Novo Black Widow.XXXFinishedXXXXXX

stevej60

21 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's,I sprayed some fine lines over the airframe just to break up the monotone look,sadly the decal's Martin kindly sent self

distructed which was not surprising given their vintage so I resorted to the spares box for insignia a period serial looks like a Widow

would have looked.Started the glazing painting so next photos should be gallery shots.

20190908_202357

Sorry 'bout that, Steve.  I thought they were ok.

Regards

Martin

On 8/30/2019 at 6:35 PM, PeterB said:

Reminds me of the "improved formula" glue that came out back in the 70's I think it was. at the time glue sniffing bacame a problem. Smelled nice, but did not stick anything - my Airfix Do 17F fell apart repeatedly. Looking good Steve.

Pete

I remember it being called Kit Stick and having a citrus smell.

• Like 4

Hi Steve,

your modelling abilities are becoming stellar! Congrats on a very tasty Widow!

Keep them coming.

Cheers

JR

PS: I can't remember when glue sniffing became a  problem, but I have always been a sucker for bitter almond-smelling glues! The best one was a white gooey paste in a little plastic jar, and it had a small "spoon" fitted in the lid. I smelled it any occasion I could... So it kind of made me a junkie at a very tender age, although it never did anything weird to me... 

Then a couple of years ago in the DRC I bought  a bunch of marker pens for my work... and they had exactly the same bitter almond smell... I had quite a bit of explaining to do, as I kept having black mustaches and black nose... Proust's madeleines were definitely far more user friendly...

But I am sure they did not glue plastic kits worth a damn...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Another superb model Steve. I know this has been a bit of a trial so well done on getting it finished, it will be a fine addition to the gallery.

21 minutes ago, jean said:

PS: I can't remember when glue sniffing became a  problem, but I have always been a sucker for bitter almond-smelling glues! The best one was a white gooey paste in a little plastic jar, and it had a small "spoon" fitted in the lid. I smelled it any occasion I could... So it kind of made me a junkie at a very tender age, although it never did anything weird to me..

I seem to remember almond smelling glue being used in UK Primary Schools years ago, a case of 'get em hooked early' I guess. Nothing like that when I was in school though, just some horrible brown stuff. As an apprentice, I did develop a liking for the cellulose based primer that was sprayed on aircraft assemblies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well done Steve, yet another excellent build from one of BM’s most prolific GB modellers. It’s just taken me the best part of the day to add some stencil decals to my Canberra, I’m staggered how you achieve all this in such time. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2019 at 2:37 PM, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's,I sprayed some fine lines over the airframe just to break up the monotone look,sadly the decal's Martin kindly sent self

distructed which was not surprising given their vintage so I resorted to the spares box for insignia a period serial looks like a Widow

would have looked.Started the glazing painting so next photos should be gallery shots.

20190908_202357

I really like what you have done with the black here. I specifically have been searching for advice on what to do on black aircraft. Can you explain your technique a little more? Looks like you did overall flat black, what did you use to go over the panel lines and break it up? Just black with a teeny drop of white in it, or some incredibly dark grey?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi Propforward.sprayed in tamiya black then with quick passes on low power with the airbrush using their NATO black just to break up the single shade.

• Thanks 2