1/72 Canadian Vickers Delta Mk.II, Special Hobby

That's a real beauty, Fuad! May I ask what paint and surface finish you used? I have a couple of these kits and I was wondering how to get a duller looking silver finish like yours. 

Chris

3 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

That's a real beauty, Fuad! May I ask what paint and surface finish you used? I have a couple of these kits and I was wondering how to get a duller looking silver finish like yours. 

Chris

I used "Dull Aluminium" from "Alclad II".

• Like 2

Canadian Vickers Delta , new one on me . Great job , love the green slime effect on the floats . Overall paint work and weathering is ace  .The launching/retrieving trolley tyre paint is spot on with just the right amount of sheen . Unusual , interesting subject and really very good .

Well done and thanks very much for showing it off . Have to google this kite now

Edited by bzn20

OK, now you're just showing off, Fuad! How in the word did you do the growth and stains on the floats? They look absolutely real! You can almost smell the seaweed and barnacles! Your usual incredible weathering and finish! 👍👍

Mike

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 72modeler said:

OK, now you're just showing off, Fuad! How in the word did you do the growth and stains on the floats? They look absolutely real! You can almost smell the seaweed and barnacles! Your usual incredible weathering and finish! 👍👍

Mike

Honestly, there is nothing unusual here. These are just dots of oil paint (green+brown+gray) over matte acrylic. I just rubbed it with a wide brush.

• Like 1

Great subject and like the rest I love the realistic water slime green on the floats.

Very realistic

One question..

Were the windows actually blue like that or is that a masking agent for painting that hasn't been removed?

14 minutes ago, Winenut said:

Were the windows actually blue like that or is that a masking agent for painting that hasn't been removed?

Good question. Definitely I'm not sure they were blue. But in some photos they look dark, and on boxing the artist also depicted them in blue. Because these glass parts after installation do not look very presentable, I decided to tint them with transparent blue varnish. This plane was mainly engaged in photo intelligence. Maybe he needed to darken the glass for some process? Anyway, you can consider this a kind of artistic device )).

Edited by Fuad

5 minutes ago, Fuad said:

Good question. Definitely I'm not sure they were blue. But in some photos they look dark, and on boxing the artist also depicted them in blue. Because these glass parts after installation do not look very presentable, I decided to tint them with transparent blue varnish. This plane was mainly engaged in photo intelligence. Maybe he needed to darken the glass for some process? Anyway, you can consider this a kind of artistic device )).

Thanks for the response Fuad

Sounds quite possible those original windows were darker in some way

Regards

Bruce

3 hours ago, Fuad said:

Not photo intelligence, but mapping of the vast northern forests of Canada. Up to the 1930's and the use of aerial photography, there were no accurate maps very large areas of the country. 

Lots of Canadian Delta info here: https://documents.techno-science.ca/documents/CASM-Aircrafthistories-CanadianVickersNorthropDeltaMKII.pdf

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/collectionsearch/Pages/collectionsearch.aspx?q=Northrop Delta&DataSource=Images&

Chris

• Like 1

What a beauty!  A combination of skilled construction and superb finishing.  Infinitely better than I could have done in my active modeling years, now, alas, a third of a century ago.

The Delta is one of my areas of interest, and one which I have been researching for years, so here are a couple of comments which are not intended as nitpicking, but for the benefit of modelers.

I note you show the rudder as a metal structure with faintly visible riveting.  This was true of the first Delta but soon after delivery it was replaced with a fabric one which then became standard on all Delta I’s and II’s.

The Delta’s of 120 (BR) including Delta 675 MX·B followed standard RCAF practice of the time of having red/blue B-type upper wing roundels, not the red/white/blue A-type.  This is confirmed by the few photos I have showing this aspect of the squadron’s Deltas.

Keep up the good work!

Carl

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Carl V said:

The Delta’s of 120 (BR) including Delta 675 MX·B followed standard RCAF practice of the time of having red/blue B-type upper wing roundels, not the red/white/blue A-type.  This is confirmed by the few photos I have showing this aspect of the squadron’s Deltas.

Keep up the good work!

Carl

Any chance of seeing those photos, Carl? I'd be most interested in seeing them. I have 3 of the Special Hobby kits and I'm interested in anything/something different.

Chris