325th FG 'Checker tail Clan' P-40s

Brian J

In researching the P-40's flown by the 325th FG I found information that I was  unaware of that I'd like to share with members.  I have long wanted to do a build-up of a Merlin powered P-40 and by adapting the old AeroMaster resin nose (conversion 629) and the Mauve Kittyhawk III kit along with other aftermarket items hope to do my subject, White 40 'Trixie' of the 318 FS, justice. 

I had long believed that the 325th flew the 'F' version of the P-40 but close scrutiny of photos plus more recent research suggests the 325th flew the 'L' version operationally.  I quote the following from the Detail & Scale, Volume 62, Part 2, 'P-40 Warhawk':  "The 325th Fighter Group had flown off the carrier USS RANGERc CV-4, to Tafaraoui, Algiers, in January 1943, but their aircraft had been taken away and given to the 33rd Fighter Group which had given its aircraft to the French.  It was April 1943 before the 325th could reequip with P-40Ls and begin operations."  

Photos and profile drawings appear to have been miscaptioned many times over the years.  These photos show a four gun armament instead of the usual six gun arrangement of the 'F' version and a panel that was added on the left side of the windscreen that could be opened for ventilation.  These two modifications were found on the 'L' version.  

Four b&w photos of White 40 'Trixie' can be found on page 12 of the Squadron/Signal Publication Checkertails:  The 325th Fighter Group in the Second World War by Ernest R. McDowell.  At the upper right on page 17 can be found a photo that illustrates these two main external identifying features that show the difference between the 'F' and 'L' versions.

If I have been in error in any of my observations I would enjoy hearing of them before I get too far along in my build-up!    

Hi Brian

Whilst the first part of your information is correct (that they flew long tailed F models off the CV's), however I believe you may be slightly mistaken as overall they flew a mixed bag of both L models and F models during operations. First noted Loss was an L model in April, an F model was lost on the 7th May 1943.

Other examples for you:

Claims made by the 325th FG 20th May 1943: - 1Lt Grove in a P-40L 42-10474, LtCol Austin in P-40L 42-10664 (#44), Flgoff Smallreed in P-40L 42-10438, 1Lt Burns in P-40L 42-10432, 1Lt Collins in P-40F 41-19966 and Capt Howe in P-40F 41-20005 (Source: C Shores: A History of the Mediterranean Air War)

Basic rule of thumb is try and get a photo of your topic, as many as possible to try and work out which type it was. I believe the piece you are talking about below the cockpit is shown within this photos attached, if correct please note the datablock below.

48603300257_057df3f140_k.jpg3484361016_e8a7a16223_o by Buz 1970, on Flickr

48603300137_bdc070935f_k.jpg3481430595_820ec7d866_o by Buz 1970, on Flickr

The 325FG aircraft that have been identified as P-40F models have all been block F-15 and F-20..................now taking cover from in coming.....😀

Regards

Buz

Edited by Buz

Brian

I'm not sure if this helps you, I have #40 Trixie as a P-40F-15CU serial 41-19893, later used by the 316FS/324FG as "Anne"

Regards

Buz

Edited by Buz

Very appropriate photos, Buz.  In fact I was sort of aware of this in that I failed to complete the paragraph I included.  It states the following:  "However, it appears that this later windscreen with the ventilation panel was sometimes used as replacements on the earlier versions."  My bad!

Also, as I recall, the 325th didn't turn all of their P-40F's over to the 33rd FG but were able to keep some of them.  Poor explaining on my part.  Thanks for your correction and comments.

Edited by Brian J
spelling mistake
  • Like 1

Wow!  I was typing my last comment when you posted your latest comment.  Very interesting comment on your part as well.  I'm not sure what to believe now.  Not your comment, but the contradictory information found in Volume 43 in the Osprey Aircraft of the Aces series:  P-40 Warhawk Aces of the MTO by Carl Molesworth. 

On page 58 there is colour profile of 'White 40' with the caption 'P-40L-5 42-10664 'White 40' of Capt. Joseph D Bloomer, Co of the 318 FS/325 FG, Mateur , Tunisia, September 1943.

On page 66 of the same book is a b&w photo of 'White 40' with the caption "...while flying P-40F-15 (41-19893) 'White 40', nicknamed Trixie, over Pantelleria."

This is an example of what I commented on in my opening post concerning contradictory information.  What is a modeler to believe?  May I ask your source of information as it may be more accurate then what I am basing my conclusions on.  Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

Oh, boy, the story get more muddled.  I just went through my references again and found a photo on page 18 of the Squadron/Signal Publication Checkertails by Ernest R. McDowell.  The caption reads:  "Captain Joe Bloomer looks at the damage to TRIXIE after a rough mission..."  The pilot is sitting on the port wing near the windscreen which does not have that later modification.  However, it is in the two tone camouflage paint scheme while other photos show TRIXIE in OD/Neutral Grey.

Edited by Brian J

Hi Brian

My info has come from research over the last far to many years (has it been 25 years already???...yikes no wonder the other half thinks P-40's are my other girlfriend).......I believe the identifications came from talks with Carl, Dwayne Talbot (325FG vet), Chris Shores works and the Sqn records. I would need to go back through my emails and notes to find exactly when this one was identified (or I could just be lazy and send someone an email if you really need it - but may take a day or two to get a reply).

regards

Buz

• Like 1

Brian, I think that the information isn't necessarily contradictory, just not fully explained.  Keep in mind that, like any operational group, aircraft losses were high due to combat, accidents, etc., and replacement aircraft came in from various sources.  So for example on Trixie, Bloomer might have gone through two (or more) P-40Fs and/or Ls during his tour.  I would assume (and I know what's said about people who assume!) that, if possible, he would retain the same plane number on each P-40 and also the cowling with the artwork.

I've come up against the same dilemma in modeling other P-40s.  If you look at the photos of "Sawtooth Apache" on page 14 in the same Squadron/Signal book, you'll see that it appears we are dealing with two different P-40s based on at least that windscreen...and I can almost guarantee that one of those never flew again!  I ended up modeling the one in which you see the nose art, which had the windscreen and was hopefully also coded 17.  If you have Jeff Ethell's book, "P-40 Warhawk in World War II Color" you'll see very nice photographs of 'Jazz' Jaslow's P-40 "Sweet Bets" of the 79th FG.  Look closely at the cockpit details and you'll think you are looking at two different P-40s.  In addition, you can just barely make out the serial number under the cockpit in one of those photos, and at least to me it doesn't seem to match the number seen on the rudder in another photo.

As Buz said, and what I do, is just go with the best photographs you can find of your subject.  Some artistic license might be required but that's almost always the case.  Speaking of 79th FG P-40s, I've been trying for years with no success to put together information to build at least one 85th FS P-40F/L with completely correct markings. Trying to match the names on the nose with the plane number with the Vargas-style rudder art has so far eluded me.  I've pretty much decided to go with the one that I have the most information on, even though I know it has some, unknown to me, name on its nose.

By the way, the 325th passed many if not most of its P-40s to the 324th FG when the former transitioned to the P-47.

Cheers,

Mark

I was drawn to look through my references again (I really need to get a life, the lawn needs cutting, the windows need washing...) this afternoon and on page 16 of the Squadron/Signal Publications Checkertails by Ernest R. McDowll I found a b&w photo of 'White 61' with the caption reading, "Captain Joeseph (sic) A. Bloomer also named this P-40, side number 61, TRIXIE.  Bloomer was the commander of the 318th Fighter Squadron."

One can make out the first three digits of the black serial number on the tail as '210'.  As indicated in my earlier post, the profile caption from P-40 Warhawk Aces of the MTO, "P-40L 42-10664 'White 40' of Capt Joseph D Bloomer..."  The first three digits in this caption of 'White 40' matches the digits of 'White 61'.  These references suggest, as Mark indicated, that Bloomer flew several P-40s named TRIXIE.  I'm not sure what this proves.  I feel that an enlarged photo of the one found at the bottom left on page 12 of Checkertails would solve the problem as it shows a 3/4 front starboard view of TRIXIE.  One can make out the wing armament, but not clearly enough to verify if it has the four or six gun armament.  But then, did some 325th 'F' models  have the outboard guns removed as some pilots did?  That's it...I'm going to go and cut the lawn!

Edited by Brian J

52 minutes ago, Brian J said:

But then, did some 325th 'F' models  have the outboard guns removed as some pilots did?  That's it...I'm going to go and cut the lawn!

Col. Robert Baseler had the outboard guns removed on his P-40F-20 41-20006, named 'Stud,' according the Carl Molesworth's book.  There are likely others but that's at least confirmation.

It's blisteringly hot in my neck of the woods so I did the lawn work this morning.

Cheers,

Mark

I guess what this all boils down to, for modeling purposes, did 'White 40/TRIXIE' have a four gun armament and that port windscreen frame for the ventilation window.  At some level it isn't conclusive proof what the serial number was if many 325th 'F' versions were modified in the field to 'L'  versions. 

I was looking at the starboard  view of this aircraft AGAIN and noticed that one can make out that diagonal windscreen frame even though the photo is taken from the starboard side.  That's proof enough for me.  Now did 'White 40/TRIXIE' have the outboard gun removed from each wing?  It appears many 325th FG birds did.  Would all three squadrons want to bring all of their aircraft up to one standard i.e. make them all operate like the later 'L' version.   I hope Buz can add his perspective on my take.  Anyone else want to jump in?

Brian, if we assume (here I go assuming again) that the four photographs of page 12 in McDowell's 'Checkertail' book are all the same aircraft, then it looks like it was six wing guns.  It appears that the photos were taken at roughly the same place, based on the landscape, but there are some minor details, such as what if any ordinance is under the fuselage and the presence or lack of a cover on the radiator opening, all of which are simple changes, that I wouldn't bet much money on it. 

Then you have not only the photo of #61 on page 16 of the same book, which appears to be a P-40L based on the partial serial number seen on the tail, regardless of what the last digits are, but the one on page 18 in which the caption indicates its also Trixie, although no identifying markings can be seen.  As you noted, it has no small window on the windscreen. Personally, I wouldn't use this photograph as a reference since we can't be positive that it's any Trixie.

I'm confident Buz will have better input, but in the meantime I can email Carl Molesworth and hopefully get some clarification from him.  I plan on also modeling Trixie someday so need to know the information as well!

Cheers,

Mark

Many thanks, Mark, for taking the time to add to the subject.  I love how you preface your comments with "assume".  Your are so right.  I guess all we can do is eliminate as many conclusions as we can.  As to those photos on page 16 in Checkertails, I'd like to add my observations.  First off, I'd have to assume (damn, that word 'assume' again) those two photos showing 'White 40' with that "makeshift fire bomb" were taken at the same time.  Secondly, if you look closely at the paint chipping/weathering on the starboard leading edge wing root you can see the same pattern of wear.  For me, this shows those three photos are of the same airframe taken at approximately the same time.  

As to the photo at the bottom left, it too appears to have the same paint chipping/weathering that the other three photos show.  It's the armament of this airframe that has me scratching my head.  At first glance it appears that it has the six gun armament of an 'F' version.  But it is kind of hard to REALLY be sure in that if you compare it to the close-up photo at the top of page 17 which shows some sort of light coloured domed plug in the outer gun port.  Is a similar plug used on 'White 40/TRIXIE'?  Hard to tell for sure in a small photo.  Other photos of 325th FG P-40s show various gun modifications e.g. bottom left photo on page 16, top left photo on page 14.  The often reproduced photo of Lt Col Baseler's 'Mortimer Snerd/Stud' show the outer gun port completely covered,  but I believe this aircraft was a 'L' version. 

Whoops...my mistake.  Photo caption on page 11 of Aces of the 325th Fighter Group (Osprey #117) indicate Baseler's P-40 was an 'F' version.  However, this shows that there were several ways that an 'F' version could have the outer gun ports modified.

Thanks again, Mark, for your input as it has made me exam this series of photos again, and again, and again...

Brian    

Edited by Brian J

Brian, Carl Molesworth got back to me and he's traveling, so is unable to let me know if he can even clarify things once he returns and checks his resources.

In the meantime I looked again at all the photos. I'm 99% sure that the photograph of Trixie in Carl's book is the same P-40 on the top of page 12 in the "Checkertails" book; in fact, the same plane in all the photos on page 12. The only difference I see are the 'napalm' tank and the standard drop tank, plus the change in shadows. I could most bet they started with photos of the drop tank on, then off, then later in the day (hence the change in shadows) with the 'napalm' tank finally installed.

Photos can be deceiving, but it appears this P-40F had the dark earth and middle stone over azure blue camouflage, the small window on the windscreen, and all six wing guns.  Unless something new comes to light, when I model "Trixie" this is what I'm going with. The main thing missing is what the port side of this airplane looked like.  If you look closely at #61, it appears the nose art is the full 'green dragon' emblem of the 318th FS, similar to what's shown on page 10 in the same book.  Did Trixie #40 have this too? Again, artistic license and assumptions come into play!

Cheers,

Mark

Referring to the photo evidence we have at hand, Mark, your conclusions are very reasonable and make sense.  If you don't mind, I'd like to beat this dead horse into the ground!  Referring back to my original whining about contradictory information, the colour profile on page 58 of Carl's book captions the artwork as "P-40L-5 42-10664", while the photo you referred to on page 66 has the caption which calls 'White 40' as "P-40F-15 (41-19893".  Can we blame the editor?  Who cross references this stuff?  

You raised an interesting observation concerning the camouflage scheme.  I have often wondered why TRIXIE was in an OD/NG scheme while most or all of the other aircraft were in the Dark Earth/Middle Stone scheme.  I find the OD/NG scheme more appealing but for me our photo references make it difficult to judge as the aircraft finish was very faded and worn and there is no distinct sharp edging between the two colours. 

That photo of 'White 61' on page 16 appears to lack a yellow surround on the fuselage star.  Was that photo taken at a later date when the nose art was changed?  Good catch!  On the topic of insignia, the photo at the bottom left on page 12 of Checkertails shows a 'star and bar' without the blue edging on the bar.  I take it the upper port wing insignia would be the same.  Any comments?  The horse may not be dead but it's barely breathing!  Wanna give it another kick?

Brian  

Hi Brian,

We are starting to go, if not yet already gone, beyond my knowledge here, but I'll give it a go!  At the very least it appears that by the serial numbers provided we are dealing with three P-40s named "Trixie."  First we have the two #40s, which based on the information provided in Carl's book are the P-40F-15 shown in the photograph (possibly taken in June '43, when the caption indicates Bloomer got this second victory?) and the P-40L-5 shown in the profile, which indicates a date of September '43.  Then we have one #61, which based on the serial number that Buz provided would be a P-40L-1.  And since #61 in the photograph has no checkertails, and Carl indicates these were applied starting in June '43, was this the first "Trixie?" Remember also that, as Buz mentioned earlier and is detailed in Carl's book, the P-40F-15 went to the 324th FG and was renamed "Anne." There is a photo of "Anne" in Carl's book as well. 

I personally don't know why some P-40Fs and Ls were camouflaged whilst others the basic OD/NG, or if there is any way to determine by serial number or such.  Perhaps Buz can enlighten us.  Also, as I've looked into the 79th FG P-40s it's come to my understanding that the yellow surround came and went in a couple of phases, so is not necessarily something to nail down a date.  Noted aviation historian and color expert Dana Bell is the one best suited to answer this, along with the particularities of the national insignia.  And to how and why the profile of #40 in Carl's book came about, I obviously don't know but perhaps when he gets back to me he might be able to provide some additional information. 

I'm not sure if any of this makes sense, but it's getting really confusing!

Cheers,

Mark

Mark/Brian

I’ll check through what I have here and try to find some answer (sorry being late switch answer but had a shocking outbreak of work......need to rest now)

Buz

Gents I'll try and address some of your questions and thoughts in the next couple of posts

Post #12 – Brian

Did 'White 40/TRIXIE' have the outboard gun removed from each wing?  It appears many 325th FG birds did.  – I have some pictures of Trixie as TIFF images of the aircraft, one angle you can’t see, the other seems to hold 3 guns in the wing

Would all three squadrons want to bring all of their aircraft up to one standard i.e. make them all operate like the later 'L' version. – No this was personal Pilots choice. Some liked the full weight of fire from the 6 guns, others liked the lighter handling of 4 guns, although some were modified to allow for the increased Ammunition of the 6 guns (however also lead to feed issues). This is a general statement not just for the 325FG, as there are example of P-40E’s having 2 guns removed, and in some cases reverse mods, with L models and N-1 models having additional guns added.

Post #13 – Brian

page 17 which shows some sort of light coloured domed plug in the outer gun port.  Is a similar plug used on 'White 40/TRIXIE'?  Can’t see a dome on Trixie – to me she has a six gun arrangement Hard to tell for sure in a small photo.  Other photos of 325th FG P-40s show various gun modifications e.g. bottom left photo on page 16, top left photo on page 14.  The often reproduced photo of Lt Col Baseler's 'Mortimer Snerd/Stud' show the outer gun port completely covered,  but I believe this aircraft was a 'L' version. – Mortimor Snerd/Stud serial 41-20006

Post #14 – Mark

Photos can be deceiving, but it appears this P-40F had the dark earth and middle stone over azure blue camouflage, the small window on the windscreen, and all six wing guns.  Agreed Unless something new comes to light, when I model "Trixie" this is what I'm going with. The main thing missing is what the port side of this airplane looked like.  If you look closely at #61, it appears the nose art is the full 'green dragon' emblem of the 318th FS, similar to what's shown on page 10 in the same book.  Did Trixie #40 have this too? Again, artistic license and assumptions come into play! – Port side of Trixie shows she at least had the Trixie character on the nose so would I suggest that the dragon was also present (can’t 100% tell on the photo).

Will flog the horse just a little more in the next post

Buz

Edited by Buz

Think the horse will be ready for a break after this, it's starting to look and feel about as dead as I do in the mornings

Post #15 – Brian

That photo of 'White 61' on page 16 appears to lack a yellow surround on the fuselage star.  Was that photo taken at a later date when the nose art was changed?  Good catch!  On the topic of insignia, the photo at the bottom left on page 12 of Checkertails shows a 'star and bar' without the blue edging on the bar.  I take it the upper port wing insignia would be the same.  Any comments?  The horse may not be dead but it's barely breathing!  Wanna give it another kick?

Trixie #61 I question if she’s OD/NG as somewhere along the lines a filter has been used on the photo. Why I say this is the Yellow around the blue has virtually merged with the blue, and the Medium Green 42 scallops on the tail fin and rudder are not visible. Check out the Picture attached of one that’s certainly OD/NG (front of the photo on the carrier you can make the tail out)

48640805768_c39048e9da_k.jpgP-40L-TH-002 by Buz 1970, on Flickr

48641230332_9d75a0d0e2_b.jpgp-40s_aboard_uss_ranger by Buz 1970, on Flickr

Post #16 – Mark

At the very least it appears that by the serial numbers provided we are dealing with three P-40s named "Trixie."  First we have the two #40s, which based on the information provided in Carl's book are the P-40F-15 shown in the photograph (possibly taken in June '43, when the caption indicates Bloomer got this second victory?) and the P-40L-5 shown in the profile, which indicates a date of September '43.  Then we have one #61, which based on the serial number that Buz provided would be a P-40L-1.  And since #61 in the photograph has no checkertails, and Carl indicates these were applied starting in June '43, was this the first "Trixie?" Remember also that, as Buz mentioned earlier and is detailed in Carl's book, the P-40F-15 went to the 324th FG and was renamed "Anne." There is a photo of "Anne" in Carl's book as well. The F models went to North Africa late Jan 43, the L’s not until early March 43……..however operations weren’t flown til April. I cant tell you when the Pilot joined the Unit, or when he was CO of the Sqdn (I don’t track pilots all that much so cant say which would be first)

I personally don't know why some P-40Fs and Ls were camouflaged whilst others the basic OD/NG, or if there is any way to determine by serial number or such.  Perhaps Buz can enlighten us.  – Why the aircraft were camouflage the way they were? Well depends on where they were slated to go. The Late F models (most) were finished in Two tone desert Camouflage, with those slated to be used in the Pacific and at home in OD/NG (similar rule of thumb was applied for the L models). Curtiss were told how many to finish in each of the schemes, and whilst the whole answer isn’t available (I don’t have access to the Contracts or contract amendments) the Factory Billing does give some indication as the last entry on each aircraft is where it was intended to go (whether it did or did not is something else entirely).

A quick look at a few sample aircraft give the following (note I’m only working on later model F aircraft and L’s, the story behind the early model F’s doesn’t help us here, and only working from photos not written text, so serials cannot be questionable.

41-14270 (Middle East #unknown 33FG “Belchin Bessie/no Cajun”– original scheme desert) – Slated in factory records for “Heath”

41-19835 (Pacific #257 “Betty Anne” 68FS – original scheme OD/NG) Slated in factory records for “Poppy”

41-19825 (Pacific #102 “Miss Alma” 44FS – original scheme OD/NG) Slated in factory records for “Poppy”

41-14378 (Middle East n #unknown. “Dammit” 33FG – original scheme desert) – Slated in factory records for “Heath” via Philadelphia

41-19821 (Pacific #208 68FS – original scheme OD/NG) - Slated in factory records for Stockton California.

41-20010 (Middle East #10 “Sweet Stuff” 64FS – original scheme desert) - Slated in factory records for “Ache” via Newark

41-19927 (Middle East #unknown 325FG – original scheme desert) - Slated in factory records for “Ache” via Newark

41-20005 (Middle East #unknown 325FG – original scheme desert) - Slated in factory records for “Ache” via Newark

42-10644 (Middle East No # Unknown Unit – original scheme desert) - Slated in factory records for “Blot” via Newark

42-10453 (Middle East #32 64FS/47FG – original scheme desert) - Slated in factory records for “Ache” via Newark

42-10578 (Middle East #unknown 33FG – original scheme OD/NG) - ) - Slated in factory records for Langley Field (for US Home base - however sent to MTO on CVE-28)

Poppy - New Caledonia

Heath - Cairo, Egypt

Ache/Blot  – Unknown (but aircraft were used in MTO)

Buz

Edited by Buz

5 hours ago, Buz said:

Post #14 – Mark

Photos can be deceiving, but it appears this P-40F had the dark earth and middle stone over azure blue camouflage, the small window on the windscreen, and all six wing guns.  Agreed Unless something new comes to light, when I model "Trixie" this is what I'm going with. The main thing missing is what the port side of this airplane looked like.  If you look closely at #61, it appears the nose art is the full 'green dragon' emblem of the 318th FS, similar to what's shown on page 10 in the same book.  Did Trixie #40 have this too? Again, artistic license and assumptions come into play! – Port side of Trixie shows she at least had the Trixie character on the nose so would I suggest that the dragon was also present (can’t 100% tell on the photo).

Will flog the horse just a little more in the next post

Buz

Thanks for the input, Buz, especially regarding the information about the destination of the different P-40s. Regarding the port side of Trixie, I'm not finding a photo for #40, just the one for #61.  Is there one out there that you're referring to?  All the ones I'm finding show the starboard side. 

Wow!  I'm being reminded how little I know about this topic.  Many thanks to Mark and Buz for taking the time to respond to a topic that most of us know little about.  The original purpose for starting this whole discussion was that I wanted to build a model of a 325th FG P-40.  If I may, I'd like one of these gentlemen (or any one else for that matter) to verify my questions/conclusions.

1.  My model will have the ventilation windscreen window and a six gun armament.

2.  My model will have the two colour upper surface colour scheme.

3,  I've always wanted to do #40 TRIXIE in a OD/NG camouflage scheme (just like in the colour profile artwork).  In other words could a P-40F be in OD/NG or were all #40 TRIXIEs in two tone upper camouflage     colours?  

I've already taken out my Hasegawa P-40N and am thinking about working on that until I feel confident about the above comments.  Until then I'm going to go in the corner and bang my head against the wall!  Thanks again gentlemen for your input!

23 hours ago, Brian J said:

1.  My model will have the ventilation windscreen window and a six gun armament.

2.  My model will have the two colour upper surface colour scheme.

3,  I've always wanted to do #40 TRIXIE in a OD/NG camouflage scheme (just like in the colour profile artwork).  In other words could a P-40F be in OD/NG or were all #40 TRIXIEs in two tone upper camouflage     colours?  

For what it's worth, here's my take on your questions:

1. Yes to the ventilation windscreen window.  I'm not as confident it had the six guns now, though, based on looking more closely at the photographs. 

2. Yes to the two color upper surface scheme.

3. From the information Buz recently posted, it appears most but all OD/NG P-40Fs (later ones) and P-40Ls were slated for the Pacific or at home. So it's possible that a Trixie #40 could be OD/NG, although I myself don't have photographic documentation of one.  All I'm aware of is the profile in Carl Molesworth's book that shows it.  Perhaps he might be able to clarify things if and when he gets back to me.

Cheers,

Mark

I think we're on the same page relative to your latest comments, Mark.  I'm going to hold off hoping Carl Molesworth can add his take.  Let me know what you find out.  Buz has been a BIG help already.  Having two big hitters adding their take should answer our questions.  Thanks again for your comments.   

Regards,

Brian

I found the following paragraph on plane naming in the Checkertail Clan book of great interest:

"On the subject of naming airplanes in the 325th, there was a sort of unwritten law that the airplane belonged to the crew chief, and many of these men were responsible for the names applied to the noses of their planes.  Jack Evans painted "My Gal Sal" on his number 13 while Jerry Strauss called his "Ski Snoot", both honoring their wives.  It was the policy to allow aces, flight leaders, squadron commanders and the Group Commander to keep the same aircraft, and naturally these men named their own planes, if they so desired."

". . . One crew chief who kept an accurate written record of the pilots who flew his P-40 felt that it was typical of most group planes.  His listing included Lt, Anthony, Bollich, Carswell, Chesney, Elliott, Grove, Hamilton and Jones, as well as Capt. Meyers and F/O Rauth and Smith." p.35

Steve