Scania T143H 6x2 tipper conversion

22 minutes ago, Cooper645 said:

I love it when you get a load of parts into the paint stage at once.

Me too, especially with all these large parts, it feels like progress although nothing has actually been done 🙂 

24 minutes ago, Cooper645 said:

I look forward to seeing what you achieve with this kit, it will be good to see how well produced the Italeri kit is due to having a different Italeri model in the stash.  Always amazes me the difference in quality of kits between manufacturers.

This is my first Italeri kit. So far, all the parts fit well enough, except for the 2-part dashboard that I had to help along quite a bit. Some parts have a bit of flash but nothing too bad. The mold lines are rather prominent so it does take a lot of sanding to get presentable parts. The cab consists of multiple panels which is sort of an Italeri "trademark", as I understand it. You build the inner cab first, which has the floor, the inner roof, a back wall and part of the sidewalls. Then you build the outer cab around it. I'm still looking into building the outer shell as one part and fitting it over the inner shell, I think it will be a bit fiddly and I'm not sure I'll be able to get in the correct shape. The joins of the outer panels are clearly meant for building it up panel by panel, so I'll probably follow the instructions on this one. I can also see the advantages of working with the separate panels, like for finishing the inside of the panels with door trim and windows and such. As for painting, I'm considering building the outer shell except for the roof, mask from the inside and then spray the body as one. Then fit the windows from above and fit the roof, which could be painted beforehand. I think this is what I'll aim for as I just don't like handling and glueing painted parts of the body. Something is bound to go wrong and then I'll have to touch up which will leave marks for sure. 

• Thanks 1

You can’t build the cab shell and slide the interior in unless you cut the lower step wells off the side. You can then glue these under the floor, see the red line in the pic. The other way is to leave the back wall out till the interior is in place and as it last.

48694529171_2ea6c5c3a6.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JeroenS said:

I'd really like to get some painting done on the body panels, but because of almost continuous rain earlier today humidity in the shed where I paint is quite high. Some other time... 

From my experience, it was a good call on your part waiting for better weather. I bought a cheap humidty monitor for my garage, and now won't paint unless the humidity is below 70%. It does seem as though I could possibly push it to 75% in extremis, but from a plastic spoon test once above 80% you're asking for trouble. I also get the impression that despite some cans (Halford springs to mind) saying not to spray below 10C, it's the humidity which seems to have more of a detrimental effect on the paint - maybe the 10C is a way of limiting the chance of spraying taking place in high humidity conditions.

Back onto your model, it looks like the priming at least provides rapid visual progress. The blue looks good on the spoon so it will be good to see it on the truck too.

• Like 1

The sun was shining as I came home from work so I immediately got my stuff out to the shed for painting! 

I started out with flat black on the rear mudguards but then I thought "no this will be a shiny truck" and applied a coat of gloss black. Much better!

20200207180555-4f662794-me.jpg

I also painted some parts for the cab, but not the body panels. When I did my spoon-test I mixed equal parts dark blue and metallic blue. I wanted to ease up on the metallic a little so now I mixed 75% dark blue and 25% metallic blue. Strangest thing happened... the paint got lighter! Which wasn't what I was expecting. But then my wife (who is better with colours anyway...) said, in the sweetest voice: "but of course you <non repeatable>, look at the lids of the jars, the metallic blue is darker then the dark blue"... As usual, she was right, but in my defense, the metallic blue does not look dark at all when it's in the jar 🙂 

So, a slightly different colour then what was on the spoon, but oh boy do I like it:

20200207180555-8fb2cb40-me.jpg

This truck will look like a giant Subaru when it's done!

• Like 5

My plan is to paint the cab this weekend and I should be able to get it done tomorrow. I thought about the different options to build and paint the cab but in the end came back to my original plan. Which was, to build the cab around the interior like the instructions say, but still paint it as a unit instead of painting the panels separately before putting it together.  

So I built up and painted the interior, which I'm keeping clean and simple. Everything is in there except for the dashboard which I'll fit after painting. The cab built nicely, the panels fit well. 

20200207180556-e5307c55-me.jpg

Then I masked the windows from the inside. 

20200207180556-958a6f3f-me.jpg

I tried the roof which needed some adjusting to make it fit. I will paint it separately. The roof has an inner part which I fitted loosely in its place in the cab to protect the interior. 

20200207180556-12665fbc-me.jpg

I'm looking forward to putting the colour on tomorrow once the shed has heated up a little bit in the afternoon. 

Also... I had painted the rear mud guards gloss black and I was happy with them, but this week I noticed that a lot of nicely painted trucks have the mudguards painted in body colour.... I think it looks really pretty so mine are now back in primer and will also be painted blue tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Well, if anything, it's great weather for painting. So now I have the cab and all "body parts" in two coats of the metallic blue mix. Except for the side skirts that is, for they need to be made to size and I don't know that size yet. They go between the front and rear mud guards. 

20200207180557-994aec36-me.jpg

20200207180557-ee9641cb-me.jpg

I'll let this sit for a couple of days and then clearcoat the lot. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

Nice progress Jeroen, that blue is looking sweet as.  This will look good when finished.  My question is, will you be painting the wheel rims gold ;)

Thanks, and that's a valid question given the colour on this one haha.... I'm aiming for some nice chromed rims. I didn't like the kit wheels at all so I've ordered some stuff from KFS which should be a lot more realistic. 

• Like 1

Yeey, my rims and hubs from KFS arrived today, definitely a huge improvement over the kit parts which I deemed unfit to match the shiny blue paint. I used a set of these rims on the Benz as well, it does add to the build. 

20200207180557-095a6386-me.jpg

They always say that the wheels make a car in real life, so it stands to reason that it should work that way in scale. These look like they should look pretty good painted up and so I expect this could prove to be a good purchase.

Hi, the paintwork is done and the cab is closed. It's actually starting to look like something. I've polished a little but it could use some more. 

The inside of the cab before closing up. I kept it really simple, just did a two-tone scheme on the seats and beds.

20200207180558-6f7ca624-me.jpg

The cab, dry fitted on the chassis. It's big.

20200207180558-224bda21-me.jpg

What's bugging me is the windscreen. There's a curve in the clear plastic that's not matched by the cab itself. I had it down but of course, some time after the cab was closed it popped out, especially in the lower right corner... I don't know yet whether I'll take the window out and try again, or somehow manage to glue that corner back in.

20200207180558-224bda21-me.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, crap... Define "buildstopper"... maybe this will do: driving home today, I got some new ideas about this build. So, when I got home I went online and searched for more pictures of this great truck. Then, I thought I'd have a look at what I'd done last year. All the parts have been boxed up in my cupboard since then. However, this is what I found: 

20200305165557-8f8f9c1b-me.jpg

The paint on every part that I painted blue, clearcoated and polished has cracked like this! And these cracks are not only visible but you can feel them well enough too. What the ... has happened here? A couple of weeks ago I had the (completed) cab out, even took a picture of it next to the Volvo's cab, and I didn't notice it then. Looking at that picture now, I can see the cracks, a bit faint but definitely there. I had everything out a while back so this happened in the past 2 months or so. Dammit! Delayed action paint screw-up, and shelf of doom for now as I don't feel like stripping all that paint at this point. 

• Sad 3

16 minutes ago, bmwh548 said:

Happened to me on one of my first kits... The paint didn't cure completely before clearcoating and after about a year or so it was cracked exactly like that everywhere.

I'm guessing that's what happened... 

I can't find any pics. I remember using Tamiya's Sky Blue (gloss) and maybe 2 days later clearcoating it. Now I know better than touching something painted with that before a week has passed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bmwh548 said:

I can't find any pics. I remember using Tamiya's Sky Blue (gloss) and maybe 2 days later clearcoating it. Now I know better than touching something painted with that before a week has passed.

Rereading my thread it looks like I put some amount of time in between paint and clearcoat but no way to tell for sure. Well, from the current status we can tell that it probably wasn't enough time. It's Tamiya's gloss paint indeed, thinned with their lacquer thinner which is supposed to cut down on drying time. So it's either that, or a reaction with the Zero Paints 1K clear. 

Anyway. I was a bit bummed yesterday but after a decent night's sleep I knew I wouldn't be able to start work without having had a go at dismantling the cab which needed to be done if I were to have a chance at stripping the paint. As it turned out, it came apart pretty easily. The only thing giving me lip was the back panel, I had glued that puppy down properly. 

But here's the pile of parts, only minor damage and I still have all my fingers. It's now IPA to the rescue!

20200306083353-bbdacbd2-me.jpg

I'm not planning any work on it for now, first have to finish the Volvo for the Nordic GB. But I'm glad I was able to get this bad boy back on track. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

23 hours ago, JeroenS said:

I'm guessing that's what happened... 

Hi Jeroen,
About your paint trouble, remember in paint there is pain!

So, did you use any primer before applying the blue paint? Maybe it's the guilty...

Dan.

1 hour ago, PROPELLER said:

Hi Jeroen,
About your paint trouble, remember in paint there is pain!

So, did you use any primer before applying the blue paint? Maybe it's the guilty...

Dan.

In paint there is pain, absolutely 🙂 

Yes, I used primer, always Tamiya's fine grey primer, shouldn't be the culprit here. However, I don't use the gloss paint (the X bottles) all that much so from now on I'll take 2 weeks curing time for that stuff!

• Like 1

Gutted mate.  This build made me add the T143H to my wishlist, its a beautiful looking cab and you chose a great colour.  I hope you manage to get it back on track when the GB has finished.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

Gutted mate.  This build made me add the T143H to my wishlist, its a beautiful looking cab and you chose a great colour.  I hope you manage to get it back on track when the GB has finished.

No worries! I found a page on Flickr with hundreds and hundreds of pictures, I think I'll be going down a different path than before 🙂 

• Like 1

Woa, bummer dude. I don't know, but the clear didn't like something. Was there any major temperature swings where you left these parts? If they got cold real quick this might happen. At least you were able to take it all apart.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Woa, bummer dude. I don't know, but the clear didn't like something. Was there any major temperature swings where you left these parts? If they got cold real quick this might happen. At least you were able to take it all apart.

Nope, this is a room with a pretty much constant temperature. You know, s**t happens, I'm glad I put the parts away or else I would now have had a finished model with cracks! I don't like stripping paint because of the work involved but otherwise it will be like starting a new model which is always fun 🙂 

Edited by JeroenS
Haha, forum turns s**t (without the *'s) into poo-poo
  • Confused 1