1/72 Airfix P-61 "It's like, how much more black could this be?"

Hi All

As the end is in sight for the Whirlinds, my wandering eye caught this as a reduced masking candidate

DSCF8402.jpg

Alas, as a charity shop find, it didn't come with the 3D glasses to enable me to view the box art in all its' glory

DSCF8403.jpg

However, it looks all there

DSCF8404.jpg

There's a bonus etch sheet :wall: (from BILEK, looking suspiciously like another European etch manufacturer...)

DSCF8405.jpg

And a surprise bonus Easter Egg of what looks like an Airfix Fiesler Storch

DSCF8406.jpg

I might build them both, or I might get so far and just put them in the bin.

Stay tuned!

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

Hey Prof,

Those decals look past it. If you haven’t sourced any already I bought a few part used sheets mainly for the lady in the dark scheme. There’ll be a few p-61b schemes left over. Let me know if you’re after anything in particular and I can send it you for free.

Bal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All

18 hours ago, Balbir said:

Hey Prof,

Those decals look past it. If you haven’t sourced any already I bought a few part used sheets mainly for the lady in the dark scheme. There’ll be a few p-61b schemes left over. Let me know if you’re after anything in particular and I can send it you for free.

Bal

Thanks for the offer Bal, I'm headed towards the lady scheme myself.

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Build them Prof! More experiments will, no doubt, occur to you as you progress :) 

Hi Ced, yes, unfortunately there would seem to be experimentation on the horizon, as after a quick glance through the etch instructions they bear scant resemblance to the Airfix kit parts.

Perhaps I should get the Airwaves.

:rage:

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm still in a state of shock that you actually found a model kit in a charity shop! For the amount of years I've been dragged round them, I've never found one (not counting the Matchbox Twin Otter I saw once with a £20 price label. It's probably still there at that price!)

Looking forward to the build of this Airfix classic....and don't bin the Storch! It's not a bad little kit.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What @fightersweep said!

I've never found anything interesting in those kind of shops.

3D boxart was a new thing though. Never seen that before!

I had an inkling of idea to start that GWH P-61 during the autumn and this thread does not make it easier ro resist.

You evil person you! :nono:

• Haha 1

Nothing to do with this thread other than the charity shop bit, but I acquired a partially built Constructo large scale Bounty from our local Oxfam; hull was complete, masts and spars cut and tapered, all (!!!) I had to do was step the masts, set up the spars, make the sails and rig it. It's in a large display case (30" x 24" x 15") on top of a bookcase. The hull had been beautifully built. I have no idea why the build had stopped and it ended up in Oxfam, could of course be illness or worse. I just couldn't leave it there.

• Like 1

No problem Prof.

i should have said the sheets were from kits world and printscale.

If you get stuck the offer is still there.

i admire you that you manage to build kits, I’ve only managed one su-27 in the last 2 years. 

Bal

• Thanks 1

Even the Rolling Stones said "Paint it Black!" Do Not, repeat, Do Not do one in O.D./neutral grey...it is a BLACK widow, after all! (Wish Airfix had done a new-tool P-61A/B instead of the re-issue, as it is not better than the existing 1/72 DML or Hobbyboss kits; I have two of the original Airfix boxings, and the molds were already showing their age...as well as the transparencies.)

Mike

• Like 2

I did this kit a loooong time ago.  I was maybe 12, so it didn't turn out all that great, but I've looked at it recently and it looks like it was a pretty good kit.  I'm interested to see how it comes out!

• Like 1

Hi All

On 8/20/2019 at 10:02 PM, Martian Hale said:

Black, BLACK! the colour of death, we're all doomed, doomed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=palevTnLiec

Martian 👽

I was wondering if doing it in NATO black would lessen the doomage, perhaps more along the lines of "Maligned. we're all maligned!"?

18 hours ago, hairystick said:

"Reduced masking"...??? Have you noticed the amount of glazing the Widow carries?:drink:

Er, yeah, I'm doing the solid nose  -B version so that cuts out some masking, however it doesn't make up for the greenhouses as we shall see :banghead:

4 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Wonder if this is bad as that one 1/48 kit of the P-61

Let's find out, shall we?

To get an idea of what will be seen of the interior, and how much of the Anglo Saxon Thesaurus I should invest in it, I put the front canopy in place.

DSCF8416.jpg

Not a terrible fit, considering its' age

Clear(ish), too.

DSCF8417.jpg

But wait, I'm sure they didn't each have a circular sun roof?

DSCF8418.jpg

Aah, ejector pin marks on the inside of clear parts. Fiendish.

And the absence of canopy framing. Nice touch.

Still, there's always the etch to draw the eye inward

DSCF8419.jpg

IP, side walls, furniture, everything? Looks like there's some scratch building in my dark future :unsure:

Anyhoo, the first job is to carefully remove all those cupcake rivet heads and use them to fill in the sink marks.

DSCF8420.jpg

Now then, where's that Storch...

Cheers

Steve

• Like 10

Sunroofs? Or is it sunrooves? 

The current trend is, I think, to fill the hole with CA and then Micro-mesh it.

Worth an experiment?

• Like 1

Hi All

On 8/21/2019 at 11:11 PM, CedB said:

Sunroofs? Or is it sunrooves?

Hi Ced, that's been the trickiest part of the build so far, deciding on the terminology!

On 8/21/2019 at 11:11 PM, CedB said:

The current trend is, I think, to fill the hole with CA and then Micro-mesh it.

Worth an experiment?

21 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Depending on the depth of the marks I would just sand them out and polish back to clarity.

Helpful of Mars 👽

21 hours ago, Thom216 said:

It's a fare bit of work, but it looks very promising. Are there any vac canopies for the kit or one that would suit? If not, just sand, polish and Kleer dip.

I may be tempted towards an after market vac canopy, it depends on how I get on with scraping them out and / or filling them in with CA then polishing them up.

So, as with any decision that affects the overall successful outcome of a project, I'm going to put off doing anything about it until the very last moment.

15 hours ago, Courageous said:

Just to wet you appetite, I thought I'd drop this in here as it was just recently built by one of the club member's, it's the Great Wall Hobby kit in 1/48.

FB-IMG-1566456186430.jpg

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, that is exactly the finish I'm aiming for, the satin nearly black, the weary chipping, and the exhaust staining. Can I use it for my RFI?

Until then, I've been going over the surfaces with a small file and a sturdy sanding stick

DSCF8421.jpg

I don't want to get rid of all surface detail as that would be uninteresting, just tone it down a couple of notches

I also fitted the cockpit together to give an idea of the road ahead

DSCF8424.jpg

DSCF8426.jpg

DSCF8427.jpg

DSCF8428.jpg

DSCF8429.jpg

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ProfSparks said:

I also fitted the cockpit together to give an idea of the road ahead