Late starter: The F-102 Delta Dagger "Deuce"

Retired Bob

Having found a box that has been undisturbed since I moved here over 20 years ago, I have two aircraft that are not featured in this amazing FROG GB, with only a month to go until the chequered flag drops I will do my best to get at least one of them into the gallery.

IMG_0941

By popular request,(Dave) my focus will be on the Deuce.

• Like 11

Thanks Bob, they are both lovely boxes and would have been hard to resist if displayed at one’s local hobby shop. You are right, this is one bumper GB and it staggers me that it just keeps on growing! You will have many admirers and on-lookers (aka 21st century trolls) watching on! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

You will have many admirers and on-lookers (aka 21st century trolls) watching on! 

I can't help it - if people keep on posting pics of those wonderful box tops I am doomed to follow. 😀

I reckon the marketing people in those days knew a thing or two..

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As I recall the only problem with the Dagger is that the missile bay doors are a lousy fit if modelled closed - managed to get closed door sets for both 102 and 106 from John ex Aeroclub before he stopped posting a couple of years ago. In fact that was why I joined BM in the first place. Needless to say have not used them yet! Both the 101 and the 102 build up into nice looking planes.

Good luck

Pete

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks Bob, they are both lovely boxes and would have been hard to resist if displayed at one’s local hobby shop.

I agree, but in the window they would have stayed, these were priced at 10/6 pre-decimal currency, way out of my league.  For that kind of money you could get an Airfix Lancaster with the wonderful Roy Cross artwork and  a tube of glue.  I'm not sure when these got into my stash, the price sticker on the Deuce says 65 pence, so after decimalisation in 1971, probably 1973/1974 when for some reason model shops were closing down and I started to collect.  Cannot blame the internet for that! 

29 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

I can't help it - if people keep on posting pics of those wonderful box tops I am doomed to follow. 😀

They certainly were an inducement, and every newsagent always had kits in the windows to attract the faithful.  Just a pity there was no such thing as disposable income back then.

25 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

They are cracking boxes and the dramatic artwork looks great.

My  modelling started with Airfix, mainly because of price and availability, and of course the wonderful Roy Cross box artwork.  I fell for the Airfix Sunderland, duelling with a FW 200 Condor over a convoy, that was a princely 12/6 as I recall.  Not sure how old I was when I had that amount for a birthday and went straight to the newsagent to buy it, Mom & Dad were not amused. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, PeterB said:

As I recall the only problem with the Dagger is that the missile bay doors are a lousy fit if modelled closed - managed to get closed door sets for both 102 and 106 from John ex Aeroclub before he stopped posting a couple of years ago. In fact that was why I joined BM in the first place. Needless to say have not used them yet! Both the 101 and the 102 build up into nice looking planes.

Hi Peter, I know the problem with the Deuce, lousy fit is a polite term.  When I "tried"  to build one in the 70s I thought I could get round the problem by filling the missile bay with filler, not the kind that dissolved plastic, I had learned the lesson about that on an earlier build.  I used wall filler and it sort  of worked, except that the thing was so heavy it broke the undercarriage.  I have a better plan this time. :wicked:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hi Bob,

May be wrong but I think I paid 10/- for the Sunderland and the later Stirling - the B29 was 12/6. Of course they could have gone up when you bought them! At that time the Wellington was 6/- and the Lancaster and Halifax 7/6 - showing my age again.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hey .. Hey have a heart for the sad yank in the crowd. Whats all this 12/6 and 10/0 talk I'm not used to proper english, i need subtitle's and explanations. 😉 

Dennis

Wait until they start talking about ten bob notes and half a crown....😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I got the impression SAU was thinking of doing a 101 as he had the fuselage in the box with his 2 Wildcats and a Blenheim, but he seems to be out of the loop at the moment.

To start this build I had better start with a photo of all the parts, the majority are for hanging the missiles in the missile bay 6 x poorly represented Falcon missiles and the 6 x trapeze assembly the lowers them out of the bay for launch.  The fit of the wings and fuselage is not bad, the fun begins with that missile bay.

IMG_0949

• Like 7

Well, the plastic looks very nice, no flash that I can see. Lots of bits and bobs though, looks a bit technical!

Cheers (and best of luck with the build ^_^)

• Thanks 1

I mentioned on the FROG chat thread that the kit has a case X wing.  The development of the F-102 was drawn out because it was on the cutting edge of available technology, there has been much written of the inherent drag problems that stopped it going supersonic until the area rule solution changed the shape of the fuselage to the "coke bottle" pinched waist shape that allowed the aircraft finally go past mach 1.  Directional stability problems led to a larger vertical tail, and the inlets were altered with splitter plates being add.  The wing had a downward camber at the leading edge but the tips were swept upwards , this was called the case X (case ten) wing, and was a feature of airframes from serial 53-1790 to 56-1316.

IMG_0946

In 1956 a redesign of the wing changed the tip from upturned to continuing the downward camber along the full length of the leading edge, also hard points for underwing fuel tanks were added to increase the range, this was called the case XX  (case 20) wing, it allowed the aircraft to fly higher and faster.

IMG_0948

So a case X wing has upturned wing tips and no fuel tanks.  The original wings were never updated so any airframe from 56-1317 is a case XX and usually has the wing tanks on.

• Like 5

Thanks Bob, the ‘Case Wing ‘ was my query and your explanation and excellent images go along way to expanding my little known knowledge on this aircraft.

That’s my learning for the day.. no more room for anymore I’m afraid, however I’m still trying to calculate the innings total of 67 by ten English batsman... that’s not a very high average per ‘average batsman’ is it? 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Well, the plastic looks very nice, no flash that I can see. Lots of bits and bobs though, looks a bit technical!

There is no flash to remove and it clips together, with the lower wing holding the fuselage together really tightly, usual 60s kit problems of no cockpit or undercarriage bay detail, the cockpit consists of a floor with side consoles and a very basic seat.  All the bits for the missile trapeze, the missiles and  u/w tanks are going straight in the bin.  All part of my cunning plan. :wicked:

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks Bob, the ‘Case Wing ‘ was my query and your explanation and excellent images go along way to expanding my little known knowledge on this aircraft.

Thanks to the help of the Meng F102s, they make seperate kits of both the case X and case XX.  I am also pinching some spare parts from them to improve this old kit.  So now we know it's a case X wing that narrows the choice of markings, apart from the kit decals I have two in the stash that are correct, A California ANG example and a red and black checked/striped aircraft from the 4th FIS, Misawa, Japan, 1962.  What do you think?

IMG_0950

The kit decals are wrong, like most kit decals they print the USAF logo and codes in black when they should be Dark Blue.  I know quite a bit about F-102s but not much about games with balls.  :whistle:

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Jinxman said:

Misawa option for my money! 😀

It's nice and colourful, Fundekals have brought out a more accurate set, but I'm not sure if it's made for the Meng kit.  Some of the California ANG F-102s were painted silver, so that might be a different model to make. :hmmm: Progress today was limited as I had other things to do.  I have cleaned up and painted the undercarriage bays, cleaned up the cockpit and made an instrument panel, tomorrow I plan to glue the fuselage and wings all together and and start assembling the missile bay. :penguin::penguin:

• Like 4