Tamiya Red Army Matilda- why more expensive?

Earnest

Hi guys,

I am a newb in AFV that wants to build some tanks.

One of my favs being Matilda, in my searches, I found the Red Army Matilda by Tamiya more or less 15 bucks more expensive than the original Matilda.

Can somebody tell me why is that?

Searched for it but couldn't find something.

TIA

Das, you should be ok unless you had planned to build a Russian Matilda out of you British kit?

Was wondering,  does The Red Army boxing funnel the builder into an only Russian operated vehicle?  Obviously the crew figures and decals do, but in place of return rollers are skids - a Russian innovation to address buildup of mud and snow.  I suppose the return rollers might still be present if the sprues are the same?  Other details that have changed are more heavier/prominent hinges on the side skirts and solid front locker hatches.

The separate track links are also a different style -  Spud version ( T.D.5910 track) as opposed to the flat type found in the initial boxing.   One thing Tamiya did not copy  was the track enhancement by Soviet crews.  Additional metals strips were welded in place to  provide better grip in snow.

regards,

Jack

I had intended a British version, probably CS.  Not sure if desert or home front.  Sounds like I got the right kit after all, then.  But I can't understand why change the track material options between the 2 kits. Why not give the option of vinyl and indy link in both kits?  I can't stand vinyl tracks or afford metal ones so I opted for the TD5910 "spud" tracks from Bronco and the CS barrel from Aber.

On 8/20/2019 at 3:28 PM, Earnest said:

Hi guys,

I am a newb in AFV that wants to build some tanks.

One of my favs being Matilda, in my searches, I found the Red Army Matilda by Tamiya more or less 15 bucks more expensive than the original Matilda.

Can somebody tell me why is that?

Searched for it but couldn't find something.

TIA

Are you talking about the original British Matilda from the 70s or the ‘new’ British Matilda from 2009?

Those kits are world’s apart so if you are seeing a price difference with the original then I am not surprised

However, if you are seeing a big difference between the the Russian one and the 2009 British Matilda then that is more puzzling as I doubt there is much difference.

Someone mentioned the old one had rubber tracks only - true of the 70s version but not the 2009 version, that comes with both rubber (which are pretty good) and ‘link and length’.

If there is a big price difference with the 2009 version then maybe it is just that the Russian one has come out at the Tamiya new kit high price.

Cheers,

Nigel