Hasegawa 1/32 Nakajima Ki-44 Shoki 'Tojo' - 47th Independent Air Squadron, Saigon, January 1942

Here's my seventh completion of the year; Hasegawa's 1/32 Nakajima Ki-44 Shoki 'Tojo' in the markings an aircraft of the Dokoritsu 47th Hiko Chutai (47th Independent Air Squadron), formed to operationally test the Ki-44, and which became unofficially known as the Kawasemi Butai (Kingfisher Force). According the the kit instructions this particular aircraft was flown by Captain Susumu Jinbo, flight leader of the second Hentai (flight), based in Saigon in Vichy French Indo-China in January 1942.

DSCN0628a.jpg

DSCN0630a.jpg

DSCN0632a.jpg

DSCN0635a.jpg

DSCN0637a.jpg

DSCN0638a.jpg

The kit was built almost oob but with the wing guns replaced by Master brass barrels and the exhaust outlets replaced by Quickboost resin replacements, purely to avoid having to clean up a seam right down the middle of the inside of the kit parts. It's a very nice kit indeed, assembly was very straightforward so I don't really have much to say about that, the supplied pilot figure is excellent and painted up very nicely, transfers are included for both his aviator's chronograph (on a string around his neck) and his name-tag on the parachute harness – different name-tags are provided for all of the kit's three marking options, which is a nice touch - if you will permit me the indulgence, here he is:

DSCN0624.jpg

I used the Eduard canopy mask set which conveniently provides a complete second set for the front windscreen for the later version without a hole for the telescopic gunsight; I used this as an interior mask and sprayed the canopy inside and out – I had to mask the sliding section interior by hand, but it was worth the effort as the Eduard set gives you exterior masks for the rear part of the sliding canopy with a frame down the middle. As the Hasegawa instructions indicate that this frame is an interior one, I filled the gap in the outside Eduard masks with Tamiya tape cut to length.

The rather complex aerial arrangement was made from Infini 110 denier white lycra thread, threaded through a trio of Bobs Buckles eyelets and anchored with a dab of gel superglue.

The real aircraft arrived painted in overall IJA #1 Hairyokushoku (Colourcoats ACJ12), the faintly greenish-grey of the IJAAF but they were quickly given a topside coating of brown; what brown this actually was is the subject of some conjecture including the suggestion that this was paint left behind by the French Armee de l'Air and that is a possibility as Saigon had been a French air force base until it's occupation by the Japanese in 1940. If that was the case it could have been either Terre de Sienne Naturel or Ombre Calcinée, but in the end I went with Colourcoats ACJ13 IJN H2 Early War Camo Brown, only noticing afterwards that this was a Navy colour and not an Army one but anyway, it is an earth brown colour and I think I will get away with it as long as I keep my big mouth shut.

The scheme in question is sometimes depicted as a heavy mottle and sometimes as a solid colour. From the few photographs available it is clear both that it was indeed a heavy mottle and that it wore quite quickly off areas such as walkways; I attempted to duplicate this by a heavy mottle over the base colour with various small areas given a dab of masking fluid beforehand and that rubbed off afterwards. Both the mottle and the paint chipping might be a bit over- or under-done but it's about as good as I could do it and I think it looks okay. I'm not terribly happy with the Aotake effect in the wheelbays but it was my third attempt at it and again, I decided that it was as good as it was going to get. The pilot figure was painted mostly with Citadel acrylic paint and washes.

The kit decals were used and were a little thick but otherwise okay apart from the red-outlined white fuselage band which wasn't quite long enough to meet up, I used a small piece of another white fuselage band on the transfer sheet (noted as 'not for use' in the instructions) to patch up the gap and then repainted the red outline on the replacement part. The final coat was Xtracolor Flat Varnish and then the guns, navigation lights and aerial wire were added. While I am not in the habit of displaying my models with the canopy open, in this case it simply fitted better open than closed, so I turned a necessity into a virtue and left it open.

Reference material was largely sourced from Nick Millman's “Ki-44 'Tojo' Aces of World War 2” published by Osprey which I recommend highly if you are building this, or the later versions, of the Shoki.

Apologies for the vast amount of verbiage accompanying this one :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 13