1/48 - Mil Mi-24 "Hind" family by Kitty Hawk - in project

Homebee

I'm not sure how far KH are into their development programme for the Mil Mi-24 Hind family but it will need to be something special to surpass the new Zvedza kit, notwithstanding the minor issues with the lack of cockpit and rivet detail (both of which are now being addressed by AM companies). I have just received, and done a preview, on the Zvedza kit and it will be hard to beat, both in terms of accuracy, ease of assembly and value for money. Sure, the purists will want to further invest in the inevitable AM that will follow before they make a start but it's going to be great out of the box too.   

I don't need to be reminded (again) about that hoary old chestnut "But the XXX (Kit) by YYY (Company) doesn't make any money for (ZZZ) (Company No.2)". If I was KH I would now concentrate on what could be real money spinners like their planned release of a decent kit of the Mi-8/17 Hip family and Su-25 Frogfoot, to which they could add the Sukhoi Su-7/9 to name but three Cold-War Soviet/Russian subjects. They could even turn their attention to a SA.330 Puma or SA.341 Gazelle if they want to maintain their focus, growing reputation and smart investment in rotary wing subjects.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Simon V said:

Honestly, doesn't look like they have to go too far to beat the zvezda kit from what I've seen of it.

That may be true but this is Kittyhawk.. 

1 hour ago, Simon V said:

Honestly, doesn't look like they have to go too far to beat the zvezda kit from what I've seen of it.

Do you actually have a copy of the Zvedza kit yet ?

I do and, now that I have had time to handle and examine the contents, it's pretty good from my perspective. Sure, there are one or two minor omissions (quite apart from the lack of cockpit and rivet detail, which have already been discussed) but name me a kit that does not have some omissions which, good forbid, any good modeller might like to tackle anyway. This kit is certainly as good as any of the Kittyhawk and Italeri releases I have previously acquired and provides a very sound basis for a fairly simple build out of the box or as a great canvas for those who wish to go a step further. Is it good value for money ?. Again, from my perspective "yes" but then I do live in the Baltics with easy access to keenly priced Russian and Ukrainian kits. Even if one were to pay the full UK RRP, it is only marginally more than the Kittyhawk UH-1D/H and considerably less than the same company's UH-1N, both of which I also have, and which offer very little extra in terms of accuracy, ease of assembly etc.

I stand by my previous comments regarding the forthcoming Kittyhawk kit but I also stand to be corrected too, should they surprise me !            

• Like 5

I've had one Kitty Hawk kit, a cartoon of the Banshee, when it comes to accuracy and ease of building I'm sure Zvezda have this in the bag.

Detail can always be added, accuracy can't.

Like Tiger, I'm open to surprises!

Edited by 71chally

1 hour ago, Tiger331 said:

Do you actually have a copy of the Zvedza kit yet ?

I do and, now that I have had time to handle and examine the contents, it's pretty good from my perspective. Sure, there are one or two minor omissions (quite apart from the lack of cockpit and rivet detail, which have already been discussed) but name me a kit that does not have some omissions which, good forbid, any good modeller might like to tackle anyway. This kit is certainly as good as any of the Kittyhawk and Italeri releases I have previously acquired and provides a very sound basis for a fairly simple build out of the box or as a great canvas for those who wish to go a step further. Is it good value for money ?. Again, from my perspective "yes" but then I do live in the Baltics with easy access to keenly priced Russian and Ukrainian kits. Even if one were to pay the full UK RRP, it is only marginally more than the Kittyhawk UH-1D/H and considerably less than the same company's UH-1N, both of which I also have, and which offer very little extra in terms of accuracy, ease of assembly etc.

Zvezda kit is cheap, but that's because it's a straight upscale of their 1/72 kit. It has zero detail expected from a 1/48 kit in this day and age, IMHO. So, it's not really that cheap once you start adding up aftermarket. E.g. since Zvezda kit has absolutely zero cockpit details (only decals are provided), that Quinta set adds like 20 bucks to the price. Then the rivet set (which sounds like quite a chore, besides the extra price), the wheels set, probably some UB pod weapon set, etc. and you're in the Kitty Hawk price territory at least or more.

Though, I'm not really expecting to be blown away by the KH kit, either, TBH. IMHO, raised rivet detail is a must on today's 1/48 Hind kit and given the KH UH-1 kit, I don't think they will provide that. Then, there's the question of how it will fit together..

If KH fails to deliver, well, I've waited so long for a great 1/48 Hind kit, I can wait some more I guess (Anetra?).

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

KH probably won't deliver, but to say that Zvezda kit is difficult to surpass is pardon my language-laughable. Zvezda kit is so devoid of detail, that its beyond belief

a.)that its Zvezda kit b.)that its tooled in 1/48 and year being 2020.

In my view by far biggest disappointment in the last few years considering tooling provenance, and its not just rivet detail, panels are missing and not consistent, not to mention first run having very very odd plastic quality ( especially transparent parts ), but latter can be remedied. Its accurate in outline, everything else will be easily surpassed.

Discount tooling for some reason that is beyond my reasoning, prices in Central Europe equal or surpass 1/35 Academy AH-1Z, and quality of the Zulu Cobra is miles above Zvezda.

Edited by Thomas V.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/7/2020 at 8:04 AM, dragan_mig31 said:

Any news?

This had been posted on the Kitty Hawk Facebook page several weeks ago.  Their Hind release may take a little while.

“To all our friends;

Thank you all for your attention and support. Considering the spread of the Covid 19 virus globally, in order to protect the health and safety of all our employees and agents at home and abroad, and follow the recommendations of WHO, after careful consideration we have decided to slow down the production progress until the epidemic slows down world wide. At the same time, the factory will not be closed, and our staff will provide service when you need it. Let us pay tribute to all the heroes who have contributed to this fight against this epidemic, and look forward to the early end of this virus. we call for humanity to work together to overcome this epidemic.thank you again.

from the staff @ Kitty Hawk, Panda Models & Q'MEN“

• Like 2

So many Hinds to build, so many operators and timeframes... I am sure if another manufacturer brings out a better one, there is still room for all... but a worse, and more expensive one, probably not... so guys, put effort into it!. ;)

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

KH probably won't deliver, but to say that Zvezda kit is difficult to surpass is pardon my language-laughable. Zvezda kit is so devoid of detail, that its beyond belief

a.)that its Zvezda kit b.)that its tooled in 1/48 and year being 2020.

In my view by far biggest disappointment in the last few years considering tooling provenance, and its not just rivet detail, panels are missing and not consistent, not to mention first run having very very odd plastic quality ( especially transparent parts ), but latter can be remedied. Its accurate in outline, everything else will be easily surpassed.

Discount tooling for some reason that is beyond my reasoning, prices in Central Europe equal or surpass 1/35 Academy AH-1Z, and quality of the Zulu Cobra is miles above Zvezda.

So I guess this is why my three favoured kit suppliers sold out of the Zvezda Mil Mi-24 kit within days...?!

I tried to conduct a repeat order.

Hannants will have imported a sizeable order, which sold out within days (granted some of their stock probably goes to trade) but the other two dealers are standard shops and they are also now sold out, so I would respectfully suggest that most are happy with the quality, accuracy and value for money provided by Zvedza. 

If you have the kit, then the plastic quality in your kit is clearly quite different from mine !.....the parts in my kit are all perfectly formed.....

21 hours ago, Dudikoff said:

Zvezda kit is cheap, but that's because it's a straight upscale of their 1/72 kit. It has zero detail expected from a 1/48 kit in this day and age, IMHO. So, it's not really that cheap once you start adding up aftermarket. E.g. since Zvezda kit has absolutely zero cockpit details (only decals are provided), that Quinta set adds like 20 bucks to the price. Then the rivet set (which sounds like quite a chore, besides the extra price), the wheels set, probably some UB pod weapon set, etc. and you're in the Kitty Hawk price territory at least or more.

Though, I'm not really expecting to be blown away by the KH kit, either, TBH. IMHO, raised rivet detail is a must on today's 1/48 Hind kit and given the KH UH-1 kit, I don't think they will provide that. Then, there's the question of how it will fit together..

If KH fails to deliver, well, I've waited so long for a great 1/48 Hind kit, I can wait some more I guess (Anetra?).

My previous comments re sales (above) applies.

Quite strange that such a flawed kit should sell out within days......there are obviously a lot of people out there that seem content with the quality, accuracy and value for money offered by Zvedza. I guess we are all wrong ?!

• Like 2

I have built 10 zvezda kits in 1;72 so far.The 1:48 looks like it is the same tooling just scaled up.It has ZERO cockpit details,the panel lines are so shallow so one has to rescribe them all and do not forget about the rivets.The fit is awful ( on the 1:72 kit).The glass parts are hazy an rubbery like and can`t be polished.They even don`t work that well with the future/pledge treatment. If I have to pay 30-40 euros to get the new zvezda kit and than add like 50-60euros more for the details and have to rescribe and rivet the whole kit than I would gladly pay 60-70 euros for an already rescribed and riveted kit that has a much more easier assembly and do the minor details myself.I am so dissapointed by the zvezda kit you have no idea.This is not a 2020 kit it more looks like a 80`s kit.Accuracy aside I think that the zcezda kit in that respect is the best and most accurate kit we will get of the mi-24.But the details and the assembly with that over complicated and over engeneered approach will make it one hell of pain..I have the MHM kit with a ton of upgrades for now so I will build that one first.And we will wait to see what will and if will KH do anything at all about this matter.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Quite strange that such a flawed kit should sell out within days......there are obviously a lot of people out there that seem content with the quality, accuracy and value for money offered by Zvedza. I guess we are all wrong ?!

Disregarding that we have no idea how many kits were sold, this is the first newly tooled kit of a Hind in 1/48 in like 30-35 years. It is quite expected that it will sell well.

But, I don't understand why you have the need to keep arguing with those who expected somewhat more from it (to say the least). You're happy with it, great. There's a perfectly good Zvezda Mi-24 thread where you can sing praises to it.

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Dudikoff said:

Disregarding that we have no idea how many kits were sold, this is the first newly tooled kit of a Hind in 1/48 in like 30-35 years. It is quite expected that it will sell well.

But, I don't understand why you have the need to keep arguing with those who expected somewhat more from it (to say the least). There's a perfectly good Zvezda Mi-24 thread where you can sing praises to it.

Hey.....listen.......I'm getting equally tired of the argument against the better qualities of this kit. I'm not a rivet counter but I have background with the subject, having worked in and around them over the years. I'm, personally, very happy with the new kit, understand that it may have shortcomings for those that find shortcomings with everything (and these shortcomings have or will, inevitably, be addressed by the AM companies in due course). If the kit was in the £45+ price bracket then I may have taken issue but having paid 26 Euros plus shipping I don't. Right now, it offers ME, accuracy, ease of construction and great value for money and it also seems that many more share my view.

I'm not entering into any more dialogue on this..........life's too short.      

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dragan_mig31 said:

I have built 10 zvezda kits in 1;72 so far.The 1:48 looks like it is the same tooling just scaled up.It has ZERO cockpit details,the panel lines are so shallow so one has to rescribe them all and do not forget about the rivets.The fit is awful ( on the 1:72 kit).The glass parts are hazy an rubbery like and can`t be polished.They even don`t work that well with the future/pledge treatment. If I have to pay 30-40 euros to get the new zvezda kit and than add like 50-60euros more for the details and have to rescribe and rivet the whole kit than I would gladly pay 60-70 euros for an already rescribed and riveted kit that has a much more easier assembly and do the minor details myself.I am so dissapointed by the zvezda kit you have no idea.This is not a 2020 kit it more looks like a 80`s kit.Accuracy aside I think that the zcezda kit in that respect is the best and most accurate kit we will get of the mi-24.But the details and the assembly with that over complicated and over engeneered approach will make it one hell of pain. .I have the MHM kit with a ton of upgrades for now so I will build that one first.And we will wait to see what will and if will KH do anything at all about this matter.

really 🤔

Wish some of my 1980s kits looked like this

• Like 1

Some people in this thread need to step away from the keyboard and take a break.

Also this is about a future Kitty Hawk kit, not any other kit so please leave those comments to one side.

47 minutes ago, Tiger331 said:

really 🤔

Wish some of my 1980s kits looked like this

It all depends on the scale modeller and what one expects from a kit.I for an example don't want to pay 35+ euros olus shipping for a kit that I have to extensivley upgrade just to have a decent panelisation that can hold thr bare minimun of a wash and look decent.It was the same with the 1:72 kits.wait till you try to build it with thr engine covers closed and let me know how it goes ;)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, dragan_mig31 said:

The old monogram with enhraved panelisation anad parts for buidling a D/V and a P.A shitty kit but I have bought it for 15euros and thr cmk resin was 25 euros at the time and there was no other alternative.Now I have to build it because no one in their right mind won't buy it hahah

Thanks for the info., not a kit/manufacturer I've ever heard of before. Sounds like you have quite a challenge on your hands; I built the Monogram Hind many years ago but don't have fond memories of it at all!

I wish Kitty Hawk great luck in producing their Hind.  Being second into the market will hurt their sales to some extent but I am sure there is plenty of room.  And there are so many versions of the Hind they could do very well just putting some extra parts in the box to get something different.   But what I really want to see is their Kamov Ka-50. But let's hope we don't have more model companies like WNW go down.   This whole lock down has been terrible for people's livelihood and purchasing power and I am afraid other manufacturers could follow in their wake if people are not allowed to be employed.

• Like 2

If Kitty Hawk do a Hind anywhere near as detailed as their other helicopter kits I'll bag at least 3 and put my Zvezda out to pasture. I'll build one as a Soviet bird, the second as the Czech special 'Costal Command' Hind and keep a third aside in the vain hope that someone creates the decals to make the Alien Hind that is an absolute stunner!

• Like 3