Revell 1/112 X-Wing Fighter ++Finished++

Jinxman

Here's my offering - a straightforward, simple build. πŸ˜€

I am expecting it to go together quickly, giving me enough time to have a decent bash at weathering. The kit looks nice enough, and comes with a very comprehensive set of colour instructions. Also included is a small decal sheet - I think I'll be painting most of the colour though in an effort to speed things up - we'll see.

Β 

The clear parts were all short-shot - but hats off to Revell who came up with replacements very quickly.

Β 

48587036561_891843edbe_c.jpg

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Nice one JM,I'm not a sci fi fan at all but built this kit a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

I like a decent SF book or film, but don't think I've ever attempted a kit.

Β 

Choice is based purely on getting something finished!

• Like 3

Plans changed somewhat - got an invite to the Jets day at Bruntingthorpe tomorrowΒ - couldn't pass that up could I?

Β 

Therefore going for the silly option of finishing it all on Monday.Β πŸ˜€

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Enjoy Jets day, make sure you get to bed nice and early, ready for Monday. πŸ˜‚

Might just laugh it off, download the photos, crack open a bottle of Jameson's and go for it!

Β 

• Like 1

Back from Brunty, a nice, warm day, lots of noisy jets, and an afternoon listening to TMS as well - a great contest.

Β 

Anyway, enough of that - there's work to do. Here's the X-wing, the time is fast/incorrect, but I have to have it that way to make sure I get places on time.Β πŸ˜€

Β 

48619948661_afb652ec2c_b.jpg

• Like 1

..and it's bed time. Some progress made, going with acrylics, (just the ones from Airfix starter sets), instead of the usual enamels.

Β 

Back for a bit more in six or so hours.Β πŸ˜€

Β 

48620488697_81dd1db03b_b.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Jinxman said:

..and it's bed time. Some progress made, going with acrylics, (just the ones from Airfix starter sets), instead of the usual enamels.

Β 

Back for a bit more in six or so hours.Β πŸ˜€

Β 

Β 

OMG - I hope you haven't overslept ⏰ beep beep beep…   beep beep beep....

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BIG X said:

OMG - I hope you haven't overslept ⏰ beep beep beep…   beep beep beep....

Sort of - couldn't drag myself out until 09:00 - oops!Β πŸ˜€

Β 

A bit more paint on - just waiting for it to dry whilst I mask up the canopy...

Β 

Pics to follow.

• Haha 2

Grey acrylic paint on grey plastic - mmm. I don't think those Airfix starter paints have much covering power.Β Not much of an update, but it's some sort of progress..

Β 

48623155577_61c3f02cab_b.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

Sort of - couldn't drag myself out until 09:00 - oops!Β πŸ˜€

phew...Β  Glad the alarm worked ;)

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

phew...Β  Glad the alarm worked ;)

Cheers. Here's my breakfast - forgot to post the pic earlier - I hadn't really got with the programme..

Β 

48623649757_e86d437136_b.jpg

Β 

...and some more progress, aided by ELO & Black Sabbath. This kit doesn't really need much construction, so it's all about the painting for me. Never used acrylics much, but definitely warming to them as they go on quickly, and give a kind of self-wash effect. One coat never seems to be enough though.

Β 

48623649492_4a7757b5d1_b.jpg

Β 

Off for my porridge - brek becomes din-dins - pics to follow!

• Like 2

..and there's more.

Β 

Lunch was porridge, soaked overnight so no need for dairy, with damsons, blackberries, and a few strawberries. Oh, and some strong coffee..

Β 

Transparencies are on - the new, main one was still short shot, but nowhere near as bad as the original.

Β 

We now have decals on the pilot and R2 unit - very small and fiddly, but easier than painting I think. Panels lines have had a wash - another coffee and I'll see how the wash rubs off, if at all. 🀨

Β 

Music from Suede, and a 'nana for sustenance.

Β 

48624300296_1fd61781ce_b.jpg

Β 

48623948243_22afdc7bde_b.jpg

Β 

48623948653_6ef7c3d573_b.jpg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

It’s a Star Wars off!πŸ˜‚

I reckon we are both in with a shout of finishing. πŸ‘

Β 

I have to admit I have felt less pressured doing this build than the last two Blitzbuild GBs which were hairyplanes.

Β 

Think I'll try some armour next time, though I do have the Millenium Falcon from the similar Revell range in the stash.

Looking Good - I've never tried any Star Wars stuff - but did have hadΒ a very strange request once...

Β 

We had a central heating guy in and he needed access to my cave.Β  He spotted the models and then theΒ spray booth.Β  When he had finished fixing the heating he asked...

Β 

"My brother bought and built one of those Millenium Falcons - that come in weekly parts with a magazine - he built it - but wants it painting - would you do it.Β  Immediately I remembered how much these models that come with magazines actually cost in real terms - A LOT OF MONEY...

Β 

I obviously refused - the idea scared me to death.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Looking Good - I've never tried any Star Wars stuff - but did have hadΒ a very strange request once...

Β 

We had a central heating guy in and he needed access to my cave.Β  He spotted the models and then theΒ spray booth.Β  When he had finished fixing the heating he asked...

Β 

"My brother bought and built one of those Millenium Falcons - that come in weekly parts with a magazine - he built it - but wants it painting - would you do it.Β  Immediately I remembered how much these models that come with magazines actually cost in real terms - A LOT OF MONEY...

Β 

I obviously refused - the idea scared me to death.

I'd have agreed, and taken the next six years to fettle it......not intentional of course, just my usual build pace.πŸ˜€

• Haha 1

Wash washed off - not too bad, but it needed a clear coat before applying really to protect Β - but this is a Blitzbuild.

Β 

Onto the Manics to speed things up - 'nana has survived thus far.

Β 

The pilot has a surprised look on his face - having just been overhauled by a Snowspeeder.

Β 

48625242427_4c92b02f27_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looking good man. The droid decals would have had me in a blitz build meltdown. I’ve realised in this BBGB that because you have less time, you don’t dwell on stuff and actually make a better job, well I do.

Keep the good work up I’m in the garden with two beers in the sun an iPad. One is for HB as requested

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

Looking good man. The droid decals would have had me in a blitz build meltdown. I’ve realised in this BBGB that because you have less time, you don’t dwell on stuff and actually make a better job, well I do.

Keep the good work up I’m in the garden with two beers in the sun an iPad. One is for HB as requested

Thanks - my brother, who lives in the Netherlands has also just informed me that he is enjoying the weather/beer. 😒

Β 

He is enjoying a cheeky little number called Gulpener Gladiator - 10% Dutch lager apparently.

Β 

I will be joining you all shortly in raising a glass to Blitzbuild 2 hopefully.Β πŸ˜„

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jinxman said:

Β 

48625242427_4c92b02f27_b.jpg

I'm guessing that is the 'new mould' Tamiya 1/6 Banana - nice weathering too - very understated - just right - less is more as they say ;)

• Haha 3