Scania T143H 6x2 tipper conversion

Having just finished a small scale Scammel over in the AFV section, I wanted to start a new build. I like starting much better than finishing so I've been looking forward to this one for a while. I allow myself two builds at the same time, otherwise I'll just end up with a bunch of half built kits. Anyway, I have a few nice trucks in my stash but the first I wanted to start is this T143, I just love the looks of these Torpedo nosed Scania's. The plan is to build it OOB, but I want to lift the rear axle and I also want to sneak in some plumbing and a wire or two on the chassis. And maybe have the standing exhaust pipes. Plus, I don't know about the wheels provided with the kit, they're not bad but I might get a resin set like I have for the Benz. I'll have to see how they look with some paint on.

This is the box: 

20200207180550-fdbb2a66-me.jpg

Now, I know this truck actually exists in this colour scheme, but I'm not going to put poultry on my truck. I have a lot of reference shots and I always like something like this 

20200207180559-edd2de27-me.jpg

or this 

48593839842_6ebceb139c_z.jpg

So, we'll see. I kind of like the dark blue for now. 

The box contains a good heap of plastic, I'm not doing sprue shots but there's quite a few of 'm. I got started and I've built up the chassis. 

20200207180600-09508967.jpg

The thing is over 30cm long. Interestingly, the first thing the instructions have you do is make a couple of cuts in the chassis beams, remove 12mm from them, then glue them back together 🤔... The same chassis is probably used for another Italeri truck which is 12mm longer. Later on, the driveshaft will also have to be shortened by the aforementioned 12mm. 

Anyway, I got it back together nice and straight, but it's no warming-up and straight in the deep end on page 1. The fit of the parts is good so far, very little flash but rather prominent mold lines on just about every part. So, lots of sanding which slows the build down a bit. 

I've been doing quite a bit of research on whether this truck has leaf spring suspension in real life (like in the kit) or air. Luckily, I found that although some have air suspension, a lot of them have the leaf spring suspension with the lift axle. Which is great, because what I'd like to do is lift the rear axle like in the photo of the blue T143 above. 

20200207180552-57cad380-me.jpg

Here you can see the suspension with the lift axle. 

20200207180552-525819f1-me.jpg

The kit does not provide an option for lifting the rear axle so I had to make some modifications (uhm well, that's more like "cut away some plastic") to be able to move the rear axle up on both sides (the middle part is fixed in place) while at the same time making sure the drive axle stays in the correct place (it is connected to the leaf springs only). You can see that I removed some material from the end of the leaf spring where it connects to the "drums" on the rear axle. I didn't glue these drums in place so they now move freely up and down. In the end, after I mount the wheels, I can move the axle up and glue it in place. 

I did a dry fit with the wheels and mud guards in place and I was relieved to see that it worked out like I wanted. 

This is the completed chassis, with wheels and rear mud guards on one side. The front wheels move, that's nice, and all wheels touch the ground which is also very pleasant. 

20200207180551-0d1e1970-me.jpg

Rear axle in down position: 

20200207180551-e682b8ec-me.jpg

And in lifted position: 

20200207180550-3b67ece5-me.jpg

Nice! Next up is adding battery box, air tanks and fuel tank to the chassis so I can figure out how much wires I'm adding and where. 

Thanks for watching!

• Like 5

Looks like a great start on this, keep up the good work although it would be good to see the other truck completed.

I get the impression you're not the only one who prefers starting to finishing. In fact, there are times where I feel I'm the only one who prefers finishing a kit to starting one - does that make me odd?

14 minutes ago, Spiny said:

In fact, there are times where I feel I'm the only one who prefers finishing a kit to starting one - does that make me odd?

Thanks Spiny. Well, I like having finished a kit very much, unfortunately, actually finishing it goes first 🙂

I like the energy starting something gives me, and now that I have I can put this energy to good use for the Benz. It will get done, don't worry!

Small update, now that the top floor of the house, where my work area is, has cooled down after a bit of a warm week. It was uncomfortable before. I've attached air tanks, battery box and fuel tank to the chassis. 

20200207180553-e4c6b0ec-me.jpg

And I built the engine, apart from the exhausts and the fan. It's a nice big one.

20200207180553-063f53bb-me.jpg

I may put a wire or two on it, I don't know yet. There's a massive cab over it, and from what I've seen it's not like you can open the engine compartment. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, richellis said:

I’m sure the bonnet will open on this model

And it does seem to be the case indeed! There's a hinge system on the front of the bonnet which I missed earlier when I browsed the instructions. So, some wires it is. 

An update on the engine which is now completely built. Italeri called out "gunship grey" for it, and I happened to have a can of Tamiya in that colour, with just enough left in it to paint the engine. It does look really nice like this. I'm making the Scania a clean build, so after I've added some wiring to the engine I'll pick out some details (hopefully without messing it up), roughly following the instructions. I haven't yet found a picture of this engine in new state, unfortunately. 

20200207180554-1fee20cb-me.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mbdesignart said:

I do like the look of the Truck with the box on the back, definitely something different to the usual.

Yes, you could make it a camper van and people will surely look twice when your turn up on the camp site 😎

There was a (possibility Dutch) chap in the 90’s who built a camper from one of these, it was a complete coach built body integral to the cab, it was styled to take inspiration from the Ferrari Testarosa as it carried one in a garage at the back.

I have just the cab to one of these in a parts box, not sure what to do with it yet. I like this idea. This lift axle is quite different than what I've seen. I find you have to double check Italeri's paint notes when it comes to engines.

2 hours ago, richellis said:

There was a (possibility Dutch) chap in the 90’s who built a camper from one of these, it was a complete coach built body integral to the cab, it was styled to take inspiration from the Ferrari Testarosa as it carried one in a garage at the back.

Googling for "scania 143 camper" will get you some nice ones, maybe even the one you mean!

2 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I find you have to double check Italeri's paint notes when it comes to engines.

I've seen lots of different colours for this engine, but all are older engines. I usually don't bother too much about the instructions but rather mix up different reference photo's... and if it pleases my eye then I'm happy 🙂 

• Like 1

Well I'm following this.  I'm by no means a truck expert, but I do love them and I will learn to drive them one day (I'm 40 by the way).  I always refer to these as 'longnose' truck, and they're the type I love, but you never see them on the road in the UK.  I'll be watching this build and I'm adding this kit to my wish list.  Its off to a great start and I cant wait to see what you do with it.

Edited by HoolioPaulio
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

I always refer to these as 'longnose' truck, and they're the type I love, but you never see them on the road in the UK. 

I know what you mean, this type of truck is a rare sight nowadays, shame! There were more of them when I was a kid (in the '70's) and I used to love them even back then. In fact, I remember also being worried about the "regular" front steer trucks, whenever I saw one without a trailer I was afraid they were going to tip over when they breaked too hard 🙂 

• Like 1

Scania where the only company offering them direct until they discontinued them a few years ago. Iveco did one in Australia, a few have come over and Volvo VH was available in Europe. I’ve pics on my page I can dig out and share at the weekend 

2 hours ago, richellis said:

I’ve pics on my page I can dig out and share at the weekend 

Yes, please do, would be nice.

There's a company here in Holland that do conversions from front steer to Torpedo.

I took a whole bunch of parts off the sprues today, cleaned them up and even managed to get them in a coat of primer just now, in between a few drops of rain. 

20200207180554-a116364e-me.jpg

I'd really like to get some painting done on the body panels, but because of almost continuous rain earlier today humidity in the shed where I paint is quite high. Some other time... 

I did try out some body colours yesterday, I'm going for the dark blue look. I think it will be a mix of 75% dark blue spiked with 25% metallic blue.

20200207180554-7c09a48c-me.jpg

It looks OK on the spoon after a bit of polishing, I'm curious to see what it will look like on an actual part. 

• Like 2

Nice colour choice.  I love it when you get a load of parts into the paint stage at once.  

I look forward to seeing what you achieve with this kit, it will be good to see how well produced the Italeri kit is due to having a different Italeri model in the stash.  Always amazes me the difference in quality of kits between manufacturers.

Good luck with the rest of this build, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Coops