a regulator for the untrained eye (that's me!)

After that I could add the hose :)

48999927197_1b1afc5509_o.jpg

I'm very pleased with how that turned out.

One could always add a few more things but I think this will do. For now.

Front cockpit work has started, but its very time consuming so there is not much to show for now.

• Like 3

Let's do a short update before I start with this weekends modeling lark.

The guns are a tricky thing to handle.
49037014142_8c137fbacd_o.jpg

GWH wants me to assemble the Hispanos first, and then slide them into one fuselage-side. That might work fine there, but then I need to slide the other fuselage half over the cannons, and then join the fuselage. That won't work, I'm sure. My idea is to cut of the barrel, and try to slide them into the cannon later on. We'll see how that goes.

Inside the cockpit, work is under way. I've added the plastic stuff to the right side:
49036797251_7ca32d679d_o.jpg
Looks ok actually, but I was having so much fun at the rear so I'll start to add a lot of wiring here as well
49036797226_ffa9881918_o.jpg

Let's get it on!

• Like 5

Hi Christer,

The P-61 was one of my father's favourite warplanes and I have a soft spot for "sharkmouths" so I am following your WIP with great interest.

Regarding the Great Wall P-61A kit I browsed the net and it seems that GW took notice of their mistakes and corrected the omission of the magnetos, etc in the next boxing, P-61A "Glass Nose" (see link below), I'm tempted to buy this kit and the Print Scale decal sheet to model the same "Jukin' Judy" as you.

Keep up with the good work!

Rui

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/gwh/kit_gwh_4806.shtml

Edited by Rui Silva
Spelling
  • Like 1