Battle of Britain Blitz Build Bf109

Valkyrie

As is my tradition for the 3rd blitz build I shall be doing a 1/72 109. This time as its during the Battle of Britain time of year, a 109 from the time. It’s the old raised bolt detail Airfix kit. Playing football on Saturday so it could be a night shift build or a doubler over Sunday night into Monday. Hoping to feature a hog roast during proceedings too...

48601387367_40c868e69d_b.jpg

Ok the one above needs canopy work which rules her out of a blitz build. She will go into the BoB 2020 GB order. Replaced for the blitz build by a fresh new tool, still BoB era 109.

48610947756_4baf6f9438_b.jpg

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Is that the one with the too-small canopy?

Good luck,

Adrian

Oh no I hope not. It poses closed only looking at it. Am I allowed to open too check the fit? I don’t want to run any difficulties in the time frame.

Just went up and yes it’s short at the back by a mm or two. Thanks for the heads up. Mmmmm do I do a classic switchero with same decals for this version or a different 109 or a different subject completely. I have an Eduard 1/72 190, but not sure an Eduard is a good idea for a blitz build, couple of airfix spits or a hurricane, ideal, or I’ve recently done my first 1/48 with 109s and 190s coming out my ears. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

Oh no I hope not. It poses closed only looking at it. Am I allowed to open too check the fit? I don’t want to run any difficulties in the time frame.

Just went up and yes it’s short at the back by a mm or two. Thanks for the heads up. Mmmmm do I do a classic switchero with same decals for this version or a different 109 or a different subject completely. I have an Eduard 1/72 190, but not sure an Eduard is a good idea for a blitz build, couple of airfix spits or a hurricane, ideal, or I’ve recently done my first 1/48 with 109s and 190s coming out my ears. 

I think the rules say you are allowed to de-sprue - so checking should be ok.  Given its a blitzbuild pack out the gap with something?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jinxman said:

I think the rules say you are allowed to de-sprue - so checking should be ok.  Given its a blitzbuild pack out the gap with something?

You could always build a Hurricane around it to hide the gap :D or do the RAFWaffe one without the canopy.

• Haha 1

Quick update. Fastest progress I’ve ever had. Broke a few bits, the canopy was awful which isn’t the norm for these kits but hopefully a neat paint job will cover. Trying a paint then assemble number

48623193722_b28db8ef5f_b.jpg

• Like 2

I always manage to snap those little balancer weight thingies on the underside of the wings - I've taken to 'coating' them with a blob of superglue - to toughen em up.

• Thanks 1

Top tip, I will now adopt this, also lost the radio mast, usually do snap them every time 

Thanks X

That’s an ex btw, not a kiss lol 

• Haha 3

On the home stretch with most of the painting done. Just the fuselage RLM 65 to do, paint small parts and if time get some panel line action. Edit. Just realised my watch has stopped 🧐..it’s 5 to 1.

48623471206_b3bc86925e_b.jpg

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 3

And over the line....probably 9 hours all in which I’m impressed by. A few bits I snapped and the canopy was really brittle but a lovely little starter kit. I used Tamiya rattle cans from the Luftwaffe range and used the lighter green, but perhaps a bit bright. My RLM 02 was Tamiya AS 29 which I think really works. 

48624644456_f4a3062466_b.jpg

• Like 5