Scania T143H 6x2 tipper conversion

Hi all, just a small update on the Scania now that the Benz is (finally) finished. That was a fun project and I learned a lot during that build. And I'm going to apply the things I learned (and expand on them, most likely) for the Scania build. I just finished round 1 of paint stripping. The parts are now soaking in a fresh bath of iso for round 2. 

So, as for the rest of this build... I really felt like going in a totally different direction with it. And, like with the Benz, this will involve modifications and scratchbuilding. I seem to like doing that!

This is the new direction: 

20200601205510-22001c27.jpg

Oh yeah! I don't know about colours and such (the Benz is red so that's out) but it will definitely be a tipper. You will also note that the truck depicted here has a day cab, so this means that the trusty saw will be needed to modify the cab and remove the sleeper compartment. And, of course, the tipper itself will need to be constructed from white plastic. 

This should be fun! And again, a long term project 🤔

• Like 3

I don't know why but I was feeling particularly brave this evening so I took advantage of it. The side panels, bare except for the very tough Tamiya primer and some traces of blue. 

I needed 4 cuts per panel to shorten them, so I carefully drew the lines, starting from the door's straight panel line. 

20200605211344-f4eb6f83-me.jpg

Then, to work with the saw! Four times per panel, and I managed to get the cuts pretty nice and straight. 

20200605211344-a3a27ddd-me.jpg

Then I discarded parts 1 and 3 and now I just need to glue/fill/sand the remaining ones together. I think it will work. 

20200605211344-9921ca58-me.jpg

Sometimes it's best to just get on with, and deal with the consequences later 🙂 

• Like 2

Here's one of the side panels, looking a bit more civilized after a round of sanding. The cut parts are tentatively glued together and will get reinforced from the back with some strip. But I think I'm headed in the right direction. Lots of filling and sanding in my immediate future though 🙂 

20200605222450-4168f6df-me.jpg

Edited by JeroenS
Spelling...
  • Like 6

• JeroenS changed the title to Scania T143H 6x2 tipper conversion

Nice work on the cab, looking forward to watching this progress into another of your masterpieces

Stay safe             Roger

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Nice work on the cab, looking forward to watching this progress into another of your masterpieces

Stay safe             Roger

Thanks Roger, I'll do my best 🙂 

• Like 1

So let's see how "door number 1" is doing. It's doing pretty well actually. 

20200606111720-aba45688-me.jpg

The cut on the left is filled with Humbrol's grey model filler which I think works fine for gaps like that. The other cut will need to be rescribed into a panel line. I cut the original panel in such a way that I was able to re-use the bottom-left corner encircled in red. However, I got the gap encircled in blue for free to go with that. 

It will need filling. This is the area a bit closer up, it doesn't look good like this but that bottom-left curve is nice.

20200606112428-417ede8a-me.jpg

Because I need to scribe the area later I will use 2-part putty for this gap, it's sturdier. It will be a challenge to get a decent looking panel line. 

• Like 3

Could you use streched sprue or similar to fill the gap by the door? It would surely leave you a straighter edge for the door shut line.

Stay safe                Roger

@Hamden Thanks, I'm still thinking about alternatives, haven't started filling it yet. Though I've tried stretching sprue on various occasions the process seems to be beyond my grasp 🙂 

I was thinking to either place a thin piece of strip against the door (no glue) and remove it after filling or glueing in a piece in some form or other, leaving the correct panel line, and fill in the rest (as needed). I could then use this gap as a starting point for the rest of the panel line. I think I may try the latter. 

• Like 2

I managed to glue a piece of strip in the gap, thereby creating the panel line, and fill the rest of the gap. While the filler was drying I scribed the panel line all the way. This will have to do, if I go any deeper I'll have separated the side panels again 🙂 

20200606173821-d20dc28d-me.jpg

This is how it looks with a lot of zoom. 

20200606173820-63ac1709-me.jpg

It will need some more work. I'm going to spray some Mr Surfacer 500 filler primer to see where we stand. 

• Like 3

Some more fettling is needed though, but that was to be expected. 

Not too much on the area next to the window, and the panel line is good enough,  but you can see that the rear part was attached at an ever so slight angle, leaving a small "dent". This will be a job to get right. 

20200606180358-22370c2e-me.jpg

I will sand the primer back and get out the putty. 

• Like 3

Milliput applied... Hope it works out. 

20200607085346-22127c03-me.jpg

I'm currently thinking about how to attack the roof... it slopes upwards from front to back so that's going to be a bit tricky to get right I think. 

• Like 1

Looking at your reference picture above it appears to me (I may be wrong) that the roof line is parallel to the chassis and the sun visor is tilted giving the impression of a sloping roof.

Side panals looking good so far

Stay safe    Roger

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

Looking at your reference picture above it appears to me (I may be wrong) that the roof line is parallel to the chassis and the sun visor is tilted giving the impression of a sloping roof.

No, you're right, the tipper's roof is not sloping. However, the kit roof is, and it's much higher too. So I guess I'll have to pull a trick like I did with the F12, using part of the kit roof and winging the rest. I'll build up the front, back and side panels first and I'll go from there. 

• Like 1

Round 2 of filling and sanding done, and a quick shot of primer, this time Tamiya's extra fine. 

20200607154402-e6280dfb-me.jpg

I deem them worthy! Any remaining blemishes will have to be hidden by weathering 😉  

I'm off wet sanding the body panels!

Ah, yes... definitely some forward movement now! That looks suspiciously like a day cab. I like this shorter look!

20200607165950-9ca5fcc4-me.jpg

A quick peek into the future... 

20200607165950-9ac7ef88-me.jpg

Now I can figure out how to make the roof. This is the most important step now. I'll worry about the interior later. 

• Like 3

Right, the roof. This is the kit's Topline roof, which is too high and bulky for the tipper. 

20200607204447-e71724f8-me.jpg

I basically followed the same procedure as for the F12 I did recently, where I cut the base off the Globetrotter roof. I did the same for this roof. 

20200607204447-88109583-me.jpg

This gave me the rain gutter and the vertical part of the roof. I cut this to length to accommodate for the shorter cab.

20200607204447-ff50fe97-me.jpg

Now the next step is to get this piece of 1 mm sheet into the correct size and shape. I'll glue in a support at the front to prevent sagging. This should work. 

20200607204446-c69cae14-me.jpg

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

I have a lot of catch up reading to do here I see, but it seems you are making good, and complex progress. 👍

Thanks. 

Complex, yes... good, we'll have to see 🙂 

2 hours ago, Biggu said:

You, my friend are an artistic engineer, such beautiful precise work on that cab, this is awesome work !

Jeff

Well, thanks... Let's wait for the final result shall we 🙂 

• Like 1

Thanks Pete, yes I rebooted this one a short while ago. Decided to try a different tack this time 🙂 

• Like 2