Roden Convair 340

Skodadriver

I originally posted this in the Rumourmonger section where there was a thread about the kit but it probably makes more sense to re-post here where more airliner fans are likely to see it.

I received my first Roden CV340 today. I don't claim any great expertise in Convair Twins but Roden seem to have given us the narrow rectangular engine exhaust outlets of the 440, not the twin round pipes of the 340. I know that many (most?) 340s were upgraded to 440 standards but unless I'm mistaken it's not possible to build an unmodified 340 from the kit as it comes. Scratch building replacement exhausts shouldn't be difficult but it's a bit of an annoyance.

Would anyone who knows more about the prototype than me care to comment?

Rumourmonger thread including sprue shots here.

Apart from the exhaust issue the kit looks lovely.

Here's a drawing that may help:

Diagram drawing

Mike Herrell is the creator of the Execuform line of vac-form kits and a former Convair employee.

Here's his 440 drawing, plus 340 nacelle, for comparison:

Kit Convair Twins guide pt7 (1-72, Execuform)

Kit Convair Twins guide pt5 (1-72, Execuform)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Many thanks Michael. That’s exactly what I was looking for and it confirms my suspicion that the Roden exhausts are wrong for the 340. A couple of pieces of plastic tube and a bit of drilling and filling will sort it although I think I’ll take advantage of Roden’s mistake and build a Swissair Metropolitan since I have the decals in my stash. 

@Space RangerThank you for posting Michael these as they are very helpfull for my Convair project in 1/72

I did ordered a few kits last year from Mike Herrill though hey isn’t in business anylonger..

He must be at age but he helped me getting some floats for a Dakota and also made a Grumman Mallard and postjager..

He is a fine man..

@Skodadriver i love to see what you make of it.....

cheers Jan 

9 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Many thanks Michael. That’s exactly what I was looking for and it confirms my suspicion that the Roden exhausts are wrong for the 340. A couple of pieces of plastic tube and a bit of drilling and filling will sort it although I think I’ll take advantage of Roden’s mistake and build a Swissair Metropolitan since I have the decals in my stash. 

Probably not wrong in that many 340s were converted to 440s, but certainly wrong in the sense that it's not the original 340 configuration we were all expecting. I'm betting that some enterprising producer of aftermarket parts will have a correction kit for us eventually.

And as long as we're on the subject of engines …

Kit Convair Twins guide pt4 (1-72, Execuform)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

Probably not wrong in that many 340s were converted to 440s, but certainly wrong in the sense that it's not the original 340 configuration we were all expecting. I'm betting that some enterprising producer of aftermarket parts will have a correction kit for us eventually

If the box says "340" and you can't make a 340 without resorting to scratch-building or after market parts it's wrong!

Never mind, it should make a lovely 440.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jordi said:

The 340s that were converted to the 440 configuration were will 340s, so technically it is not “wrong” - just misleading.  

That's what I tried to say in my earlier post, but you probably said it better.

Good question. I’m on holiday just now but if nobody else comes up with an answer I’ll have a look at my copy of the Airliner Tech book when I get home. The difference must be very slight. The exhausts have always been the easiest way to tell the 340 and 440 apart.