Blue/white T-38A Talon. 1/48 Wolfpack Design

Hi all,

The Northrop T-38 Talon has always been a favourite of mine since I glimpsed its sleek, white silhouette on an ITC Models box art back in the early 1960's.

Now sixty years on, Wolfpack Design has released what is generally considered as the definitive T-38A model kit.

It's the day of reckoning!

Here's my build with a few modelling notes that I hope you will find helpful and entertaining.

First the kit.

The Wolfpack Talons come in several boxings – standard USAF, NASA, ROC AF, ... I chose the limited edition Holloman AFB which has a few extra over the regular ones notably resin detailed seats, a metal pitot tube and a fret of photoetchings. The only aftermarket item I used is the resin FOD intake cover set from Def Model.

EDC182-B0-AE8-D-4-F5-E-A80-D-08-B246-C80

The subject.

It's a USAF training service T-38A in blue and white color scheme as it appeared briefly in 1986-1987.

To me it's the most striking livery ever sported by this already elegant jet. You can find some additional info about this particular colour scheme HERE and HERE.

B9-E40234-E3-CF-4-C54-9198-11-BAC0819-B3

Get ready,

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quangster
  • Like 6

I always start a new project by separating and doing a dry-fit of the main components. It helps me to understand how a particular kit 'works', reveal the hidden flaws and issues and therefore determines the way and the order in which the kit will be built. I don't always follow the steps described in the instruction sheet but I do thoroughly study the drawings to get familiar with the parts and where they must go.

8-AD3-CFF5-8-FA9-4-BF5-84-BB-D9854-A701-

EE794858-297-D-409-E-B130-7-C1-FD8-E4-CD

6-C212476-3569-4-E3-F-8-DC8-295-CEC2-B56

First impressions. The mouldings are excellent with finely inscribed panel lines and details. No obtrusive and ill-positioned ejection marks. Fit appears to be excellent excepting for the front lower fuselage panel which will require additional plasticard strips to ensure a strong sit.

61746857-64-DB-40-C0-A8-E1-98989-E1-F473

The cockpit tub sits on top of the front landing gear wells. The assembly is VERY precise and requires the utmost attention to fit in their proper position in the fuselage.

6-A6-DAF4-B-C324-4671-AB5-A-DDBA8-F3-DAF

In some building accounts, modellers warned about the front instrument panel sitting too high and therefore needing to be shortened. I found nothing of the sort but will keep an eye on it, just in case.

When the dry-fit is over, the parts are disassembled, given a small bath in lukewarm soaped water and dried out.

The real work can begin.

AS always your comments and questions are most welcome.

Cheers,

Quang

• Like 7

It looks like it'll be OK, but check the fit of the windscreen over the coaming.

You make me want to dust off my kit (1 of 2) that I took about as far as you have so far!

My favorite schemes are the Naval Test Pilot School and NASA

bob

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

It looks like it'll be OK, but check the fit of the windscreen over the coaming.

You make me want to dust off my kit (1 of 2) that I took about as far as you have so far!

My favorite schemes are the Naval Test Pilot School and NASA

bob

Dust it off, Bob. The more the merrier!

Back to the build. As usual, let's start with the cockpit.

The Holloman boxing comprises a fret of steel photo-etchings mostly devoted to the cockpit. Included are the tub sills and the canopies inside frames. Nice!

A176-DD8-D-73-DA-45-A2-A403-58-B4-DC1-BB

On the other hand, I would prefer moulded details à la Monogram on the side consoles as the metal etchings appear a bit flat and dead to me. Guess you can't have them all!

4-A17-E546-3-E38-47-E0-B031-EC52-EE69093

On the other hand, the instrument panels have raised moulded details à la Monogram. The brave souls can paint the details, the others will use the decals provided. I took the latter route and to my surprise, it worked very well with the usual decal softening solutions.

1-EEFCAC5-45-A5-4-D32-A8-D2-72-A3-DB213-

The resin seats with moulded straps are real gems and require careful painting to bring out the zillion details. The front seat has a canopy breaker in the shape of a 'shark fin'.

In quite a few builds, it's glued backwards. So a small caveat here.

1499-D076-9-D62-40-EB-B9-C1-FA2985-BD25-

The completed cockpit tub is further detailed as per the Willy Peeters T-38 book, an invaluable asset if you're serious about the Talon.

89-BEB85-C-A33-D-4072-A6-F0-B85384-C9539

Once this and the front wheel wells – not much to do apart from a coat of white paint –  finished, we'll be ready to close up the fuselage.

Until next time,

Cheers,

Quang

• Like 3

A very pretty airplane, if the word “pretty” is appropriate.  For some reason I always think “Starwars” when I see an image of one.

I like the NASA scheme.

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello Dennis,

There's nothing derogatory about the word "pretty".

In fact the Talon has a certain lady-like look. Is it because of the lily-white livery or the sleek, modern curves or both?

You like the NASA scheme? Wait until you see the blue and white with the red USAF lettering. 😜

Quang

• Like 1

The fuselage is closed up and the wing put on. The assembly is event-free therefore no pics.

The ailerons are cut out and refitted at a slightly drooped parked position.

Notice the excellent fit, especially between the fuselage and the wing. The assembly requires no putty if the parts are carefully trimmed during dry-fit.

E64039-C6-0-D7-F-4-BAE-A02-A-FDACE0300-B

The wing and tail navigation lights are drilled out and replaced with clear sprue. They will be tinted later on. A small but very effective operation.

166517-C0-05-A5-4277-84-C7-6-CCE8-F52-BF

E10-EE603-7-D2-E-4436-8541-906-AF90-A6-A

2-E78-E9-F8-10-C5-476-D-96-D0-53391-D8-B

Now that the tub is in position, we can finish detailing it especially the areas between the front and rear cockpits. There is a clear window between the two canopies which is missing in the kit and has to be built from scratch.

A piece of transparent tape is stuck to the partition and the contour of the glass window traced with pencil.

Contour.jpg

The tape is removed and stuck to a piece of clear acetate from a packaging blister. Trim the clear acetate around the pencil line and voilà!

A7-C30677-6775-4575-8787-03-BFF00-F8540.

The cockpit is further detailed with reworked throttles, Remove Before Flight streamers, piping, oxygen tubes, ... The Talon cockpit is extremely busy and a striking contrast with the clean and sleek exterior.

80716-D05-D1-FD-457-C-83-A3-1-A0431-F207

2-E7-A539-E-A4-EF-47-A4-AE37-00261-DCDAA

We'll leave out the canopy closing mechanism after the overall painting is finished, so that it wouldn't get in the way. The cockpit is masked and the whole model is given a coat of Mr Surfacer 1200.

58705006-B179-4-A4-C-A9-E7-BFECB56-A3172

That's it for now.

Until next time,

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quangster
  • Like 4

Excellent work, particularly the cockpit.  I have the old Monogram F-5f that I’ve done a little work on.  Not in the same class as yours but the shape looks okay.

(Just too many interesting things on this site.)

Dennis

• Like 1

This is gorgeous - lovely aircraft that has always just looked “right” to my eyes (like many classics), and you’re doing a great job on what looks a really nice kit.  I’ve never done a full WolfPack kit, but their detail parts (wing folds etc) are excellent.

Nice one.

• Like 1

From what I read, the T-38A is the first complete kit created and released by Wolfpack Design.

I didn't know much about the real-life Talon and discovered about its features as I was building the kit. I was astounded to see how the model is faithful to its full scale counterpart.

Thank you for looking.

Cheers,

Quang

• Like 1