Hasegawa 1/72 f-111 kits

Mike Esposito

1 hour ago, Mike Esposito said:

I am sad to find out that this kit does not have a movable wing option. Is it possible or how much work would be required to adjust the sweep angle?

You'd have to sacrifice those lovely flaps and slats, plus the glove flap which tends to be open when the wing is swept forward. Also, there is no sweep mechanism. 

Also does anybody have experience with the Esci/Italeri kit?

It's not too shabby - not as crisp or refined as the Hase, but a close second. 

Plus, the wings can be made to move.  If that floats your boat. ;) 

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 2

Yes it can be achieved by cutting off the slat extenders and cutting the flaps a little. I have done it a few times, and can be found on this thread for the F-111 STGB a few years ago.

• Thanks 2

Mike,

See if the link below helps your flap/slat question. Appears as though the wings were were either swept back or extended when parked, and the flaps/slats could be either down, as pressure bled off of the hydraulic system, or retracted. Hope this helps.

Mike

http://www.f-111.net/models/wings/index.htm

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, Hasegawa moulded "cut lines" on the inside of the fuselage to indicate where you have to remove material to allow the wings to sweep back. Plus, the inboard portion of the wings have two slots in them (these slots slide onto the anchor point for the wing) and one of the slots is for wing swept, the other for extended. None of this is mentioned in the instruction sheet, at least the ones I had.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

If I remember correctly, Hasegawa moulded "cut lines" on the inside of the fuselage to indicate where you have to remove material to allow the wings to sweep back. 

Cheers,

Bill

It certainly does Bill, although I did not know this until I made the one in the link.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 6:04 PM, Mike Esposito said:

Also does anybody have experience with the Esci/Italeri kit?

Thanks😁

Here's my most recent Italeri build  

Italeri-EF-111-A-FP.jpg

and another that I built on ARC

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/151917-tims-f-111a/

Italeri-F111-Amed.jpg

• Like 5

I am building the AMT/Esci F-111A kit as well at the moment, just need to finish the decals. It goes together nicely and has recessed detail. One plus over the Hasegawa kit is the canopy can be posed open (as well as the wing poisiton).

48571017856_6b444792b2_b.jpg

48571017766_9999582de0_b.jpg

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

None of this is mentioned in the instruction sheet, at least the ones I had.

I have most of their initial boxings and none have instructions which show the wings swept back. 

Even though the F-111E instructions show a built kit with the wings tucked in. Go figure. 😎

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jordi said:

Many fond memories of F-111s from my USAF career.  Great airplane.  The RAF really missed out by cancelling their order.

Dont know about that Jordi. We got the Phantom out of that mishap! 

But then, things were not that bad for me as a youngster in the 80s with Phantoms at Leuchars and F-111s regular low level behind Dundee.

Arabest,

Geoff.

Having the slats and flaps all hanging out adds a lot of detail and interest to the model. But there is something about that swept wing lawn-dart shape that gets me every time...

100_7242

Of course, they ought to put the engines back in!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

As with the above you can make the Hasegawa kit into a variable swing. Just lots of work. This is the Academy F-111 kit with the Verlinden update set which has the cockpit and pavtac pod ALQ-131 pod and the GBU-10's. Slats and flaps were cut out and scratch built. Did this in 1993 a retirement gift to me.

F-111F-Aardvark-4

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 1:57 PM, Navy Bird said:

Having the slats and flaps all hanging out adds a lot of detail and interest to the model. But there is something about that swept wing lawn-dart shape that gets me every time...

100_7242

Of course, they ought to put the engines back in!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

Bill, where was the photo taken?

• Like 1

That was taken at the Wings Over The Rockies Museum Denver Colorado I'm guessing. Here is another picture. Was part of the old Lowry AFB. I went to Armament Tech School there in January 1972

100_9668

• Like 1