Airfix VC10

bootneck

Hi everyone,

it was my birthday this week and I received some very nice kits (after some helpful hints to the family :whistle:), which consist of:

Airfix VC10 tanker

Amodel Antonov An-12

Italeri ATR 42-500

Welsh Models Ilyushin Il-18D.

I have a query about the VC10 tanker, can it be built as an airliner by leaving off any tanker bits?   If so, what version would that make it and what period would it cover?  I have been googling for VC10 airliners but I think I need to know which type the kit is, so that I can choose a correct livery.

cheers

Mike

The Airfix VC10 was originally issued as an airliner and I am sure that the tanker reissue was a piece of minimal work on the part of Airfix with just the tanker bits and new decals added - I don't think any work was done to the basic kit.   

19 minutes ago, czechnavy said:

The Airfix VC10 was originally issued as an airliner and I am sure that the tanker reissue was a piece of minimal work on the part of Airfix with just the tanker bits and new decals added - I don't think any work was done to the basic kit.   

I would agree with czechnavy on this .  The tanker kit first saw the light of day in 1983 , during Palitoy's custodianship of the brand , so I'm positive they would have just added the tanker bits .  It would seem the airliner version was a VC10 rather than a Super VC10 .  When issued in British Airways markings it had decals for G-ARVF , G-ARVG & G-ARVH if that helps .

The easiest VC10 to build from that is the either The Prototype  G-ARTA on it's first flight . Airfix used that as it's design . OR BOAC Standards ( and sold on to Nigerian, Gulf Air , United Arab Emirates ) if you don't want to buy the leading edge extensions from BRAZ . For the BOAC Standard Ten you'll still need the inbd wing fence and Beaver tails which I think are BRAZ (and wing tips are different to the Airfix ones ?) although a scratch built fence is easy enough . Not sure how the Tanker kit looks . I take it the Belly Camera and HDU are stick ons so they just get left off along with the Probe and FR Wing Pods . If you want to do Ghana , MEA , RAe Bedford , BUA , BCAL , Sultan of Oman , Air Malawi the inbd leading edge extensions are required.

Best thing to do before I write a manual is give the airline and reg of the VC10 you'd like to do . I can tell you what the differences are . You might not care about some of the detailing and depth of faffing !

• Like 1

The Airfix kit originally represented the Standard VC-10 (not the Super as kitted by Roden) and the tanker can be built as a Standard by omitting or removing the refuelling parts. You will have to use window decals since most of the airliner windows were plugged when the kit was reworked for the tanker.

There are significant variations between the wings of individual aircraft - different fences, different leading edges and I think one or two had extended wingtips. I believe the unmodified Airfix wings are only accurate for the earliest half-dozen or so aircraft delivered to BOAC. For strict accuracy you also need to do something about the engine pylons which Airfix have just moulded straight instead of representing the upwards angle of the real thing. BraZ do replacement engines if you want them.

There is a lot of useful information here. A number of years ago an Irish modeller did a wonderful build of the Airfix kit. I'm fairly sure he started with the tanker but I can't find the link just now.  If I come up with it I'll post it later.

Dave G

I think the HDU at the back end was retooled in to the fuselage halves. Also I think the fences on the wings need to be moved inwards but I am not sure by how much.

Thanks folks.  I am taking notes of these points, as I don't understand some of the descriptive yet, and will try to work out what and where they apply to.  As to particular aircraft or period, possible choices would be:

BOAC or Ghana Airways 1971,

British Airways 1975,

Air Malawi or East African Airways 1976.

cheers,

Mike

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

Thanks folks.  I am taking notes of these points, as I don't understand some of the descriptive yet, and will try to work out what and where they apply to.  As to particular aircraft or period, possible choices would be:

BOAC or Ghana Airways 1971,

British Airways 1975,

Air Malawi or East African Airways 1976.

cheers,

Mike

Some possible markings for you Mike: 26Decals VC-10 Schemes

2 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

RAF C1K

The C. 1K is a hybrid . Super stub wing and inbd wing fence position , delete the outbd fence . Need to know which Standard VC10 that's being built . There is no hard and fast VC10 … I've worked on variety of different ( as Vickers drawing numbers)  VC10s 13 C.Mk1s , 5 K2s, 4 K3s, 5 K4s , ex BUA Sultan of Oman (in service) 6 ish BA Supers , ex RAF C.Mk 1 XR809 Rolls Royce RB211 Test Bed G-AXLR , ex BUA RAe Bedford XX914 and ex BOAC/BA Gulf Air Standard G-ARVJ . Most were visually different in some way or another. Stub Wings, Beaver Tails , Wing Fences, Wing Tips, Cowling drain posts ,Freight Doors, Wing profile, APU , Fridge pack intake size and splitters and obviously inflight refuelling gear ( or big RB211 missing on the left side and no wheels !)

Your kit has an APU tail cone extension ? Civvies didn't have it. For only 54 frames built they were busy changing things 1st 'til the 54th !

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

BOAC or Ghana Airways 1971

Ghana Only 1 left in 71, 9G-ABO the one that didn't have a freight door and had the 4% leading edge extension (BRAZ) BOAC didn't as Airfix

25 minutes ago, Richard E said:

British Airways 1975

3 off RVF,RVJ and RVM were the only 3 in full BA scheme . No leading edge extension

27 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Air Malawi or East African Airways

1 off Air Malawi is ex BUA original 4% lead edge extension .

5 off East African were Supers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul J said:

inwards

On all Standard VC10s (not on RAF C.1K though) .  It crosses the front corner of the fwd tank lid . The front ends up on the small triangular fixed piece on the inboard leading edge ( Between L/edge at root, 1 inbd and No2

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rs2man said:

G-ARVG & G-ARVH

Love Airfix accuracy . RVG went to Gulf Air 2 months after BA formed and before it could be painted and RVH was scrapped at LHR in BOAC colours and BA titles .

RVF was though for about 3 weeks ! Repainted from BOAC to BA and then in an eye blink repainted in United Arab Emirates colours . RVJ and RVM were the other 2 that made it to full BA colours .

• Like 1

Thanks again folks.  Those 26decals look good and I might go for 7Q-YKH of Air Malawi as they produce that sheet.  Also, I found Paul's build so will have something to refer to.

I have just googled this aircraft and find that it is an 1103 series.  Is there a set of drawings anywhere which shows what is, and what is not, on the 1101, 1102 and 1103 series?  I think above that it becomes Super VC10 so I shall stay at 1103 or below.

cheers,

Mike

4 hours ago, bootneck said:

7Q-YKH of Air Malawi

So you'll need the BRAZ 4% inboard leading edge extension and engines with beaver tails ( Don't use their stubwing , pretty sure that's a Super stub ) inbd fence  . Would you want do anything to the wing tip ? They had an odd version for high altitude cruise ,think it was 38,000 feet but 40,000 rings a bell . The Sultan of Oman's jet at Brooklands was a sister ship of 7Q-YKH at BUA so plenty of walkround shots of that to help you  . Freight door is just a decal . Can't think of much else visually except BUA's beaver tails were slightly longer but that's maybe a bit deep for 144th ?

BM walkround has The Sultan's same detail as Air Malawi kite

Sultan's specific walk round

http://aircraftwalkaround.hobbyvista.com/vc10/vc10.htm

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1