Grumman Martlet MkIV, Airfix 1/72

So this one took WAAAY longer than it should have done. Major issues with my (then) choice of primer, Stynlrez - as soon as I started applying masking for the topcoats it all just peeled straight off the plastic. No adhesion what so ever, so a full strip off job (mostly with parcel tape!) and start again.

48578519876_48c9afcb2b_b.jpg

OOB, except for some masking tape belts, Vallejo Model Air, Alclad primer.

48578665402_3f35165e32_b.jpg

48578673557_564e099e13_b.jpg

48578528231_95fecc95b0_b.jpg

48578525451_f5eab44ae1_b.jpg

48578670532_5645a9e254_b.jpg

48578521606_9164587bdc_b.jpg

Enjoy 🙂

• Like 43

On 8/19/2019 at 9:24 PM, BikingLampy said:

So this one took WAAAY longer than it should have done. Major issues with my (then) choice of primer, Stynlrez - as soon as I started applying masking for the topcoats it all just peeled straight off the plastic. No adhesion what so ever, so a full strip off job (mostly with parcel tape!) and start again.

Nice end result.

I use Stynylrez to prime my models and had similar problems with it peeling when masked. I found that if you make sure the surface is clean and not too polished it sticks really well. The problem lies in grease from your hands transferring to the model through handling. Once ready to prime I wash the model with warm water and detergent then rinse with cold water and dry. Then just before priming I wipe down it down with 90% IPA while wearing disposable gloves. Leave the IPA to evaporate, then spray the primer. From cleaning the surface to after priming I never touch the surface with a bare hand. Also de-tacking the masking tape helps.

That is really lovely (I was going to say 'cute' because that was my first thought!). I don't generally like folded aircraft (planes should have wings, for heaven's sake!) but (a) it just really works and (b) your finish is superb. I've never used Stynylrez but this is not the first time I've read less than stellar comments about it (it's on my 'don't even bother trying it' list) and I'm always impressed with just how good simple tape belts look; I really must summon up the courage to have a go myself (and save a fortune on brass/fabric/steel aftermarket stuff!)...

Glad you pressed on because she looks great. By the way, I see potential in the Stynlrez as a great way to weather aircraft. Not sure how, but maybe apply their black and then pull up the mask before final painting. This will create different shades in the final colors.  Just a suggestion -- perhaps maybe a bad one!

A great recovery from a bad problem.  It's come out very well.

However, I've never understood why plastic modellers use primers.  I've never used primer in my life and never had adhesion problems. All I do is wash the completed model in warm soapy water and rinse before painting to remove grease and dust.  I don't even use primer for Alclad.