Luftwaffe Tires

JohnT

I have seen a couple of product reviews recently for resin tires for Luftwaffe subjects.  The most recent are Barracuda Products for the Zoukei Mura TA 152.  What I thought odd was seeing them cast with the manufacturers name "Continental".   I have found out that Continental is a German company so thats ok if they were supplying in the 30's and 40's but Halberd product 1/32 Do335 rubber tire set says "Dunlop" on the main wheels and "Continental" on the nose wheel.

I am guessing this is because the wheels have been copied from museum airframes that have replacement tires as I cant imagine the Third Reich buying from the USA or UK in 1945 even with their rubber shortages !

I expect this also means that the numbers on the resin/rubber replacements are also incorrect.

All a bit odd and surprised that if my guess is right that the companies concerned didn't have a penny drop at the design stage

Or am I missing something??

Edited by JohnT
more info found

1 minute ago, lasermonkey said:

IIRC, Dunlop had a factory in Germany (just had a quick look- Dunlop Germany opened in 1893 at Hanau) so I think it's correct.

Cheers,

Mark.

Wow. Didn’t know that. That must be the answer. Thanks

Pity Messerschmitt didn’t have a factory at Luton then :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi 

Someone i know in the UK has a JU-88 tail wheel tyre from a 1941 crash aircraft,  it has dunlop on it and somewhere it had a john bull repair patch as well

cheers

jerry

• Like 2

“Tires”?  “Tires”???  Y oh Y … ?

The most (in)famous example is Ford merrily supplying vehicles to the German Army and taking whatever profit there was home to America.  Goodness knows where the morals of that are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pigsty said:

The most (in)famous example is Ford merrily supplying vehicles to the German Army and taking whatever profit there was home to America.  Goodness knows where the morals of that are.

Double standards at the very least! Henry Ford was a pacifist cancelling a number of contracts Ford of America had signed with British companies (e.g. RR - Merlin) but still readily accepting profits made by the 'oversea's' subsidiaries (UK, Germany, France).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pigsty said:

“Tires”?  “Tires”???  Y oh Y … ?

General Motors, don't you mean? All those Opel Blitz trucks

https://www.globalresearch.ca/hitler-s-carmaker-the-inside-story-of-how-general-motors-helped-mobilize-the-third-reich/5571

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, JohnT said:

Wow. Didn’t know that. That must be the answer. Thanks

Pity Messerschmitt didn’t have a factory at Luton then :D

Did you know that the 3rd Reich's data processing for the Holocaust and the concentration camps was done by IBM's German subsidiary? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pigsty said:

The most (in)famous example is Ford merrily supplying vehicles to the German Army . . . 

edited by BK

Ford (Germany) trucks can often be identified by the egg-shaped grill. They had other grills, such as the car V8 style as well

Whilst US soldiers were drinking Coca-Cola the German soldiers were drinking Fanta, both owned by the Coca-Cola Company of USA.

Allegedly Hilter didn't like Coca-Cola, but as he was a vegetarian and health fanatic he allowed the orange based drink, and the name Fanta is supposed to be shortened from German Fantasie (imagination) or Fantastisch (fantastic) ~ depends which history you believe

Daimler was building armoured cars for both the British army ~ at Coventry, and for the German army ~ in  Genshagen  (afaik)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, JohnT said:

I did know that the SS uniform was designed by Hugo Boss I believe. 

No that's a myth. Hugo Boss was among many companies manufacturing the uniforms but they didn't design it. Hugo Boss did join the nazi party in 1931 and made extensive use of slave labour in the factories.

Edited by elger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am sure Ford of Germany put claims against the Allies for damages to their Company Buildings post war.

No surprise the tin foil hat brigade see conspiracies everywhere !

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Black Knight said:

the name Fanta

That was named after a famous elephant at Berlin Zoo . Amazing facts coming up on this thread . The German Coca Cola also sells an evil drink called Mixt  (pronounced Mixter)  had it the crewroom at Stuttgart . It's …………… Coke and Fanta mixed and it's leaping .

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

The German Coca Cola also sells an evil drink called Mixt  (pronounced Mixter)  had it the crewroom at Stuttgart . It's …………… Coke and Fanta mixed and it's leaping .

Coke and orangeade? There's nothing like a nice cold Spezi on a hot summer's day.

Except for a properly chilled Kristallweizen, of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Daimler was building armoured cars for both the British army ~ at Coventry, and for the German army ~ in  Genshagen  (afaik)

Daimler UK was nothing to do with Daimler-Benz; the founder just bought the right to use the name on his cars, presumably to show quality.

On a more weird note, early RAF reflector sights had glass imported from the Third Reich.  The Austrian manufacturer completed their contract with the Air Ministry in spite of the Anschluss!

• Like 2

Some amazing stuff there. 

Thanks to Elgar for putting right on Hugo Boss. 

On drinks i recall having having a bogweed a few times. Coke and Schweppes grapefruit. Comes out the colour of dishwater and tastes....... interesting. Bit like a sweet and sour

• Like 1

War makes for strange bedfellows, but the tangle of international business and power politics is truly disturbing.

I'm currently (slowly) reading 'Wall Street and the Russian Revolution' by Richard B. Spence. Some families manage to get their fingers into every pie...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

Spezi

Do Coke still make Mixt over there Steve ? Can't find anything about it . I was at Lufthansa Technik late half of 1999.

26 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Do Coke still make Mixt over there Steve ? Can't find anything about it . I was at Lufthansa Technik late half of 1999.

Just been doing a bit of research!

Coca-Cola makes Mezzo-Mix (is this your Mixt?). Then you have wonderfully named competitor products such as Schwip-Schwap, Fritz Mischmasch, and Oettinger Glorietta, among others.

Spezi is a generic name, a bit like hoover for vacuum cleaners or biro for ballpoint pens. It is a brand name for a product by an Augsburg brewery, but is also used legally by Paulaner (Munich) due to a timely bit of licensing. If you want to be terribly formal, request a Cola-Mix.

6 hours ago, Jordi said:

Not much different from Lockheed-Martin, Raytheon, and Boeing supplying arms to Saudi Arabia today.

Let's leave the politics out if this thread please, it has been real interesting so it'd be a shame to get it locked. 😠

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bonus points in this round (if we are happy to continue a digression) 

Weapons used at some scale by both sides in WW2? Excluding, let's say, the odd captured example here and there. Ones that spring to mind -

The 7.92x57mm Mauser cartridge: the standard German long rifle / LMG ammunition, but also used in the British BESA machine gun (a licence-built ZB-53)

The 9x21 mm  Parabellum cartridge

The 1935 pattern Browning Hi-Power, probably the best overall sidearm of the war, which the Germans put into service after they captured the FN factory in Belgium.

The DC-3, in Japanese service as the L2D

Arguably the 40mm Bofors

One might argue about the inventory of the Finnish armed forces but I don't count them for this purpose, given that Finland, despite its co-belligerence with Germany against Russia in the Continuation War, was never formally an Axis power.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

I think the Dornier 24 is the only aircraft to be in service with all sides of the conflict: Germany, The Netherlands/Australia and Spain. One ex-Luftwaffe aircraft was used by Sweden from 1944 on.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, elger said:

No that's a myth. Hugo Boss was among many companies manufacturing the uniforms but they didn't design it. Hugo Boss did join the nazi party in 1931 and made extensive use of slave labour in the factories.

"By the third quarter of 1932, the all-black SS uniform was designed by SS members Karl Diebitsch (artist) and Walter Heck (graphic designer). The Hugo Boss company was one of the companies that produced these black uniforms for the SS. By 1938, the firm was focused on producing Wehrmacht uniforms and later also uniforms for the Waffen-SS ". (Quted via Wikipedia from Köster, Roman. "Hugo Boss, 1924-1945. A Clothing Factory During the Weimar Republic and Third Reich" (PDF). Hugoboss.com. )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1