Telford Show and a No Deal BREXIT---Speculations?

John Everett

I've chosen to make my first trip to Telford just days after a whole new economic system is meant to transform the UK.

Other than a longer than expected customs delays at Heathrow, what speculation might our UK residents offer as to the affects on Scale Model World?

• Like 1

I don't think it will actually be THAT bad. Besides, pigeons are greasy and don't offer many calories for the effort. Domestic cats on the other hand.....

My biggest worry is that the uncertainty in the three or four weeks following the "big event" will simply mean that too few people visit the show, too few of the legendary builders which can only be seen there will decide to stay home instead. 

Hell or High Water I'm still making a go at Telford but I fear this year may be diminished as compared to past events.

2 minutes ago, John Everett said:

I don't think it will actually be THAT bad. Besides, pigeons are greasy and don't offer many calories for the effort. Domestic cats on the other hand.....

We're stockpiling anything that moves . . .

Let's keep this to discussion of the SHOW and the related PRACTICALITIES only please folks, or it'll get closed.  Politics is never welcome, and the b-word even less so. :puke:

1 minute ago, DAG058 said:

I thought this hobby was the one place that we could maybe escape from the outer world for at least 10 minutes. It seems nothing is sacred nowadays...

We've got no problem with people discussing how their trip to and stay at a model show might be affected, but once it strays into politics it'll get closed, don't worry :yes:

(it will stray into politics, as some people just can't resist)

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, John Everett said:

My biggest worry is that the uncertainty in the three or four weeks following the "big event" will simply mean that too few people visit the show, too few of the legendary builders which can only be seen there will decide to stay home instead. 

Hell or High Water I'm still making a go at Telford but I fear this year may be diminished as compared to past events.

Joking aside, it may well prove a challenge for overseas exhibitors to get across the channel - at least as easily as they might otherwise have done before. I think the biggest practical obstacle will be the effects of panic buying (and I don't mean Mr Color paint). Whatever the real impacts, the perception of shortages has the potential to create real shortages if people decide to panic buy, particularly vehicle fuel. Of course panic buying makes no sense at all... Unless every one is doing it. Then it's the only thing that does make sense.

The weak pound should make it a good time to visit though.

• Like 1

I think we owe it to fellow members abroad to help them get a balanced picture of what life is like in the UK at the moment: no doubt their own national presses love lurid headlines of impending doom as much as our own.  We are not all running around in panic-stricken circles.  I do not know a single solitary soul who is even considering panic-buying, let alone doing it.  As La Rochefoucauld said about ghosts, "everyone knows someone who has seen one, but no-one has actually seen one personally".

No argument about the weak pound making it a good time to visit.  Fill yer boots!

• Like 2

I would have a punt the exchange rate will fluctuate to a large degree but that could work for you either way with some careful planning while I suspect that some people will panic buy fuel whatever happens.  Other than that, as a tourist I suspect you will be fine.  Whatever happens on 31Oct19, there will be a 01Nov19. 

• Like 2

Talking with friends from Eire, Germany and Spain they have no worries over getting to Telford from Europe although perhaps with a slight delay.

For a visitor from the USA via Heathrow there should be no difference from existing immigration arrangements - just the normal long queue so wear comfortable shoes and visit the loo before joining the queue!!

As an overseas visitor your big advantage will be that your US$ will be worth more in Pounds due to the decline in the value of the UK£.  Make sure you change your money at your bank or at a travel agency (perhaps the AAA) - you will get a very poor rate of exchange if you change your cash at the airport especially at Heathrow!!

Edited by czechnavy
  • Like 1

So the general feeling from those on the continent is that they will still plan to make the show despite any minor roadblocks?

The US has some very good model builders. But Europe and the UK have a whole different vibe, different artistic take. A desire to see that aspect of "yet another model show" is at the heart of my trip. (Well, that and Duxford....because, Jesus Christ....Duxford!)

So long as there will be full or nearly full attendance as compared to previous years, I'll feel that I've had a good exchange for my travel money.

I can’t help feeling that, with policy apparently being made up from day to day, we can’t predict a thing.  We’ll know what happened only after the last exhibitor has been released from detention that turned out to be unlawful, and got a few thousand for his trouble.

• Like 2

I suppose a fuel shortage could have its advantages - it’ll be easier to get into the car park.

I’ll also have to work at avoiding the compulsion to panic buy. - my stash is already too big.

4 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Where are these boarders boarding and will they be controlled at the border?

Reminds me of a friend who set up as a gardener.  Her van said "Boarders tended".  I asked whether she was allowed to discriminate against day boys.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Where are these boarders boarding and will they be controlled at the border?

Thank you for pointing out my spelling/grammar mistake 👍

I'll try to do better next time 😏

Karl

Edited by Karl

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 5:01 PM, John Everett said:

So the general feeling from those on the continent is that they will still plan to make the show despite any minor roadblocks?

The US has some very good model builders. But Europe and the UK have a whole different vibe, different artistic take. A desire to see that aspect of "yet another model show" is at the heart of my trip. (Well, that and Duxford....because, Jesus Christ....Duxford!)

So long as there will be full or nearly full attendance as compared to previous years, I'll feel that I've had a good exchange for my travel money.

John,

DON'T PANIC.....and keep to your travel plans, you'll be right!

If it's of any interest, I have it on good authority Tom's Model Works will be there, I mean your only from Denver, he's coming from the Western seaboard...:hypnotised:

• 2 weeks later...

Not expecting it to make that much difference, apart from a weaker pound making CMR kits even more expensive !   ( although I have a sneaking feeling that price rises won't be limited to imported kits )

Edited by IanHx