USAF Lockheed C-5B Galaxy, Roden 1:144

Well I've finally finished this build!  I think this has taken me the longest time to build a model.

Painting all those wheels put me off, because the detail of the hubs was not very well defined.  I needed to be in the right frame of mind to do it (each of the wheels came in two halves...), and considering I was in the middle of decorating my house, I didn't really want to do fiddly painting of wheels too much in my free time.

I've got an An-124 and An-225 upstairs to build...  I might do those wheels-up!!

The detail of the kit is pretty good, and this is the first Roden kit I've made.

The decal sheet though was a bit of a disappointment - there was not enough length for the walkway markings.  And the decals were very fragile.

The outline of the clear part of the decals was also a bit rough in places, and caused the decal to lift when I was applying the varnish, and then caused a bit of silvering in places as air got under it.

IMG_7885

IMG_7887

IMG_7888

IMG_7886

IMG_7889

• Like 42

29 minutes ago, Shalako said:

A must-have kit!!! Nice build and thanks for the decals-warning!

Thank you, someone did point out in my WIP thread that there are other decals available:

On 03/01/2019 at 03:41,  CaracalModels said: 

Please note that the unit names on the sheet are complete fiction: there is no "82th AMW" or "346th AWM" (or any "AWM" for that matter). They could not read the actual unit names on Travis aircraft (60th AMW / 349th AMW); so they made up the numbers.

If you are content with the kit decals, you might at least want to modify them; and find an alternate source for the gray national insignia, which will likely disappear on the AMC Gray fuselage once applied.

Also, the walkway markings and data stencils should be black like the national insignia, not the greyish colours supplied. Again the Caracal sheet supplies replacement walkway markings, unit markings, etc.

• Like 1

Great job on this kit, it looks beautiful.  Disapointing to hear of the decal problems.  I have done several Roden kits and decal problems abounded but they were much earlier kits so I had hopped they would have resolved this issue.

8 hours ago, Hobo said:

Looks fantastic Neilg! Thank you for sharing. Looks like the kit is very accurate in outline.

Thank you.

Something looks odd about the nose to me - looks a little too flat on the upper surface, which makes it look too pointy.

I always thought the C-5 had a bulbous front end, but it's been a few years since I was last up close to one at Fairford.

On 8/20/2019 at 8:56 AM, neilg said:

Something looks odd about the nose to me - looks a little too flat on the upper surface, which makes it look too pointy.

I always thought the C-5 had a bulbous front end, but it's been a few years since I was last up close to one at Fairford.

First off. Very nice job!
I think you're right about the nose. It looks like the top is ok. Maybe lacking a very slight curvature. It looks weird at the cockpit area too.
As for the bottom. The curve should be continuous to the nose but the kit appears to curve sharply forward of the gear then straight to the nose.
spacer.png

Also if you think painting all of those wheels are a nightmare. Trying washing all of them on a full sized one!
Back in the 1980's I worked at Galaxy 5000, the Travis wash rack. It took over 6 hours to wash the mains and nose gear by hand.

Cheers
Alan

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sinistervampire319 said:

First off. Very nice job!
I think you're right about the nose. It looks like the top is ok. Maybe lacking a very slight curvature. It looks weird at the cockpit area too.
As for the bottom. The curve should be continuous to the nose but the kit appears to curve sharply forward of the gear then straight to the nose.
spacer.png

Also if you think painting all of those wheels are a nightmare. Trying washing all of them on a full sized one!
Back in the 1980's I worked at Galaxy 5000, the Travis wash rack. It took over 6 hours to wash the mains and nose gear by hand.

Cheers
Alan

But you don't need a magnifying glass to do that 😝

I just checked the An-225's wheels and they don't have the best definition between hub and tyre either.

I think I'll start on the gear first, then at least it's out of the way before I run out of energy...

• Like 2

Cracking job on the mighty Galaxy.

I have tve Roden kit in my stash too as well as the old Otaki kit.

I wonder about the difference in building those two apart from the more detailed wings on the Roden kit.

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

Awesome aircraft and a build that more than does it justice. It's there A WIP thread? 

What kind of size is the model? Aren't they about twice the size of the V Bombers? 

Thanks a lot!  Yes, there was a short WIP thread:

to be honest, it was a simple build, but it took me a long time with the work I was doing on the house, plus the delay I had with building up the courage to paint all of the wheels.

There are no dimensions on the box, and I've got it hanging up from the ceiling now, but the span is roughly 47 cm, and the length is about 50 cm.

Edited by neilg
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

What kind of size is the model? Aren't they about twice the size of the V Bombers? 

Sorry to jump in here, but when I built mine I was also building an Airfix 1/72 Victor at the same time and posted a picture of both on one of the posts of the build when I had added the wings. Here it is:-

resized_8be484bf-fee1-4c4f-9f01-c38bf905

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Sorry to jump in here, but when I built mine I was also building an Airfix 1/72 Victor at the same time and posted a picture of both on one of the posts of the build when I had added the wings. Here it is:-

resized_8be484bf-fee1-4c4f-9f01-c38bf905

So twice the size is about right, Victor is 1/72 and C5 is 1/144. Nice Victor as well.

Edited by Adam Poultney