1965 Heller Bloch 152 +++Finished+++

JOCKNEY

Having failed to find my TSR2 kit (1965 the decision was taken to scrap it !) I had a look through the stash to see what I had already (Always a good idea) and found I had the Smer release of the Heller Bloch MB.152 which was first released in 1965.

IMG_4532

Picture from Scalemates

First glance shows the decals missing, so ill pop a wanted request on the wanted bit here on BM.

cheers Pat

• Like 4

Welcome to this GB Pat and I must say, you do seem to be a sucker for these old fossil kits aren’t you? I’m sorry to say, I don’t have any decals remotely close to what you need, so hopefully someone here can come to your rescue soon enough. 

Cheers and I hope you enjoy another madcap GB ride.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Long overdue pictures of the kit

IMG_4544

IMG_4545

IMG_4546

Now, a favour to ask, does anyone know where I can find the painting guide for this one ? I only have the front of the box and the instructions don't have a painting guide on them.

If anyone has this kit can they take a photo of the back of the box please.

cheers Pat

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Sorry Pat, not my subject strength, however going by that boxtop it looks as if the nose was yellow!! 

Cheers.. Dave (all in jest of course). 

Was that yellow or orange......🤣

• Haha 4

Interesting.  Almost but not quite the same pattern as on my sheet.  The colour guide has gone slightly askew.  The light blue-grey should be the underside (not surprisingly), the dark blue-grey the lightest colour on the top and the dark brown the darkest.  A bit difficult to tell it from the green in places, at least on my monitor.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We both have way way too many builds on the go and for a slight moment there I’d even thought about adding to your Flying Boats GB as well, Pat!! Alas.. that’s probably just another bad dream stuck inside my weary head. 

Thanks for progressing your 1965 subject,  hope it comes along well for you. So far, so good. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Did a bit more on this one today, bit of filling but not too bad

IMG_4579

Those of you who like things exact look away now..

Plastic from food packaging used to provide a floor of the cockpit / wheel well as there isnt one in the kit

IMG_4580

cheers Pat

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Hi Pat,

Watch those ruddy cannon - I broke mine off at least twice when painting and putting on the decs. Also seem to remember the triangular windows behind the seat were a pain, though you may already have put them in - can't tell!

Looking good.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Pat,

I have always found WWII French colours a bit confusing as sources do not always agree and the various profiles and pics of built kits do not match up with the so called authentic colours as usual. For what it is worth here are my Blochs.

DSC02030

The pic is a bit light! The one on the left has just come down from the scrap box in my roof and is the original Heller kit from about 1974, painted in the old Humbrol Authentics which contained 2 Browns - Chocolat and Terre Fonce, 2 Greys - Gris Blue Clair and Gris Blue Fonce, 1 Green - Vert and a colour they called Khaki which should I believe be a sort of Olive Drab but theirs was actually a light brown - Hu26. I have used the Vert which is a bit too light by comparison with modern paints, Chocolat which sources now say was for bombers, both the greys -fonce (dark) on the top and Clair (light) underneath (though perhaps I got them the wrong way round as the underside is darker), and added a few patches of OD I think.

The one on the right is a SMER (ex Heller) kit I bought a few years ago and is painted with Colourcoats I bought from White Ensign before they sold the range on to Sovereign. In those days they did no less than 3 Verts ranging from fairly light (though not as light as the Humbrol - see Breguet below) to Dark which again I think was for Bombers - these days Sovereign only seem to do one Vert. I chose instead to use their Khaki which is a sort of OD colour, together with one of their 3 Browns, probably Ombree Calcinee (which is also called dark earth but is redder than the RAF version). The also did a Chocolat (Burnt Sienna) and a lighter Terre D'Ombe (Natural/raw earth) - all 3 are still in the Colourcoats range I think. I also used their greys though I thought they were a bit dark - I did talk to them about that and they said they were accurate, but I decided to lighten them a bit, and also added some of their Bleu Ciel to the underside colour so I make no claims for the accuracy of the colours. Also the actual colour scheme is probably wrong as some pics seem to show a much "fussier" pattern with lots of smaller patches which are a lot curvier.

Sources seem split between using Vert or Khaki, and some have patches of a darker brown as well, so take your pick - I did use a "Vert" on some of the other 5 kits I built, not to mention a lighter brown and blue ciel unders - incidentally the white stripe on the fuselage of the Potez was to avoid it being confused with the Me110, though Vichy later adopted a similar marking. Also there is some debate about the shades of red and blue in the roundels some say light and some say darker.

DSC00948-crop

The IPMS Stockholm "Urban's Colour Charts" give a pretty good idea of the various colours and Humbrol etc equivalents. Incidentally most pics do not show yellow prop tips, though the imported Hawks may have had them.

Hope that helps.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 6

Thanks very much @PeterB really appreciate all the info. I have a set of French airforce colour i got from sovereign a while ago so will be using these.

I used them on a Vichy Curtiss Hawk i did a while ago, which turned into a nightmare when all the stripes migrated under the masking tape !

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

Yes the red and yellow Vichy stripes can be a pain - I think if I were doing them again I would use red decal stripes over a yellow painted background.

Bloch

This is the sort of finish I was aiming for. The narrative says the brown is similar to "Earth Red FS30117" which is probably  close to Colourcoats Ombre Calcinee and the green is OD about FS24087 similar to their Khaki, so I used them plus grey and blue as decribed. The cowling may be a different brown. As Jaimie correctly pointed out on a different GB the current use of FS colours in articles can be misleading as they may not completely match the earlier paints that the various airforces actually used but it does give you a rough idea of the colour.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

Looks like this is coming up rather nicely and quickly Pat, well done. Nice bit of commentary on French colours there Pete. I’ve next to no idea on this subject so this is all helpful should I decide to stray from the norm and go all Frenchy for next years Heller GB, I fancy something with a flat nose kinda like a Scottish Terrier!

Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Time for an update, painting started

IMG_4628

Despite stirring the paints, it's going to need a couple of coats from each colour, but the paint goes on really well.

That's shameless advertising of a product on BM..... Absolutely, free samples grateful received 🤣

IMG_4629

Getting there

IMG_4632

• Like 4

That’s looking great Pat and I’m starting to stray back to Enamels (from Lacquers) so may need to invest in some of Jamie’s Colourcoat paints.. looks like they go on well enough, whats the best way to thin them? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1