1965 Heller Bloch 152 +++Finished+++

JOCKNEY

Hi Pat,

Looks fine to me - I will be interested to see how the greys come out as the Sovereign range may not be quite the same as the old White Ensign colours.

Pete

10 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s looking great Pat and I’m starting to stray back to Enamels (from Lacquers) so may need to invest in some of Jamie’s Colourcoat paints.. looks like they go on well enough, whats the best way to thin them? 

Cheers.. Dave 

I've used the paint straight from the tin, and they have behaved impeccably.

7 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi Pat,

Looks fine to me - I will be interested to see how the greys come out as the Sovereign range may not be quite the same as the old White Ensign colours.

Pete

Funny you should mention that Pete, I did recall buying a few tins of White Ensigns Japanese colours and the Amerio (early A6M colour) was not quite what I expected when applied? Let me just say that I wasn’t exactly sure how it was supposed to look like either, however I was expected a lighter tint rather than what I got. Please note - I am not stating that it is inaccurate or than I am an authoritative expert on the subject! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Just now, JOCKNEY said:

I've used the paint straight from the tin, and they have behaved impeccably.

I’d need to thin them though the AB though. Thanks, I’ll keep searching. 

Dave,

May be wrong but I seem to recall that White Ensign suggested Cellulose Thinners, which is probably why I bought a tin a few years ago, However checking Sovereign's info pages they recommend their own thinners ( small size seems to be out of stock at the moment but they do a big one) but also say White Spirit and Cellulose work.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Pete, unfortunately these paints are not exactly easy to purchase down in Oz, but not exactly impossible either. I just have to throw a few more dollars at them to bring them here. 
Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

whats the best way to thin them?

with the specific Colourcoats thinners.

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies  mentioned recently the White Ensign did them (and him) no favours by suggesting white spirit, the specific thinners  is this

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/products/colourcoats-thinners?variant=17002207428

Colourcoats Thinners offers a number of key benefits to enamel paint users including:

·         Reduced odours during use compared to white spirits or cellulose thinners

·         Reduced drying times compared to white spirits

·         Less aggressive towards styrene plastics than cellulose thinners

·         If desired, excess thinned paints can be returned to Colourcoats tins without premature curing in the tin.

means you can thin paint, for airbrushing, and return any leftovers to the tin with no problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Appreciate that Troy. Believe it or not I’ve rediscovered Humbrol enamels again, although really should invest in some of Jamie’s paints in the near future. 
Cheers.. Dave 

30 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi Pat,

Pete

18 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Funny you should mention that Pete, I did recall buying a few tins of White Ensigns Japanese colours and the Amerio (early A6M colour) was not quite what I expected when applied? Let me just say that I wasn’t exactly sure how it was supposed to look like either, however I was expected a lighter tint rather than what I got. Please note - I am not stating that it is inaccurate or than I am an authoritative expert on the subject! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Some of the old White Ensign colours have been replaced by Sovereign in light of better research since the WE days,  so if they are different, the new ones are the result of new information, and are as accurate as the information available, and as Jamie does frequent here, and is interested in getting the paint right, so takes onboard new research, (and has done primary research on WW2 RN colours) and will change colours if needed,  so they are as good as you can get.

My only 'complaint' is I really don't like using enamel paint, so I have not tried them... 

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

The biggest problem with paint over here is that whilst Acrylics can be sent by normal post, enamels need to go parcel/courier and sprays don't seem to be postable at all, so unless you have a stockist in Oz it is going to be extremely difficult - particularly thinners I would imagine as they are usually inflammable.

Pete

Later - Sovereign say Creative Models Australia in Sydney are their Oz stockist I see.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

Just now, Troy Smith said:

My only 'complaint' is I really don't like using enamel paint, so I have not tried them... 

Sounds like you need to get onboard as well Troy! 

Just now, Rabbit Leader said:

Sounds like you need to get onboard as well Troy! 

in my youth I used enamels quite happily. Never noticed the smell or hassle.

But, having used Alkyd paints for decorating as an adult,  I found that i really didn't like the solvents, and the clean up, and now if at all possible I use acrylic. 

My front door is alkyd, and I'd not get the same finish using acrylic,  but my window frames are now all acrylic,  as is interior woodwork,  not much cop for gloss, but the satin is great..

I do still have some cans of humbrol from circa 1981... I even have a can of Airfix M7 flesh, which was always better than the ghastly Humbrol 61...

I've said this a few times, but IMO,  some of the Airfix paint were much better colour and scale matches than their Humbrol equivalent..  I remember age 9 doing a Revell Spitfire with Humbrol 30 as Airfix M3 was out of stock, and being very unimpressed at how blue it was even then... though I did use Airfix paint as that is what Airfix said to use...

I still have wrecks from then in glorious Airfix colour.... I should do some comparison pics with the RAF museum paint chart....

@JOCKNEY  apologies for the thread drift.  Neat MB152 as well

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/3/2019 at 5:19 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice progress Pat.. looks like a type to expect in next years Heller GB... I'm starting to stash up on a few Heller classics as we speak! 

Cheers.. Dave 

So am i... The one local swap-meet this weekend usually has a large number of classic Heller kits. The guy selling them usually asks $2-$3 a piece. So i plan on grabbing a few for that group build when I'm there. 

• Like 2

On 03/11/2019 at 07:18, JOCKNEY said:

Finally a chance to do a bit more to this one, while working away.

Looking great, Pat, and good use of the time spent in hotels etc. Got to protect the little beauty during the travelling, though! I have been known to put a part-completed kit well cushioned inside a shoe box and surrounded by clothes in my travel holdall, which ended up inside the aircraft hold. I've still to take paints 'on the road' though! Keep up the good work. All the best. Mike

• Thanks 1

Another nice one Pat.  Congratulations!

I get the impression that you're accruing quite a few French fighters.  I'm not sure if that's true, or whether my perceptions are being coloured by the memory of your Vichy Hawk 'mission'!

Cheers

Cliff

• Haha 2

Hi Cliff

Thanks very much, you are correct Sir.

I fancied building something different so very much looking forward to the Heller Classic GB next year, as a chance to really go for it !

Cheers Pat 

• Like 3