Resicast Sherman DD

sanfrandragon

Having finished my Telic Challenger I am now considering my next subject.

I managed to pick up a Resicast 1/35 Sherman DD Mk1 with lowered screen ‘relatively’ cheaply from EBay.  It builds up into either an M4A4 or M4A1 early or late model. I want build the British version so I think it should be the M4A1?  However there are no decals; ideally I would like to depict the tank as belonging to the 13th/18th Royal Hussars who came ashore on Sword beach, but the Nottinghamshire Yeomanry (Sherwood Rangers) or 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards who both landed on Gold beach would be good too.  Can anyone point me in the direction of some suitable decals?

All help and comments much appreciated thanks!

Aye up,

Star Decals do/did a set for British swimming and wading Shermans. The markings you want might be on there? 

Regards 

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Thanks 1

13/18 Hussars used the M4A4 (Sherman V) DD tank. Only A and B Squadrons were equipped with DD tanks, with C Squadron operating standard Shermans equipped with deep wading stacks. Other regiments also operated with just two Sqns of DDs but it varied from Regt to Regt as to which Sqn was the 'wading' Sqn.

The British also used the M4A1 (Sherman II) DD - I believe that both 4/7 Dragoon Guards and the Sherwood Rangers operated them on D-Day.

I must admit to being curious about how a set can be for either the Sherman V or the Sherman II - the hulls were different lengths. Grahame is a great producer so I can only assume he included optional parts to reflect the different hull lengths?

Regards,

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up,

Star Decals do/did a set for British swimming and wading Shermans. The markings you want might be on there? 

Regards 

Steve

Thanks Steve!

I found British Swimming & Wading Sherman decals by Bison which I guess you were thinking of, they look perfect.

When I was searching for Star Decals I found their set for British Special Shermans which includes markings for a Crab.  Perfect as I have the Resicast conversion set in my stash, so thank you for your guidance!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

Thanks Steve!

I found British Swimming & Wading Sherman decals by Bison which I guess you were thinking of, they look perfect.

When I was searching for Star Decals I found their set for British Special Shermans which includes markings for a Crab.  Perfect as I have the Resicast conversion set in my stash, so thank you for your guidance!

Your more than welcome. 

Have used Bison/Star decals in the past and they are really good.

Regards

Steve

On 8/21/2019 at 9:38 PM, John Tapsell said:

13/18 Hussars used the M4A4 (Sherman V) DD tank. Only A and B Squadrons were equipped with DD tanks, with C Squadron operating standard Shermans equipped with deep wading stacks. Other regiments also operated with just two Sqns of DDs but it varied from Regt to Regt as to which Sqn was the 'wading' Sqn.

The British also used the M4A1 (Sherman II) DD - I believe that both 4/7 Dragoon Guards and the Sherwood Rangers operated them on D-Day.

I must admit to being curious about how a set can be for either the Sherman V or the Sherman II - the hulls were different lengths. Grahame is a great producer so I can only assume he included optional parts to reflect the different hull lengths?

Regards,

John

Hi John, thanks for your comment.  I think the instructions are just unclear.  The DVD with the instructions says M4A1 and M4A4 but the hull in the box is the one on the right.

48618155821_1de46d9234_b.jpg

Im no expert in all the variants of the Sherman but I think it’s an M4A4?  There are no other main hull parts in the box to make anything else. 

Interestingly, on the left is the hull supplied with the Resicast DD Sherman without screen kit, which the instructions say build into an American M4A1.  Is this the same as a British DD Sherman II?

1 hour ago, sanfrandragon said:

Im no expert in all the variants of the Sherman but I think it’s an M4A4?  There are no other main hull parts in the box to make anything else. 

That is definitely and M4A4/Sherman V. The give away is the lump on the engine deck just behind the turret ring which I think is the radiator housing.

John.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

Interestingly, on the left is the hull supplied with the Resicast DD Sherman without screen kit, which the instructions say build into an American M4A1.  Is this the same as a British DD Sherman II?

Yep, the M4A1 was know as the Sherman II when in British service, the M4A4 was the Sherman V.

P

• Thanks 1