F-4E Integrated Combat Turn

Found these slides in the drawer of a vacant desk while doing a clear out at the 6512th Test Squadron at Edwards AFB in 1984. Obvious from the slide frames that these were processed at the base photo lab, but no other info with them. The jet is F-4E 67-0392 of the 33rd Tac Fighter Wing. The "ED" tail code on a 33TFW jet would indicate this is late '60s or early '70s. (The 6510th Test Wing adopted the "ED" tail code in 1982). It looks like it is an Integrated combat turn that is being evaluated, though there are two different store loadings shown here. It looks like Eglin AFB, consistent with the 33TFW. Maybe the jet was being borrowed by the 3246th Test Wing across the field from the 33TFW? USAF images.

Loading 20mm training ammo. Love those stencils. Yes, '392 was a MiG Killer.

67-0392 33tfw ED KVPS 05

GBU-8 HOBOS (Homing Bomb System) on the right wing, inert GBU-10 on the left.

67-0392 33tfw ED KVPS 04

67-0392 33tfw ED KVPS 03cr

12 x inert Mk82 on the centerline, AGM-45 Shrike anti-radiation missile training rounds on the inboards.

67-0392 33tfw ED KVPS 02

67-0392 33tfw ED KVPS 01

The fuel piping would indicate that this is taking place in a refueling hot pit.

Thanks for looking,

Sven

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Old Viper Tester said:

. Love those stencils

Who wouldn't, really? :rofl:

I don't suppose you have full size pics of this airframe, right? It would make an interesting modelling subject 😉

Ciao

Top notch pics, really interesting to see these. The stbd side is particularly revealing, I noticed how those stencils are all over the place, not level with each other at all! And the weathering on the leading edges etc is great for references, equally the satin or even gloss radome in comparison to the camo. Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, whiskey said:

A very simple web search reveals that 0392 was actually a double MiG- killer and is currently hanging out at the Virginia Air & Space Center in Hampton, VA.

phantom-670392-main.jpg

Thanks whiskey, I did find it - I was just hoping Sven had some pics of his own, knowing his ability :)

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1