Defiant Footstep photo or details

Peter Roberts

I am building the Airfix 1/48 Defiant.

I have read that the footstep is a simplified version of the original but cannot find a photo or any details of the actual item.

Does anyone have a photo or details of the footstep, or a source where I can find this please?

Thanks

Peter Roberts

Got this Airfix kit arriving hopefully tomorrow, Fubar57, great pic, almost looks like your forum avatar is about to climb into the turret :)

Yep I know what movie your avatar is from too :)

• Like 1

Very nice kit. Do a Google search for builds, there is a slight hitch with the turret installation and one of the builds has an easy way to alleviate this though I can’t remember which one

• Like 1

Brilliant photo - thank you furbar! (and thanks Jerry for taking the time to have a look)

Re: installing the turret - there is a build on Large Scale Planes that suggests pointing the guns to the tail before attempting to install the turret. I found this works although you still need a little fernangling to get it in, but it does - just - fit.

I also found on my kit that the hinge slots on the ailerons needed opening a bit more, and the ailerons a little trimming, to fit. I also did a little reshaping to the trailing edge to get what I thought was a better look. The landing light covers/opening needs a bit of work to get the covers to fit. I replaced the landing lights with a little plastic cup moulded over some sprue with a Brengun metal landing light fitting over the top. The canopy between the sliding hood and turret floats in mid air (if you are doing this with the sliding hood open), so will be attached to the sliding hood on my model. I have stuck with the kit guns, but there are brass replacements that are very nice ( I wasn't confident of getting these in right places). I had trouble getting one wing root to seat properly, but that may have been me. And the undercarriage doors are a bit thick - there are some replacement Quickboost doors if that is a concern. One thing - if you are doing a nightfighter, these may have been fitted with three pot fishtail exhausts. There was a post here that pointed out, from their ORB, that 141 Squadron ran a trial on these in November 1940 and found less glare and noise. Oh, and the rudder needs control horns on both sides with a slot under the tail plane on each side for the cable to fit into - the control horn, such as it is, is only moulded on one side. Just a few of my thoughts in case of interest.

Many thanks again for the photo - great detail.

PR

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Like 2

Ooops, should add that the Barracuda (Studio) wheels are a good addition too. The Airfix wheels are a bit ordinary in my opinion, and the Barracuda (Studio) tail wheel can be separated a bit more from the yoke with some careful no.11 knife work. Worth checking out.

PR

Edited to avoid any confusion with other Barracuda's, fishy or winged, with apologies for any confusion raised. :) 

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Like 1

I just went down a momentary rabbit-hole of thinking "really? Defiant wheels are the same as Barracuda wheels?" 

- then wondered which Fairey Barracuda kit in 1/48 you would be stealing them from -

-and then finally realised you are referring to these, which do indeed look worth it -

http://barracudacals.com/proddetail.php?prod=BR48308

• Like 1