Blue Leader - A-Wing Interceptor - Bandai 1/72

Hello all - this is my first Sci-fi / Star Wars model since returning to the hobby and certainly won't be the last - I had a great time putting this together, mainly due to the kit - it really is magnificent - doesn't need glue :) A nice quick build resulting from not having to fill any seams or close any joints. Click together and paint. 

The scheme came from an image I saw of an A-wing at a model show - I've since discovered that when Ralph McQuarrie first designed the concept for the A-wing, it sported these colours - however, these were changed to the familiar orange red due to the restrictions of bluescreen. In any case, I think it looks quite nice in blue. The only modification was sawing the canopy in half so I could have an open cockpit. I used some leftover decals from some old kits and added Eduard PE seatbelts - Painted with Tamiya acrylics with oils for weathering. The NMF was done with Vellejo Metal colour and Alclad.  

Fini

Fini

Fini

Fini

Fini

Fini Fini

Fini

Fini

Fini

I did a WIP on this if you're interested: 

Thanks for looking in... 

Cheers

John

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I recently built my Wing A and I must say that I love your work. I really like it a lot more than the one I got in mine. A weathering very well achieved. All effects are in harmony.

By the way, it's a shame you didn't finish your model before he did. I would have liked to leave the canopy open to better appreciate the cockpit but I never thought about the idea you had of partially having it. I really liked the idea of leaving it that way.

Congratulations.

Andrés S.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

Hi.

I recently built my Wing A and I must say that I love your work. I really like it a lot more than the one I got in mine. A weathering very well achieved. All effects are in harmony.

By the way, it's a shame you didn't finish your model before he did. I would have liked to leave the canopy open to better appreciate the cockpit but I never thought about the idea you had of partially having it. I really liked the idea of leaving it that way.

Congratulations.

Andrés S.

Thanks so much for your kind comments Andrés - I'm a huge admirer of your work and your A-wing build really influenced my thinking on this one. Your brush work on the A-wing was amazing - especially on the cockpit and pilot figure - my efforts pale in comparison to yours :) 

Regarding having an open cockpit - this was really just so I could avoid painting the pilot! - I really struggle with figures at this scale but have since bought a magnifier so hopefully this will help. It was an easy modification to slice the canopy in half and I thought since you get 2 in the kit, I could always use the other one if I made a mess of it. 

Thanks

John

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Thanks so much for your kind comments Andrés - I'm a huge admirer of your work and your A-wing build really influenced my thinking on this one. Your brush work on the A-wing was amazing - especially on the cockpit and pilot figure - my efforts pale in comparison to yours :) 

Regarding having an open cockpit - this was really just so I could avoid painting the pilot! - I really struggle with figures at this scale but have since bought a magnifier so hopefully this will help. It was an easy modification to slice the canopy in half and I thought since you get 2 in the kit, I could always use the other one if I made a mess of it. 

Thanks

John

Hi John.

I really enjoy painting figures and cockpit with the brush. And so I use Vallejo Model Color paints, which as you know are designed to be used by brush which greatly facilitates their application, which is comfortable and easy. To do this you only have to take into account two things: use a good quality brush that has a sharp point and get the correct thinning of the paint with water. Then it's just practice, like everything in life.

I'm not particularly good at painting with a brush but if you ever have any doubts you just have "to shout" and I will answer you the best I know.

Regards.

Andrés S.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 10:40 PM, Andrés S. said:

I'm not particularly good at painting with a brush but if you ever have any doubts you just have "to shout" and I will answer you the best I know.

I’ll definitely take you up on that offer - I have a few brush painting projects lined up might PM you when I get into those. 

On another note, we just had the New Zealand IPMS nationals here and this model took out the best in class for sci-fi... it was my first competition so it was very humbling and Very unexpected, especially given the level of competition. 

6DXuxED.jpg

• Like 6

Congrats on the win John! She's a real beaut' no doubt about it! 😎

The A-wing is one of my favourite starfighters (sharing with the TIE Interceptor). I see they subtly updated it to a slightly sleeker RZ-2 version for the latest trilogy.

I must admit I didn't really notice the subtle changes to the actual design in the latest flick at first, I was too busy goggling at the rather easy on the eye pilot, Tallie. 😍

• Like 1