Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

LostCosmonauts

Convair XP-92 rocket interceptor concept design

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Please be kind. I’m firmly at the foot of this particular learning curve so am aware there is a lot could be improved. Sharing just in case folks might be interested rather than for critique

 

I’ve been experimenting with laser cutting, 3D printing and digital design so decided to apply a bit of that to model making (in progress thread here 

 

Sharing the most recent output. Convair XP-92 in 1/72 scale. Parts modelled in Fusion 360, printed on a Creality Ender 3 in grey PLA. Assembled with isocyanate and painted with acrylics.

 

Drawings thanks to @Space Ranger and decals kindly donated by @Pat C. Thank you both

 

48600578046_303305270d_b.jpg

 

48600578051_2328d538f8_b.jpg

 

48600714332_1d41912998_b.jpg

 

48600578041_79b4ae70f2_b.jpg

 

Edited by LostCosmonauts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have traversed the foothills of 3D printing and design, and I think you've made really impressive progress. Good result! More power to your imagination.

 

I'm tempted to suggest you have a go with ABS: downside is shrinkage, upside is acetone smoothing and generally being able to use solvents which work with polystyrene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Please be kind. I’m firmly at the foot of this particular learning curve so am aware there is a lot could be improved. Sharing just in case folks might be interested rather than for critique

 

I’ve been experimenting with laser cutting, 3D printing and digital design so decided to apply a bit of that to model making (in progress thread here 

 

Sharing the most recent output. Convair XP-92 in 1/72 scale. Parts modelled in Fusion 360, printed on a Creality Ender 3 in grey PLA. Assembled with isocyanate and painted with acrylics.

 

Drawings thanks to @Space Ranger and decals kindly donated by @Pat C. Thank you both

 

48600578046_303305270d_b.jpg

 

48600578051_2328d538f8_b.jpg

 

48600714332_1d41912998_b.jpg

 

48600578041_79b4ae70f2_b.jpg

 

It looks great! Glad to have been of assistance. It's the best-looking 1/72 XP-92 around! Unicraft did one some years back, but it's no longer available and wasn't all that great to begin with, I understand.

Edited by Space Ranger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job and good to see the finished product! Strange looking beast - they changed the cockpit to something more conventional I think?

 

Pat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pat C said:

Nice job and good to see the finished product! Strange looking beast - they changed the cockpit to something more conventional I think?

 

Pat

It was completely redesigned to become the XP-92A.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, chrisbob12 said:

I'm tempted to suggest you have a go with ABS: downside is shrinkage, upside is acetone smoothing and generally being able to use solvents which work with polystyrene.

All true and good points. I like that the PLA is bio derived, compostable and low carbon footprint though. Makes me feel slightly better about the endless bits of scrap I make along the way.  Maybe do more experimenting with materials a bit down the line

 

8 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

It looks great! Glad to have been of assistance. It's the best -looking 1/72 XP-92 around! Unicraft did one some years back, but it's no longer available and wasn't all that great to begin with, I understand.

Much appreciated. The Unicraft one seems to miss out the rockets next to the wing root and really simplify the shape of the inner fuselage. I wonder if they only used one of those drawings you sent me as one of those is similarly simplified. Will open up the cockpit and wheel wells and hopefully have your one printed and off to you by end of next week.

 

8 hours ago, Pat C said:

Nice job and good to see the finished product! Strange looking beast - they changed the cockpit to something more conventional I think?

 

Pat

Thanks again. That is a thought... I might come back round to this eventually and try and do the revised XP-92A as I’ve already done the wings etc. for this one

 

*bonus picture since it is sunny this morning*

 

48605264032_9d9ccecb5e_b.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great picture! I've not seen the Unicraft kit, so my comment about it being not so great was based on hearsay and the one photo of it I found. Unicraft informed me that the mold was no longer usable.

 

By the way, how is the PLA to work, i.e., sand, file, prime, paint, etc.? And if it's compostable, that's a good thing, but I wonder how well it's going to stand up over time sitting on a shelf. Should it be kept out of direct sunlight? I really don't know much about it.

 

(I am eager to add an XP-92 to my delta wing collection, but there is no rush, as I am between cataract surgeries. The left eye was done two days ago, and the right eye will be done in two weeks. Had lasik surgery on the eye as well, and my vision in that ey has gone from 20/200+ (correctable with glasses) to 20/25 overnight and expected to get even better. But the combination of one good eye and one bad eye makes any close work like model building problematic.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

By the way, how is the PLA to work, i.e., sand, file, prime, paint, etc.? And if it's compostable, that's a good thing, but I wonder how well it's going to stand up over time sitting on a shelf. Should it be kept out of direct sunlight? I really don't know much about it.

 

(I am eager to add an XP-92 to my delta wing collection, but there is no rush, as I am between cataract surgeries. The left eye was done two days ago, and the right eye will be done in two weeks. Had lasik surgery on the eye as well, and my vision in that ey has gone from 20/200+ (correctable with glasses) to 20/25 overnight and expected to get even better. But the combination of one good eye and one bad eye makes any close work like model building problematic.)

It is pretty ok to work with. It is a bit harder than polystyrene (it softens about 80-100 degrees C higher) but sands fine. I just used my normal polyurethane primer, and acrylic filler and paints so didn't present an issue on the modelling front (other than needing filling of surfaces to get rid of the layers)

 

My background is polymer science with a few years as a specialist on biobased materials like PLA - it is easily as light stable as conventional polystyrene and should be fine on the shelf for years. It only degrades if it is very finely shredded or in an industrial composter. If you buried your model in the garden the leading and trailing edges would get scraggy and slowly disappear over a few months but in normal use and display it is fine.

 

Good news on the eye surgery, glad it went well and best of luck with the forthcoming one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good information, and thanks.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...