738NAS Seahawk Aerobatic Team - which red?

rholland

Model Art decal instructions suggest BS860c:539 red or BS860c:538 post office red. Can anyone provide a definite colour please? It appears from one photograph that the nosewheel legs were painted a colour that looks the same as the red. Any ideas / confirmation? Thanks for any help.

Richard in NZ

There is no such a standard as BS 380C. The BS 380 (no suffix) was not a colour standard but a tables for comparison of hardness scales. I suppose that Model Art decals or you might confuse with the BS 381C, colours for specific purposes which is a standard for the camouflage colours.

BS 381C No. 538 is Post Office Red (Munsell equivalent is 5R 3.5/16) while No. 538 is Red (Munsell  equivalent is 7.5R 4/16). No. 539 Red was added in 1970 for the Post Office Service use in place of No. 538 which still remains  a standard colour for other purposes. The two colours look almost the same at a glance, but No. 539 is a bit lighter and more dull.

I don't know which red the Red Devils used for their Sea Hawks but there is no noticeable difference between the two reds. For your reference, the Model Alliance Decals quoted No. 538 Post Office Red.

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

Edited by Junchan
  • Like 2

Only a guess on my part, but would think that they would have used the same 'post-office' red that was used in the roundels, being a red that was already kicking around in stores.  Certainly appear the same shaded in photos.

The nose legs were generally painted red, but at least one had a standard coloured leg.

• Like 2

I went with Post Office Red for mine, having seen the actual aircraft a long time ago I thought it was the nearest colour.

Friend of mine who was on the base also conformed PO red as the colour.

If you want to make the model a bit more interesting two of these flew with naval codes and retained the red paint after the team disbanded.

If you are interested I have the serial numbers and codes somewhere.

Ian

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ivand said:

Very nice, Julien!

But which Humbrol red? Even now they have about 6 of them on the charts.

Good old gloss 19, applied with the hairy stick. I had the 19 in a spray can but it turns out they had filled the can with Humbrol 20 Crimson!

Julien

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Julien said:

Good old gloss 19, applied with the hairy stick.

And you did that very well!

12 hours ago, Julien said:

I had the 19 in a spray can but it turns out they had filled the can with Humbrol 20 Crimson!

Ouch, that's a nasty surprise. ☹️

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 21:28, ivand said:

And you did that very well!

Ouch, that's a nasty surprise. ☹️

Thx, and yes always test your spray can first, just in case!

• Like 1